I've started reporting smurfs

It may be overkill, it may be pointless, and to some it may seem petty. But, I’ve gotten in the habit of reporting smurfs in competitive.

I know “Smurfs is bad” isn’t exactly a fresh topic, but I thought I’d throw my hat into the ring here. Smurfs, frankly, turn the game (specifically comp) far more frustrating and luck based than it should be. If I join a comp game and see half the enemy is half Smurf, which is like, 40 to 50 percent of the time, and get steamrolled, there’s not even the satisfaction of knowing ’ I did this wrong, be more careful next game’ because as a gold, getting juggled by a master level doomfist, constantly headshot by the enemy snipers or having everything I do mitigated by perfect shielding or bubbles by the enemy tanks, I’m left with the feeling of ‘what the hell can I do?’

Furthermore, having smurfs on my team is almost as tilting, cos I don’t like the feeling of getting carried. All I want is a competitive game, where everyone is even in skill, all improving despite winning or losing.

If there was a way to mark smurfs for blizz to easily pick them out and put them in their own games or, if necessary, ban them, that would be fine. Until that happens, I’m now reporting smurfs.

Tldr; tilted gold reporting smurfs for having and giving an unfair advantage

71 Likes

Hey, if they have thrown down to get there, 100% you should report the hell out of them.

I thank you for your service :slight_smile:

18 Likes

I do it too. They’re a plague in Bronze. I just recently made a topic with a replay of three of them in my sub-1000 SR game. They had the audacity to tell me they didn’t break any rules.

Them just being down here is breaking the rules. I want to play people who are equally as bad (or good) as I am).

I lost a match before, where I was consistently getting picks, but still got outplayed because I couldn’t deal with the enemy Orisa having the awareness her team lacked, and Tracer who is, frankly, a menace in all ranks. But that was outplaying, gg, tried my best even if it wasn’t good enough, and I still consistently took out their Ana and Ashe multiple times.

Smurf matches are not fair matches. I don’t want to be carried and be useless all game, I don’t want to be spawncamped and be useless all game. I actually want to play. The. Game.

I don’t know why this is such a hard concept for everyone else to comprehend.

23 Likes

Nice! Always report smurfs, both teams

19 Likes

They did, report 'em. Throwing down is 100% against the rules, playing on other peoples accounts is ALSO 100% against the rules.

They had to break em to be there, so report away, you are only making the game better by doing so.

2 Likes

As a gold player you aren’t seeing multiple masters players on just the enemy team regularly, you literally have 10x the playerbase so if everyone was playing together in gold and master’s you’d have 1 ish per game, the more likely Chance is they’re just people of your rank on new accounts and you’re looking for something to blame

1 Like

May I ask.

What evidence do you look for when trying to decide someone deserves to be reported.

I mean like, 100% nailed on fool-proof stuff I can use to do the same…

3 Likes

I moved to pc 2,5 weeks ago. I have been playing console since season 3.

Ive hit masters last weekend and the amount of times I got called smurf is insane.
Same goes for my friend who has been on pc for a month now.

I am legit new to pc and ow is so much easier on pc.

4 Likes

So basically you’re reporting anyone on the enemy team who plays better then you?

Or do you have a way to identify smurfs with 100% accuracy?

9 Likes

smurfs defenders on your way mate, brace yourself.

oh I was late to warn him :no_mouth:

but I always like ‘‘so you report who’s better than you’’… lines

like… obvious that person is better lol, is a experienced player on a new acc XD

11 Likes

If Masters players are 1/10th the size of gold, and you mixed them all you’d have a population that was 1/11th Masters players, giving you at least one Master’s player in 64.95% of your games.

If even 1% of the population you match with is smurfs, then you’d still have a smurf in your match in more than 1 out of 10 games (10.47%), and if it’s 2% of the population then once in five games (19.93%).

It does not take very many smurfs in the population before you see them often because only one out of 11 players you match with has to be a smurf.

8 Likes
  • low level account
  • dumb battle tag
  • highly overperforming for the rank they are in
  • toxic (especially towards their own teammates)

If all 4 criteria apply the error margin should be extremely low.

15 Likes

unless they actually say they are smurfing you’re just reporting people for being good at the game.

4 Likes

It sure is! If Blizz cared, they’d have dealt with it long ago! :rofl:

Translation: I still support a dying game that promotes abuse of the SR system by letting players buy new accounts to ‘reset’ their MMR and ‘smurf’ below their MMR.

I won’t stop playing though because I enjoy being fodder for these MMR abusers and lamely use the report system to try and get change to happen… :rofl:

When you’re reporting a player for playing good, low chance CS is going to look at previous matches to see if they have thrown matches.
They get dozens of reports, so it really only helps if you report them whilst they are throwing.

someone “obviously” playing better in 1 match isn’t really proof of anything.

What proof do I need to look out for?

3 Likes

As you should. If Blizzard refuses to address the issue then the only alternative is to report them for their behavior.

5 Likes

But who do you report? What does a player look at to go “yes, they are definitely smurfing”

I ask because I don’t want people legitimately playing on alt accounts to be banned. Or people who are just popping off.

So I would like to know what to look for exactly.

3 Likes

You have no way to definitively prove that. Even players with some map awareness could be console converts.

I mean, I’ve been accused of smurfing despite being level 600~ and hardstuck in diamond/plat. I don’t trust you guys to make this judgement because you frankly don’t know so you just report people who play better than you.

Idk… When i solo Q as tracer i roll most games as if i was smurfing… :sweat_smile:

When i pop on widow i look like a smurf

When i duo Q with my higher friend i often feel like throwing.

Solo Q afterwards feels like i just dropped 2 ranks

I’m imho so used to diamonds and the occasionaly master in my games that i feel like plat (where i am) is often a joke in terms of difficulty…

3 Likes