It's cruel to keep the MMR formula hidden

Anyone who doubts the MMR maths shall don their tinfoil hat. However, forcing people to blindly trust that the sun will rise tomorrow is tyrannical. Let me make up my own mind :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They’ve explained it before. Sometimes MMR doesn’t go up when you win a game, which might make people upset. Additionally, the more info they give on how the system works, the more likely it is that people will find a way to exploit it.

5 Likes

right, just like chess players exploit the rating system, and since NFL teams know how to get to the Superbowl, all people ever do is game the system and never actually play any football, kinda like that right?

Or in the Gus Maker 3v3 Basketball Tournament, since people know how to win the championship, the basketball game itself is compromised because everyone just angle shoots the rules.

2 Likes

The big difference is that none of those sports or games use a matchmaker. This game queues players together based on specific hidden variables. If players found some kind of consistency or likelihood that matchmaking would be made under specific circumstances, they’d be able to get their own variables to match correctly and potentially win trade.

4 Likes

I want you to tell a fictional tale of how someone could game the matchmaker if the formula was public.

Pretend PBSR doesn’t exist in this tale…go…

1 Like

Even slight cracks in the secret MMR side of how to game the system being found out has caused huge issues in the past. First it was the issue of how unpopular heroes at 3k+ could be use to game the performance SR side of the game to buffer SR losses. As we saw, if I rem right, some losing SR torbs up into Masters+ due to this issue.
Then we had the whole mercy rez at all times issue that let people jump in SR by trying to get the max number of rez they could get, even if tactically it made zero sense to let a person die to rez or even to rez at all.

No I’m afraid the hidden side of the game needs to stay hidden. Other wise player will just abuse the info.

people who can’t break out of the metal ranks aren’t down there because of any sort of lack of info about the system. They just are not playing well enough to rank up yet.

4 Likes

I think they’re more afraid that it’ll show ONE of MMR’s characteristic that it tends to make matches in the long run that keeps people playing the game.

1 Like

this is because PBSR existed, not because of hidden MMR formula.

same, this is PBSR’s fault, not hidden MMR formula

2 Likes

What exactly do you think the MMR uses to rank you if not performance? Popcorn?

4 Likes

it uses wins, rather than DPS and HPS

the examples given showed that PBSR was flawed. if hidden MMR formula is so grand, how was it able to be exploited by Mercy?

I think it uses stats more than Blizzard would like us to believe. The WINS also do play a factor, but I get WAY more SR when my K/D is higher vs. when it’s just average (just as an example).

1 Like

they say PBSR plays a very small role, I believe them over you, I do apologize.

2 Likes

Still shows how players will try to do anything to game the system vs just work at getting better at playing the game. If the MMR number or formula was viewable for every class and showed that some how say OBJ time for tanks was given a 15% weighted stat bonus then all of sudden tanks would all start to park on the payload. Even when tactical you need to push up now and take more space.

Look a lot of these issue are just straight up scapegoats. Yes, the system isn’t perfect but the main issues are still community related and the true match making problems are only at the top peak of GM (being there are not enough players to even form teams sometimes). So the issue are just not in play for the other 99% of players.
No one is in silver because the don’t know the MMR, no one is stuck in gold being they don’t understand how P-SR works or whatever.

1 Like

I said pretend PBSR doesn’t exist for the purpose of this discussion.

the purpose of my post was to display unorthodox practices in Comp.

Furthermore, you still have not shown how people could exploit an MMR formula that was made public. You’ve only shown how ppl can exploint PBSR.

It’s the same issue in a different wrapping paper.
When players have found cracks in the system they can exploit, they exploit them. Sure not everyone but enough that’s it’s an issue.
If players could see their MMR from game to game or how it’s made in the first place they could pretty much nerd reverse engineer what does or doesn’t move the number faster play style wise.

and as I said, none of this really maters in the end being it has nothing to do with why anyone can or can’t move up in SR or why a player moves down.

1 Like

I think the MMR is based on long term winning trends and how well you do against proven people that are similarly rated (i.e. it cross checks to see if you win expected losses or lose expected wins)

2 Likes

the only thing they would find out is what wins and what loses, I don’t know why you think this is a bad thing.

All that really maters is winning games and a player’s over all total win rate. The rest is just table issue that has little to no impact in the grand big picture of who does or doesn’t move up in SR or tiers.
I totally understand wanting to know, being people just like to know stuff but that’s different than needing to know.

How does knowing the hidden numbers and system really help a player with a 43% total win rate? How does it change a player’s game play if they are already up +1400 SR with a 62% win rate over all?
It just doesn’t mater outside of just simple curiosity.

1 Like

That’s why I said it was cruel and nothing more.

You’re still an advocate of keeping it secret and yet to have give a specific scenario of how it can be exploited. Diamond and above have no PBSR. If the MMR formula was released today, I want to you describe what some Diamond+ players might do to exploit it. If you can show me how it is exploitable for people who are Diamond and above, I will probably change my mind.

This. The sheer number of posts created by a handful of people who all pretend that it’s not because they want to exploit the system is absolutely staggering. If only they had spent the hundreds or thousands of hours declaring their “need” on playing the game instead, they’d likely be 3 tiers higher than wherever they started posting.

The only thing people need to climb is to improve their own game and stop looking for external factors to blame.