Is soldier good, or has he been powercrept out of being a decent pick?

We are not moving the goalposts. The goalpost for power creep REVOLVES around the meta DPS and the power level they have.

The term itself comes from card games and how new sets would basically just take a mandatory card and reprint the same type of card with slightly more stats. Nobody would care if they had given some worthless card more stats, it ONLY mattered if they increased the power of the playable cards which in terms of the DPS role they CLEARLY did not.

1 Like

Soldier is a jack of all traits ( pun intended) master of none type of hero. For that reason he wont ever be meta. He is never truly bad and easy to pick up and play, but he doesnt accel at anything in particular in return.

1 Like

It literally does not. You’re actually trying to redefine the term power creep to uphold an argument, you realize that, right?

Power creep is plain and simple. Are things more powerful than they were? Objectively, yes, they all are. Even if one is now so much better that it completely invalidates all the rest, if all the rest still were buffed past how they were before, they are still better. There was still power creep.

5 Likes

And for the same reasons, he’ll never be “good”. Everything in the game works against him, including multi-barriers, burst healing, healing-creep, armor, and additional flyers.

He’s the Jack of All trades that is probably less effective than Zenyatta. If he’s really supposed to be the “Decent in all situations” kind of character, than he shouldn’t be hard countered by so many of the game’s core mechanics.

That is NOT what power creep is. I am assuming you just do not know what the word means and where it came from which I kindly explained to you. It is a term with a firm definition that is not what you think. This term has been around longer than most of this forum has been alive and means exactly what I said.

Yeah, ok. I’m done with this conversation. You have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about.

5 Likes

Im sorry that I am not letting you make up your definitions to words like we are 12. You can tell yourself it means whatever you want, but at the adult table the words mean what they mean, and 30 years of definitions do not change because you wish they did.

Power Creep is literally the increase of power over time, that things that were once seen as “Powerful” aren’t anymore

The DPS role is the literal definition of power creep.

Soldier right now, on live, is stronger than when he was the best DPS in the game during 3-Tank

Yet is seen as too weak

At the same time Soldier only had 20 damage;

Reinhardt had 2000hp barrier
Zarya was able to generate 50% energy per bubble, including damage that effected both, as WELL as higher beam damage
500 armour D.va with 4 seconds of DM uptime
Roadhog being able to 1-shot consistantly
Ana with her 100% heal bonus, 5 second duration Grenade
Mercy with her 60hps and Mass Rez
And Lucio with his 30 metre aura size

Literally every single Tank/ Support listed is WEAKER than they were then, yet Soldier is STRONGER than he was then. Faster action out of sprint, tighter spread, increase in ult generation from self healing, and lower cooldown on Helix.

THAT is power creep

9 Likes

Even in your laughably googled definition (like really, you googled power creep and took magic the gatherings definition). It specifically states how power creep is the effect of new cards coming out that are superior to that of older ones, making the older ones worse. By all accounts, New dps have invalidated Soldier. So even by your own completely misguided definition that has no baring on video games, you’re still wrong.

2 Likes

Stop with this myth. Barriers, damage mitigation and healing are actually weaker now than they were when Soldier 76 was last meta. Ana 100% nade, Rein 2k barrier, D.Va no DM CD and bigger resource, Mercy with 60hps are all gone. Exactly what part of tanks and supports is stronger now than it was before that is keeping him from being meta.

8 Likes

Soldier feels really strong when I’m in games with him. I feel like he can compete with Ashe on equal footing.

1 Like

If your definiton of being good means being meta then yes he struggles. But he certainly viable. There is a long list of dps heroes i think are worse than Soldier.

1 Like

hahahahaa

no.

They need to remove the bloom for him to do that.

2 Likes

I mean, you can say that, but when I play Ashe I have more trouble with Soldier on the other team than I do with Ashe, McCree, or Widow.

Good Soldier players are legitimately dangerous now. He’s not a pushover like he used to be.

Sounds like a you issue.

really? she’s got a superior range and more ways to get kills, and has far better burst damage.
and her ult is just… better.

I mean, it’s possible, but he used to feel really weak. But now he feels dramatically better and he feels viable when I play him, too.

No, he’s still really bad. The bloom is what hinders him. You have to shoot in bursts or else you’ll hit nothing.

4 Likes

power creep (uncountable) (collectible games, video games, role-playing games) The situation where updates to a game introduce more powerful units or abilities, leaving the older ones underpowered.

That definition which is pretty on point, CANNOT apply to buffing weaker heroes because they were already obsolete and only can apply in the scope of what is viable right now.

