Key facts of Microsoft Acquistion of Activision/Blizzard

Hey everyone, with rumor and speculation flying through the roof. I think it is important to lay out some key facts about the recently announced acquisition of ActivisionBlizzard by Microsoft.

General Facts

• The total acquisition is announced for $68.7 billion USD
  • The acquisition is acquired for $95 per share in an all-cash transaction (prior to markets opening on January 18th, ATVI was listed for $65.39 USD per share).
  • ActivisionBlizzard will function autonomously until the deal is complete
  • There are still pending regulatory approvals
  • Bobby Kotick remains CEO of ActivisionBlizzard at this time (news articles have stated he is to leave after the acquisition is complete [WSJ])
  • Presuming no problems, the deal should be complete in the Summer of 2023 (at the end of the Microsoft Fiscal Year)
  • The lawsuit between ActivisionBlizzard and the California Department of Fair Housing and Employment is still ongoing
  • The strike between members of Raven Studios QA and Activision Blizzard is still going

Regarding Blizzard

• Mike Ybarra remains president of Blizzard at this time (he formerly worked as the Vice President of Gaming for Microsoft until joining Blizzard in 2019)
  • No new games or titles have been announced since the time of this formal announcement
  • There are no immediate announcements of changes to how we currently play on BattleNet for PC and is not likely to be any until the deal is complete
  • It is not known if this news will affect the continuation of BlizzCon
  • The official press release from Xbox does say that when the deal has been completed they will look into bringing as many of Activision Blizzard’s titles to Xbox Game Pass

Regarding Overwatch

• AndyB has confirmed that there is not any news to Overwatch relating to this acquisition
  • There are no details on if this news affects esport programs like the Overwatch League
Announcement from Xbox (news.xbox.com)
Microsoft Press Release (news.microsoft.com)
E-mail Letter from Bobby Kotick (activisionblizzard.com/newsroom)
34 Likes

Im sure there will be even more pressure to get rid of Kotick both from inside and outside now. But im curious about the future

6 Likes

Will Activision Blizzard be releasing a statement indicating Overwatch 2 still being available for PS/Switch console players?

2 Likes

This acquisition is likely the reason he has stuck around because changing a CEO would delay it quite a bit. He probably is gone after it finishes just so they can have someone without the baggage.

2 Likes

im actually very curious to see how much of an impact it even has on OW2…cause this deal could very well not be done done by the time the game even launches…i have to imagine internally OW2 already has a launch schedule and such…especially if theyre planning on starting OWL on it in a few months time…

6 Likes

biggest eyeroll I’ve ever given

5 Likes

To clarify, Bobby Kotick is still the CEO, however news articles are reporting he will leave once the acquisition is complete.

5 Likes

What excuses now for overwatch 2 development progress? Also about mercy dubbing on brazil since her unfortunately has died, BLIZZARD DIDN’T RELEASE ANY NOTES ABOUT THIS.

I think this is a Tragedy. But from an evil businessman’s standpoint. The move is a power play.

• Pending Lawsuits
  • Enough dirty laundry in the basket to potentially bankrupt the company in lawsuits.
  • A CEO that is in LOTS o trouble.

It is a smart tactical move on their part. Sell out, shell out and GET OUT. so they can leave with their money and cut their losses while they board the life raft and avoid more charges.

3 Likes

Is… this false then?

I know he stays CEO for the duration of the transition… but it looks like he’s gone when it’s done.

EDIT

Ahhh… ok so we’re going with “only things that have been clearly and legally defined” then. Got it.

2 Likes

With a bloated $250 million payout.

2 Likes

Not like Kotick walks away with millions either way.

And voilĂ !

Blizzard will not have to make a new IP for at least another 15 years!

I’m on PS4, will progress carry over to other platforms if M$ decided to pull support from PS/Nintendo?

Way too early to be speculating on that. Again the deal is not expected to be done until Summer 2023.

I called it. :rofl:

1 Like

We can only HOPE they reject the payment and decide against it. But something tells me it is a set-n-stone deal. Im not happy at all. Just because of how Microsoft treats their community. Which is the lowest of the low.

The deal is signed. The only thing that could hold up the deal is any government-regulatory interjections, which I don’t see happening based on all of the available facts.

3 Likes

There won’t be anymore pressure to get rid of Kotick. His job will simply no longer exist once the deal goes through. Microsoft has zero reason to keep the Blizzard name going once they own the IP’s.

1 Like

Do yall think there’s any chance of OW or WoW going free to play because of this?

Or do acquisitions like this always retain their game’s monetization strategy afterwards?

I just remember Archeage completely changing its monetization after it got passed around