Is Sombra Bad (For Overwatch)?

I think this arguement is pretty late considering Mei was a original hero

Mei is a very similar, but slightly different issue.

Her ability to get behind me and escape seem less extreme.
She also has to be closer to freeze me than Sombra needs to be to Hack.

smh, you wouldn’t play Junkrat into Pharah would you?

Anyways, I had this Lucio in my game who constantly chased me around, destroying my translocator, allways shooting at me, not letting me hack anyone and I have to say he did a pretty good job at shutting me down even though lot of people think Sombra counters Lucio because he is useless when hacked.

So if you want to be stubborn and play Reinhard into Sombra you have to realise what is your and her winconditions first. She will want to hack you. In order to do that she’ll have to go invisible, somewhere behind you, preferably when you are distracted. Your wincondition is that she translocates, leaving the fight and you won’t have to worry about getting hacked for some time.

What you want to do is position yourself in such a way she has no safe way of getting the hack of and stall the engagement, waiting for her untill she reveals herself. You’ll be able to react faster to her when you are expecting her to decloak somewhere behind you. Turn around, block her with shield for few second or swing your hammer at her. That should give your team enough time to shoot her and force her to use her translocator. Then you’ll have about 6 - 8 seconds before she’ll be able to get back into the fight and you can take the 5vs6.

The other option is take the fight quicker than she can find her value, but that’s difficult.

6 Likes

I realize that’s how the fight goes.

My point is that’s not a fun or engaging fight.
It’s the same kind of fight everyone had to deal with in TF2 because of spies.

It’s simply not that fun, and yet it forever impacts the usefulness of many heroes.

If the consensus is that playing Rein is now a legitimately dangerous choice, I think my frustration may be warranted. Don’t you?

I don’t know what to tell you. Fun is subjective. If you don’t find fighting Sombra fun then I’m sorry for you, but she is part of the game and does deserve to be viable as any other hero.

3 Likes

I think Sombra’s ultimate problem is EMP. It’s too good, so the rest of her kit has to be really bad to compensate. And the entire match dynamics of having a Sombra on your team are miserable, even when you win.

Because Sombra can’t contribute much to teamfights outside of EMP, fighting with one on your team feels like a constant 5v6. You feel like you are struggling and dying constantly. And then, she blows EMP and the enemy team just wilts away (but not because of anything you did). Then, the enemy team regroups, Sombra becomes useless again while EMP charges, and you struggle and suffer. Until the next EMP comes to give you free progress.

She needs a complete rebalancing. A lot of power needs to be sucked out of her kit so she can be a competent fighter. Overwatch does not have teams large enough to support a member who offers utility and nothing else, so having one is just a miserable experience - her teammates suffer since it’s basically 5v6 and the enemy team suffers because they get EMP’d which makes them lose teamfights without really offering solid counterplay to avoid it. The only person who has any fun is the Sombra.

1 Like

Different? Then doesnt that mean all you need is a fix? Your post makes the image of she needs to be removed

Sombra can disable your abilities, but you still have a chance to protect yourself. Compare the hack with CC like stun. This will disable all your abilities including movements and all that. Or compare it with 1 hit abilities…

In my opinion, hack is one of the friendliest CC ability in the game! :wink:

7 Likes

EMP means nothing without follow up and coordination, and having a Sombra on your team is miserable even when you win? Cut it out.

What the heck are you talking about? Sombra can contribute very well to a team in fights, but there are multiple playstyle choices for her. Some fight with their team and some Invis and disrupt, most do a combination given the team comp they’re facing. Given how Doomfists bugs are going away and Wrecking Ball/Dive is used more her hack is a great counter measure to enemy flankers and mobile heroes. If you’re struggling and dying constantly then that’s on your healers or you positioning.

Completely untrue, you act as though she doesn’t have a gun or something to shoot people with, or stealth, or a hack to shut people down. Nope, it’s just EMP and then what, she goes into hiding somewhere? Stop it.