Also if we are going to selectively pick things about heroes to look at back then why not give a COMPLETE image instead of only picking things to help your case:

Back when Soldier had 20 damage per shot (in addition there being no Moira, Brigg, SIgma etc) these were ALL the changes to the heroes that wanted to claim were stronger:

Rein:
Steadfast did NOT exist (this is a pretty huge change tbh)
His hammer swing was 10% slower
He had 2000 HP on his barrier
His ult and charge were both incredibly buggy and usually not in his favor
His head was larger
Ult lasted .5 seconds longer

Zarya:
Adjustments to double dipping on barrier
Grav disables movement abilities (though inconsistent which ones)
Grav radius nerfed
Energy reduction buffed from 2 to 1.6 per second
max damage lowered from 190DPS to 170 (these 2 sort of cancel out)
Secondary fire buffed from 2m to 2.5 meter explosion and the ammo reduced to 20

DVA (she has too many changes for me to type out and do the math on so I am just going to copy paste them since Soldiers damage)

1.7.0.2 - 1/24/2017

• Health increased from 200 to 400.
  • Armor decreased from 400 to 200.

Fusion Cannons

• Bullet damage decreased from 3 to 2.
  • Number of bullets per shot increased from 8 to 11.

1.8.0 - 2/27/2017

Defense Matrix

• Enemy shots no longer need to travel a minimum distance before they can be blocked.

1.13.0.2A - 7/27/2017

Defense Matrix

• New sound effects and voice lines have been added, indicating when Defense Matrix has absorbed an enemy’s ultimate ability.

1.15.0.2 - 9/19/2017

Micro Missiles(new ability)

• D.Va fires a barrage of small rockets that detonate on impact, dealing damage in a limited radius around each explosion. These can be fired while D.Va is using any other ability or firing her Fusion Cannons.

Defense Matrix

• Defense Matrix resource meter will now deplete twice as quickly.
  • Energy regeneration per second has been increased to 12.5%(formerly 10%).

Boosters

• Fusion Cannons can now be fired while flying.

1.16.0.2A - 10/10/2017

Boosters

• An option to manually hold down D.Va’s boosters rather than toggling them has been added under Options > Controls > D.Va.

1.22.0.1 - 4/11/2018

Micro Missiles

• Explosion damage reduced from 6 to 4.

Boosters

• Impact damage reduced from 25 to 10.

1.32.1.1 - 1/24/2019

Defense Matrix

• Cooldown increased from 1 second to 2 seconds

1.37.0.1 - 6/18/2019

Defense Matrix

• Reduced length of Defense Matrix from 15 meters to 10 meters.

1.39.1.0 - 8/13/2019

Call Mech

• Pilot ultimate cost reduced by 12%.

1.41.0.0 - 10/15/2019

Defense Matrix

• Regeneration rate increased from 12.5% to 16% per second.
  • Delay before regeneration begins lowered from 1 second to 0.75 seconds.

1.43.0.0 - 12/10/2019

Defense Matrix

• Cooldown decreased from 2 seconds to 1.5 seconds.

1.44.0.0 - 1/16/2020

Boosters

• Cooldown decreased from 5 to 3 seconds.

1.46.0.0 - 3/12/2020

Boosters

• Cooldown increased from 3 to 4 seconds.

1.48.0.0 - 5/19/2020

• Restored functionality allowing D.Va to maintain her current aim pitch when de-meching.

Ana
Biotic damage from 80 to 70
Healing boost to 50%
Nano heals for 250 HP
Ammo increased to 14
Range on nano from 30 to 40
(I think I missed one but I cant find it, but either way ana net stronger)

Mercy
Her entire rework which made her incredibly strong and FAR stronger than she used to be especially at that point (good luck doing a mass res when you were not invulnerable)
Her HPS is 55 from 60 but she has valk instead which is nicer and that super jump glitch which I will count because they refuse to fix it

Roadhog I would list all his changes, but what happened to hog is barriers make him sad.

LUcio (same pasting as before because when they waffle on so many decisions I do not feel like doing the math)

1.10.0.2A - 4/11/2017

Sound Amplifier

• Damage increased by 25%.
  • Projectile speed increased from 40 to 50.
  • Alternate fire now considers vertical orientation when knocking targets back.

Crossfade

• Area of effect radius has been decreased from 30 meters to 10 meters.
  • Heal song
    • Healing-per-second has been increased by 30% (also applies to Lúcio’s Amp It Up ability).
    • Self-healing has been reduced by 25%.

Wall Ride

• Movement speed increased by 20% when wall riding.
  • Lúcio now receives a burst of speed when leaping off a wall.

Again though the definition of power creep is the exact thing I said in the first. Between steadfast, the swing speed, and fixing his abilities, Rein is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than he was in November of 2016 especially when the current HP on his barrier is more than enough to do what he needs to do.

Not on your life. He has a fully automatic weapon, the bloom is necessary