It takes almost 100 hours to unlock all new heroes

I still find it hilariously pathetic that they no longer give you all the heroes in this hero swapping game.

6 Likes

It’s just weird how Overwatch launched with over 20 heroes no one had any idea how to play since it was a new game, and yet even as they released heroes that were unlocked for everyone for years and people were fine.

4 Likes

Wait… you OFTEN play games that are around 40 minutes long? I’ve never had a comp game that lasted that long.

Nothing wrong with the model, but since you can pay to unlock those heroes, we can just call it what it is: pay to win.

It would actually made sense if you had to play hero you want to unlock, pick mode to play like no limits where all heroes are no matter what you unlocked.
Because i tell ya, one tricking dva or rein for sure dont help much in learning Ram

1 Like

This game is awful for brand new players

2 Likes

That sounds like the max a game can be outside of control, with a long queue. I’d certainly call the average 10m including the queue which is near instant.

It’s a stupid setup for new players. Not going to grow a playerbase when your competition is way more newbie friendly.

Somebody on that team needs to send out a memo to change that as the summer new releases are right around the corner.

Tons of grind and a new map not helping the hype train leave the station.

Especially when the last new map was forgettable

2 Likes

Don’t forget that for a genuinely new player, 35 wins do not average out to 70 games, because matchmaking is garbage and they’re going to be constantly going up against far more experienced players.

So yeah, game gives new players unwinnable matches and then punishes them for not winning. Not sure how they plan to make money when they beat their new players off with a stick, but that’s how their game is designed.

2 Likes

So all I’m getting from this is rework the challenges to be more new player friendly. Which no one said anything against.

I’m a F2P player, still unlocking heroes as I go

It doesn’t matter that I don’t have the newest heroes because I don’t even have the full normal roster yet, and even if I did I sure as heck wouldn’t be able to play them effectively

It’s feels weird to think that blizzard is worse then EA. Apex basically doesn’t gate new characters at all, you accumulate currency as you play the game, and can buy them the instant they are released. The currency doesn’t disappear it’s just there.

It feels like such a strange way for blizzard to spend their goodwill. I paid $60 for this game (like a moron) and it turned out that I was just buying a large battlepass. Having just come back to the game, it appears that I’ve been cheated.

It feels weird but blizzard be more like EA.

2 Likes

Unless they’re willing to spend 20 bucks.

4 Likes

This is somewhat true but what happens if the heroes you mainly wanted to play at the 100 hour point? Not all players has the lust to wait that long to play the heroes they want. With over 30 heroes in the game it starts to become an issue to lock heroes because it will just take way too much time for players to unlock them that it’s not fun anymore.

The reason to why heroes in OW2 are locked is mainly so that some people spend money on unlocking them instantly because Blizzard are greedy.

A good example, Fortnite, is also a F2P game and they don’t put guns or abilities behind grind or pay walls like the BP for players. They also has the friendliest F2P monetization with the BP being a one time purchase and it’s renewable for free every single season so that players can earn tons of fantastic cosmetics without purchasing anything from the shop if they don’t want to. Even the skins are way cheaper than OW2’s $15-19. In Fortnite store skins costs between $4-9.

2 Likes

To my knowledge, OW is one of (if not THE) only games of its kind where you don’t just buy the heroes with a currency you earn from playing the game.

Such a system is far kinder to players, because it means players gain access to heroes day 1 when they come out, if they’ve saved up coins. I still would have gripes with it, but this system literally forces you to buy the heroes if you want them the same time as everyone else.

It’s incredibly anti-consumer, and I’m getting kind of sick of people defending it by saying “it’s not that hard.”

If Overwatch HAD to monetize new heroes (they didn’t, but w/e), they should’ve thrown them behind a currency such as legacy credits so that there was more competitive integrity, meaning players could all unlock heroes on day 1. But they somehow “redefined” a sequel by making one of the worst hero unlock systems I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

It’s quite simple: Impatient children want instant gratification. They realize how long it will take to manually unlock the new hero, so they buy it rather than unlock it. Blizzard, along with most of the AAA industry, know this psychology very well and know they can financially benefit from it. The whole gacha industry is built around exploiting this phenomenon.

I’d love to see someone calculate how many hours it would take to unlock all League of Legends heroes.

:joy_cat:

In a way, it encourages one tricking too - spend money to get that 1 hero you actually want and give up on the rest.

At least, I did it that way, in some game called “Super Monday Night Combat”, which was my first introduction with such concept.

1 Like

Where “grinding” refers to “playing the game as you normally do without doing anything special”.

TIL I’m grinding every day

inb4 children invent something I didn’t say: no, I don’t agree with heroes having to be unlocked or paid for

1 Like

Is this actually true? How? How does the game decide what hero the progress of those 35 wins is gonna go to? You sure it doesn’t just count them for all heroes? (JQ, Soj, Kiri, Ram, LWeaver next season)

If it is actually like that (don’t understand how) then yes that is not good, but also this