So you go on and on about how she’s not a viable pick accept for her EMP but then say you want to take more power away from her and make her worse? Look I don’t know what rank you play at, probably Gold of something, but your suggestions from your experience playing with a Sombra on your team is borderline nonsensical.

3 Likes

As a Sombra main I went ahead and FTFY.

We have the right to play our hero the same as you do. There are 28 heroes in this game and you could make this (unconstructive) post about any of them.

2 Likes

you clearly lack any objectivity if you don’t think her bugs are real… tragic.

1 Like

It is. You should know how to play several if not most heroes and be willing to change around to win the match.

2 Likes

I do switch frequently. I often play 4+ heroes in a game.

I’m not trying to sound salty or be stubborn. I want to offer my genuine critism on how I believe she disrupts the flow of gameplay more than she should.
It seems like many heroes (especially tanks) are becoming increasingly weak due to heroes who can counter them extremely well.

Overwatch as a whole plays differently when you know the enemy could at any time switch to a Sombra and counter you.

It’s just a kind of paranoia that seems, distracting to the overall gameplay experience.

And yes, she is part of the game now and enough people love her that I don’t expect her to go anywhere.

But again, it not the game I purchased.
When I got Overwatch, Reaper was classified as stealthy gameplay. That’s the kind of flanking I expected to deal with.
Sombra is, way, way more stealthy. Her ability to get a person killed in a fight feels like an outlier. Especially in a fight where you’re outnumbered; an enemy Sombra (to me) spells doom.

I mean she is bad for Overwatch she should be much more powerful but not have in return an easy escape as always. When you shoot a sombra you know it will do nothing to her and she will transcolate easily away. I think that’s one of the more annoying parts of sombra than even her hack.

1 Like

Another reinhardt main complaint

I think sombra is great for the game. Having her allows for creating more crazy heroes that would use a lot of abilities. She is a balance to them. She opens new doors in the game as far as playstyle too. I’m very happy with her in the game.

1 Like

I think you should swap to Orisa if Sombra is bothering you as Reinhardt. Orisa can keep her shield and fortify up while hacked, so she is the better pick in that situation.

just don’t play tank in general.

if your team is not helping you to deal with the Sombra, then its not worth ruining your gaming experience with playing a tank for such people :wink:

Let them play tank and see how it feels to get 0 help :wink:

Silences have existed in mobas since the beginning, the problem is there is no way to remove them in overwatch.

Perhaps the next support should give people tenacity, the ability to slip from crowd controls.

That’d remove the effect of all stuns, the slows, and the knockbacks, the silences, ect. But not the damage. It’d be a new type of shield.

1 Like

I could actually laugh at this for hours. Fixed xD haha funny jokes aside Im fairly active in the bug report section as a Sombra main I have a post with 25 Sombra bugs I encountered since 1.26 7 of them are GAME Breaking: Even more Sombra Bugs in 1.26/1.27/1.28 [With Video's] - #2 by Inky-11160

She is by far the most buggy Hero in the game and she is pretty weak too.

That would not be fair when compared to Tracer because Recall heals you and removes things like anti-heal etc. TL removes only Widow poison and zenballs and is risky because TL can be found (and she is F-tier why would you nerf an f-tier hero?)

Well, to be exact she hard counters: Doomfist, Rein, Lucio, Zen
Because of hack completely makes them unable to do there Job

The rest only gets soft countered by hack because they still can to there job (even if its harder)

And she gets countered by everybody with a gun that shoots

And to add my own opinion:

Sombra is keeped weak by blizzard because she is so annoying to play against but basically getting kicked out of LFG-groups and instand being flamed when picking her ingame is no fun for us too. I’m Still in the buff Sombras kit/consistency and nerf EMP charge rate team because I hate her being played as EMP bot by the contenders she is a part of the Game I still believe a lot of people are not used to play against her because she is especially countered by good teamwork but she also need good teamwork to be effective.