Latency Is Low But Character Models Aren't Loading

This started with the league updates to battle.net, where the characters would take maybe 30 seconds or so to load into the game. Which is fine if I’m not being sent in as backfill. However, now the characters just aren’t loading at all. My latency is also hovering around 50 so it’s clearly not the issue. I’m using a fairly new gaming desktop (omen) and everything else runs pretty fast so I’m fairly certain it’s a bug issue. I should’ve got the player’s information, but I was in a match with someone yesterday complaining about a similar issue.

If ur game is on a HDD the issue is self explanitory.

Games load 11X Slower on HDDs.

Install it on a SSD.

Unfortunately, that explains nothing because I’ve had this computer almost a year and this issue only started a few weeks ago.

Latency has nothing to do with character models loading. Character models taking time to load is the result of your computer’s hard disk drive seeking for character files.

Having a computer for a year prior reinforces that you need a solid state drive (if you don’t already) – harddisk drives write from the inside of the disk platter outwards, meaning if you installed the game when the computer was new, but a new update changed files, the needle in a HDD is literally bouncing back and forth between the inner part of the platter, and the outer edge, with a year’s worth of files inbetween.

SSDs have no moving parts, file seeking is handled by a controller built into the drive and as mentioned previously it’s something like an order of magnitude faster.

Quick Google search tells me that HP Omen desktops typicallly only have a 1TB HDD, with a 256 GB SSD as a more expensive add-on.