"It's my teammates' fault" has become "it's the matchmaker's fault"

Do you people not know what the word “rigged” means? If you can consistently win, then its clearly not rigged. By definition

Its like claiming the blackjack table is fixed while the person right next to you is counting cards and robbing the house blind.

2 Likes

It’s more like playing a digital version of roulette where black comes up 53% of the time instead of 50%. They need plausible deniability or people conclude it’s unfair and game suffers. Just enough abuse of psychology to increase revenue, without making it blatant.

2 Likes

If youre comparing ow games to roulette, you dont understand one of the two. Or both. Or analogies.

Roulette is about chance. If you honestly think rank is up to chance, youre completely detached from the reality of how this game works.

If you were somehow incapable of making your own luck in this game, people wouldnt smurf and they wouldnt boost. They wouldnt even be able to.

2 Likes

But why would Blizzard favor some and not others? Rigging a multiplayer game implies rigging against and for a certain group of people.

1 Like

Be gone with your logic!

1 Like

If it’s being rigged(again, hypothetical, because we have no proof for OR against it), it’s not for or against anyone. The matchmaker isn’t trying to keep people down(or up). Rather, it’s trying to slow mobility to keep people playing longer. Blizzard doesn’t care if you’re in silver, diamond, or GM. They care if you’re keeping their game alive(and buying lootboxes).

This would be accomplished by offsetting your trends with players on opposing ones to make a game as even as possible. This results in as close to a 50-50 game as possible, whether or not you’re at your real SR. If you’re wondering how this is rigging, I go into more depth here:

Again, I’m not claiming this is absolutely the case, simply posing a theory. There is quite a bit of reason for Blizzard to have such a system from a financial standpoint.

3 Likes

I forgot to add one: 5G

2 Likes

lack of the lack
Beyond of lack.
So deep in the lack that lack has come out of lack to multiply itself…

Y’know, people act like smurfs aren’t a big issue, but as someone who plays support in comp exclusively, I get a lot of team mates confirming they’re smurfs when I offer to pocket any smurfs as Mercy.

Lower ranks are just “whoever has the better smurf wins.” The Diamond ranked smurfs get rolled by the GM smurfs and then blame team mates for being the ones stopping them from winning. They say “It’s not me! I’m a Diamond smurf that just bought this level 25 account! YOU ALL have to be the problem!”

I swear though, a smurf that’s on a losing team is more likely to rage and outright throw compared to a legit ranked player (and by throw I mean deliberately leaving, sitting in spawn, etc.)

6 Likes

Actually just yesterday I had a match (in silver) where one DPS claimed to be a smurf and demanded the other dps give him genji. Then he also demanded that I pocket him (I was mercy) and kept threatening to throw if people didnt comply. He didnt actually throw, and I never checked his profile to confirm if he was a smurf or anything, but you might be onto something.

3 Likes

Devs lack of effort and updates

1 Like

I don’t understand why the developers are not working on a freely accessible interface through which ALL MATCH DATA can be retrieved in a standardized format.
That would eliminate so much confusion.

Instead, projects such as Pursuit.gg, which actually showed relevant information in comparison to Overbuff, are forced to stop.

If everything is fine with the matchmaker, it should be no problem to simply look at 10000 records objectively and prove that.

3 Likes

“I never make mistakes. I always play perfectly. I would be top500 if it weren’t for x, y and z.”

Said by all delusional players who won’t improve themselves.

Yeah it can’t be these reasons at all that I keep getting:

• Leavers. I get wayyy more leavers than leavers on the other team. I am talking a lot which results all in SR loss.

• 2 dive tanks (especially on maps like Hanamura and Temple of Anubis where you really could use a shield tank. I rarely get a Rein or other actual shield tank.

• DPS heals. Many times I will sit there in front of Ana with low health and she ignores me and seems to be focusing on attacking the enemy and even chasing them.

But yeah. All my fault I keep getting teams like this and carry.

I love when people make threads like this. Must be nice to not really get things like a lot of us get quite often.

If you offer to pocket me as Mercy, I’ll also lie and tell you I’m a smurf. They’re not a big problem.

But you don’t. You get the things you complain about LESS OFTEN on your team than the other team. Why? Because there are 5 people who can do those things on your team, and 6 who can do them on the other team (because I assume you don’t do them yourself). You just don’t NOTICE when they happen on the other team. But you BENEFIT from everything you’re complaining about, and you are at a HIGHER rank because of them.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone truly at their rank would want a pocket Mercy unless they’re a Pharah. I mean, I’d love to have heals and damage boost when appropriate, but I know that it’s be more beneficial if Mercy tried helping everyone rather than just one person.

The self-proclaimed smurfs I’ve pocketed seem to have been genuine. Their aim and sense is definitely at a higher level than the rank they’re at from what I’ve seen in the replay system from their perspective.

I strongly disagree. I’ve played thousands of competitive games and very rarely see someone obviously smurfing. I have accounts from low gold to high plat, so I see about 60% of the player base.

Latency is an excuse

Well start a thread or two! Maybe it’ll start #TRENDING!

Hell, I’ll back you up with posts on a few alt accounts to try to overtake these pathetic “matchmaking is rigged” lunacy threads.

1 Like

Well…I know it’s your opinion and all, but I do see a parallel between the perception of smurf populations and cheaters. Most players whom I’ve accused of hacking write off their performance as smurfing, and other players in the match (including team mates) are far more likely to say I’m just being salty for getting outplayed. I’ve not only submitted ingame reports for cheating, but also replay video footage to hacks@blizzard.com and got email confirmations that action has been taken against someone I reported for cheating. One time, I even got two of those new green “Thank you for your report” ingame messages at login meant to confirm that a player was actioned for cheating.

My point is, I think there are more smurfs out there than you may realize just as there are more cheaters in OW than what most players may believe. It’s pretty common to go through the “Looking for group” list and find group titles mentioning rank boosting, smurfs looking to further derank in comp, and pocket Mercy services for a smurf. I get that there are genuinely new bronze border players coming from console, but I do believe that many of the high performing bronze border accounts are smurfs that got tired of having to play good in top ranks so they bought alt-accounts in bulk just to stomp on lesser skilled players for thrills.