Just add loot boxes back

Well, I am earning that Junkerqueen skin that makes her look normal just by playing. No idea how long they will allow that, but at the start, at least, it will feel like old times.

They’re making money via literally every way possible.

It’s really scummy.

Could at least not put new heroes in the Battle-Pass, maybe give a few free coins every event…

What would they put in them? They’re not producing content that you can earn for free anymore.

Then make something? Put all of the Overwatch 1 stuff in there, then add some extra stuff.

For example, when a season ends, everything in the free track could be added to the loot pool.

Apex made a billion in a year and they still have loot boxes you can get on level up for free.

3 Likes

Lootboxes made a billion or whatever in Overwatch too, no? The higher ups want more :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re not gonna do that… they want to make everyone pay real money now. Which sucks. Especially for any new players who haven’t unlocked OW1 event skins. I feel like they should offer a little something more to ftp players… like I get not having 5+ legendary skins every event, but the current offering just seems… so bland and empty. Like they’re tossing you the lint from their pocket.

I do wonder if they’ll be able to keep the playerbase alive… if events end up recycling modes and you can’t get any skins during them, plenty of people who used to jump back into the game when an event was on are just not going to bother. And others aren’t going to come back cos they can’t play the new heroes without doing their homework. And some people will just get bored of playing the same thing without the serotonin boost of ‘earning’ anything.

3 Likes

I am sure they will learn REAL fast if this Halloween event does not do us right.

1 Like

Yep. At the very least they need to not recycle them until they start rolling out the PVE (I would like them to not be recycled at all, even after that point, but I don’t think it’d be as much of a killer if there’s PVE to play)

Fortunately we’re off to a good start with the new Junkenstein mode.

We don’t know that. For all we know it could be the exact same gamemode, but maybe they FINALLY add a single new boss.

It’s not. The promotional material used had them in areas that haven’t been in Junkenstein before, and they had custom geometry.

Craig also said this:

Edit: For reference, this is what I’m talking about

The top image is down in the area with the mega health pack in the second point, and the bottom image is at the end of the castle and has obvious changes to the map.

2 Likes

I’m wary about the new Junkenstein mode… seems it will actually be a new one after 6 years, but we’ve seen no footage… might end up being remarkably similar, which would be a let down, and then if they drag it out again the year after then that’s a major flop. Will we get new modes for other events? Who knows.

As for PvE… chances are it will be paid, which would turn a lot of people away and fail to pull others in. I still having a tiny shred of hope that it might be free just to try and breath some life into what is seeming like a very stale game but I mostly think they’ll just use it as a way to squeeze more money out of people.

3 Likes

I would fully expect it to be paid. That’s been the general assumption since 2019.

If I had to guess, they’ll put the story campaign in the battle pass. Maybe the hero missions will be free though, or it’ll be a one-time purchase.

I would have been fine with a paid, full price complete campaign which is basically a new game (what it was originally pitched as). As an episodic thing… well, how many episodes? Chances are you’ll end up paying far more than you would for a new game just to complete it… I’m not paying $300 to complete the OW storymode.

So yeah, since they say it’s episodic, for me it’s free or nothing. I can’t support predatory practices like that. But I will still probably look up videos to keep up with the lore even if I don’t play the game anymore (cos I’m attached to the characters/world).

3 Likes

True, I can understand that. I would’ve liked for it to be a full campaign as well. For now I’m waiting to see exactly how they will monetise it (If at all, of course) and how many missions they’ll release at a time etc.

3 Likes

That’s at least something. Only took them 6 damn years.

How much are you willing to bet that they’ll try to put a price tag on this?

Like, you can play the old s*** from 6 years ago for free, but you need to pay to get the PrEMiUM Junkentein’s Revenge.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, they covered that as well :smile:

(The fact they even specified it though is worrying for future events lmao)

1 Like

There should be an easy way to get at least OW1 Cosmetics. For legacy players (like most of us), what about introducing 25 credits per match? That would still be 76 games per legendary skin.
Above all, Blizzard scamts us, since we basically bought Overwatch the right to own all the cosmetics, which is now being taken from us because we now have to buy the OW1 Cosmetics.

Give us opportunities to get Legacy Credits in OW2 with a reasonable effort (60 coins (60ct) for excessive play per week is far too little and absolutely not appropriate for the effort) like 25 Legacy Credits per match.
I have neither the time nor the nerve to do these challenges and as long as the prices are not fair I will not take any money in my hands.

2 Likes

OW2 was a huge container of extremely useless objects (voiceline, icons, sprays) and OW2 adds many others not so noteworthy (profile ccoper, charms, souvenirs). The problem then is … why would people choose to buy 3-4 voicelines knowing they didn’t have enough coins yet to have a cool legendary skin? We think of the new users, whose customization margin is significantly reduced IF the prices seen in the tests were not Placeholders. We would find ourselves one of the games so full of GB of skins … and see only 1% used or chosen from the BP prizes (IF you only buy that).

To old users (especially collectors) the sale of the BP with the exclusives is already a guaranteed sale of 10 € / $ every two months rather than seeing the era of OW1 where people only spent on the purchase of the game and “maybe” 50 lootboxes.

We can just say “they want more, accept it”, but to me personally this answer just seems a tacit acceptance rather than saying that it is not correct in the already larger profit margin than before.

The loot box is a market that is disappearing. This we can accept, but in such a large gallery of extremely useless items the absence of a drop with the cataloging of rarity … it’s ridiculous not to have anything like that while playing constantly, BP or not. Especially considering that the standard galleries EXIST regardless of the battlepass and are really full of content. We do not need the Bundles at all if (always taking the prices of the testing seen online as confirmed) to get something of a hero I have to spend 2000 coins which are the equivalent of 2 battle passes (confirmed by devs previously) … and among other things already reduced to 31%!

For this reason I believe that testing may have something non-definitive in the prices and internal values of the game. It is not a useless hope, but a fairly honest logic that even Niandra and Styloss have limited themselves not to condemn, because they do not know if that was a “tester” or “end user” situation. it is assumed that as with Sojourn, their anticipated opinion has some weight on the form of balance to be given to the structure of the game. I saw a lot of belief in the BP progression (which was exactly what we were interested in advertising), but we have several doubts from the almost purposely limited testing gallery.

I hope it’s clear: I’m not singing victory over saying “ah, but those were placeholders, now they will give correct prices” … but every now and then it’s okay to use the logic on the quantities in game (especially the old contents to be unlocked for new players) without too much defeatism “greedy blizzard”.

2 Likes

I didn’t say to necessarily accept it. I was illustrating the point that it is the higher ups that are making the final decision for these prices.

1 Like