Laggy shots and delayed actions with perfect latency and IND

I will just leave this here for you in regards to the USB issue.

Put your mouse on its own IRQ/Less crowded:

"The IRQ Resource of the mouse is an important consideration. Before checking this, mine was on IRQ 16, which is the same as both my GPU and sound card. While I couldn’t personally change the IRQ for the GPU or sound card because there’s only 1 available slot for each on my mobo, you can change the IRQ Resource of your mouse by changing the USB port is plugged into.

After I tested a few ports, I got my mouse on its own IRQ 23. This not only made the mini-spikes in DPC latency checker and LatencyMon fewer and farther between, demonstrating improved input lag, it also polls much more consistently @ 1000Hz in MouseMovementRecorder. Before there was ~2 strange polling deviations around 900-950Hz and 1050-1000Hz every 50 polling measurements during constant high speed mouse movement, and now it sticks to 1000Hz +/- 5Hz like a laser beam.

Here’s how I went about checking the IRQ resource and changing it:

1. Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter, then View > Devices by connection. Find your USB host controllers and open them up until your find ‘HID-compliant mouse’ as a ‘USB Input Device’. Then right-click the USB host controller that you found it under (‘Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller’ if you’re using the Microsoft driver), Properties > Resources tab, and look for the number in parentheses at the end of the IRQ line.

2. Windows key + R, type msinfo32.exe and hit enter. Under Hardware Resources > IRQs, you can see which other devices your mouse’s USB host controller is sharing IRQ Resources with. Ideally, it would have an IRQ Resource all its own, but you definitely want to try and have it on a different one than your GPU, sound card, in-use network adapter, and possibly even USB keyboard (I use PS/2 to avoid this one altogether).

3. If your mouse is on a conflicting IRQ Resource, swap it to another USB 2.0 port** and repeat these steps until you find an IRQ Resource all its own or at least on the least-conflicting one available."

1 Like

Appreciate all the useful info, I’ll take a look at this for my setup.

This applies for gfx card and sound card btw make sure they don’t use the same Bus in device manager.

Thanks for chiming in, but unfortunately, I’ve tried all of these. In fact, my current motherboard is brand new which I bought thinking it would eliminate these issues that I was already experiencing with my previous board. It’s a little better, but the issues are still there.

I can’t test offline in Overwatch of course, but even if I go online, these issues don’t really pop up unless the servers get crowded. If there are only 4-5 people playing in a custom game, everything feels very good. Once it fills up to more than 8 people, mouse input seems to take a hit. It’s not as precise, feels floaty and actions are delayed. And servers with competitive settings on are even worse (ranked or custom lobbies). QP doesn’t seem to be affected as much.

I don’t have native USB 2.0 ports on my Skylake PC either. I believe Intel did away with it from that generation onwards. Any port I plug into (whether marked USB 3 or 2.0 on the IO panel outside my computer) shows up under Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 in Device Manager.

And this has an IRQ of -3, which doesn’t change regardless of what port I plug the mouse in.

Just wanted to give a quick update. Since I installed the new Nvidia driver I haven’t had any issues so far. At first I felt like that issue was coming up again and I was raging a little at my computer, then I remembered I forgot to ‘disable full screen optimizations’ on my new windows install. Then when I enabled that option immediately it was perfect again. I won’t be around for the weekend to test it thoroughly but I’ll start my testing again on Sunday night and hopefully the problem doesn’t come back.

I’m on the latest Nvidia driver, and after disabling full screen optimizations, my SIM is nearly stable in game.

However, I’m still getting weird delays on some shots, like they’re registering noticeably later than I press the mouse button. I can’t seem to fix it at all.

I’m probably going to get the Asrock Taichi Ultimate x470 & 2700X on the 23rd if they don’t run out of stock. Then hopefully that solves my problem.

I’m still getting the same delay on and off varying from boot to boot.

I installed MSI Afterburner and monitored my frametimes. My results are interesting…in the training grounds my frametime is almost completely consistent. But in a ranked game it spikes very frequently with consistent fps.

I suggest you monitor your frametimes Ashr and see what yours looks like. Don’t open the netgraph while you’re doing this test though. It seems to affect the frametimes quite a bit. At least for me anyways.

htttps://imgur.com/hqZNYMk
(remove one t from htttps)
Orange is Training Grounds.
Green is ranked.

Yeah, I was getting crazy SIM spikes too… but after a whole week of testing, I think I’ve actually finally solved the delay issues, and it’s stayed good after a whole day of testing.

But I think the whole reason I was getting issues in the first place was because of my GTX 970. A lot of people on the internet experience stutter, delay and weird hit reg in games like Overwatch and CS:GO using the same GPU. It seems like the card itself has strange throttling and downclocking problems when your CPU usage is high. It might still help on your 1080, but I’m not really sure of AMD.

Anyway, what I did was follow the first step here - htttps://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1270041177

If the first option he mentioned doesn’t help, you can try the others in his little chart too.

Secondly, I went to Processor Power Management in my High Performance power profile setting and set the Maximum Processor State value to 99% instead of the default 100%.

Now my Widow scopes and other abilities don’t have that crappy delay anymore and my hit registration is ON POINT. My SIM is also spiking far less.

1 Like

I have seen that fix before but to be honest I didn’t test it thoroughly. I’ll definitely try it again and see what happens. That’s funny that the GPUs are getting throttled by the CPUs…I’ve actually never heard of that before.

I actually went ahead and bought a Ryzen 2700x best decision I’ve made in a long long time. 18-25% load running overwatch at 1440p and @4200mhz dual monitors & background apps like spotify/firefox running. When I upgraded to the Ryzen processor my input lag is from what I can tell gone…but that might be more because what you were talking about regarding CPU usage. My 7700k Was anywhere between 70-90% load when only running overwatch, as well as the GPU being around 90+%. I’m going to setup my 7700k in my other computer case and see if I can’t resolve the issue on that one too with your fix.

I’ll run tests with your settings this evening, thanks for the update!

Did you guys found the issue ? did you check Network drivers , Windows TCP Optimizer tweaks ? there are many things with the network , not just computer, even if your ping is 45ms or lower it doesn’t mean the packets arrive as soon as they received or sent

Nope. Turns out I have bigger problems. After a few days, everything started feeling horrible again, and turns out, even Fortnite had the same issues - delayed input, floaty crosshair and a very desynced feel.

But I discovered that my PC feels VERY different if I just change the wall sockets it’s plugged into. One socket makes it feel sluggish, the other makes it feel “random” and what not. I think I have a very deep rooted electrical problem :frowning:

Not sure what more I can do. I’ve given up and haven’t played Overwatch properly in weeks.

1709 version of windows helps a lot. But even then I have to restart OW sometimes when I start to get SIM spikes with voicelines.