Is Sigma a Brawler?

Do you think Sigma is a Brawler?

I don’t see him as a Brawler cause he seems the type of tank that always need to keep distance because he’s relatively weak against melee attacks and beams.

I just think they should change him somehow for OW2.

1 Like

I think he can be.

He’s loaded with utility and protection abilities. He can Rock people out of ults, or Shield the ones that can’t be rocked, or Grasp the ones that can’t be Rocked or Shielded!

I think the danger with OW2 is that the devs decide they don’t want him to ‘do everything’ anymore, but forget to compensate somehow.

I actually think Sigma will be fine. I do wonder whether he’d be suited to some sort of copy ability with his Grasp. If they want to get rid of his Shield, he could suck, i.e. Widow Shots with shift, and then fire them (or at least that type of bullet) back with Right Click.

Deflect is very fun, and I think there’s room for Sigma to have a similar ability.

Reinhardt on the other hand? I think it’ll take more than two Fire Strikes.

1 Like

He got probably soft reworked. I think it’s too early to say if he is working or not in the 5v5 format without knowing the changes the devs made to him.

Hd was used in rush style comps with Orisa or Rein, rushing in with Lucio for speed boost.

He’s very much like Dva, has his fingers in a lot of different pies.

Sigma is in league with Brig and Bap…new heroes bestowed with way too much power and the devs are afraid to bring them to earth.

1 Like

I think he’s going to lose his barrier. Despite the fact there won’t be more than one tank, Orisa has already been confirmed to be losing hers, and Rein’s is down to 1200 hp. I’d be surprised if Sigma got to keep even a miniscule barrier.

comments like this are precisely why low elo games are incredibly hard.

“Sig can you swap”

“No I’m doing my job”

The OW meta has been dumbed down and theorycrafted a lot in the last 2-3 years, there are 3 main metas, Poke Dive and Brawl, with spam being a variation of Poke I would say.

Sigma clearly fits the Poke comp, not sure how anyone possibly could think Sigma is a brawler.

if there is 1 thing that Sigma can’t do, is “rush in with Lucio”. Sigma is basically the Hanzo of tanks, he relies on a prolonged fight to get full value. Rush relies on taking a quick fight and securing an early kill to win… basically the opposite of Sigma’s game plan.

If you consider Sigma viable in a Rush comp, then probably a hero like Genji or Ashe are viable too because Genji can 3x hit in the head and Ashe can headshot tanks. Basically if Sigma is a rush hero, then everyone is and you can play ANYONE in a rush comp.

I don’t know why I always thought he should get a short range version of his primary fire to become more brawly.

Isn’t this Dive strategy (do they both play for a quick fight and an early kill)?

I guess it’s because he has the rock-stun. Think about him more like a Cassidy participation in a Rush comp.

1 Like

no, dive relies on isolating targets and controlling the map and then focus firing. A common misconception is that “dive kills supports easily” which hasn’t been true since S4. Modern dive is about controlling the map and going for who makes a mistake or is out of position or with no CDs, which can be anyone, from a tank to a support to a DPS (often it’s a tank or DPS). If you play Winston dive, a big part of your win condition is the Nano Winston, in Ball dive, it’s basically a comp where you outskill the enemy mechanically, requires very good coordination, knowledge of angles… extremely hard to play basically which is why only Koreans can run Ball dive, everyone in the team needs to be very skilled at the hero they play, from the Tracer to the Sombra to the Dva player to the Zen. Maybe the only one who can be an average player is the Brig player.

In general, every OW comp relies on focus fire to win the game. In this game, to kill through healing, you HAVE TO focus fire. Only in low elo supports misplay so you can kill in 1v1s. But every comp you can possibly play, the team that focus fires better and uses CDs better, wins.

Dive over rush has more map control, and can pick engagements better due to a speed aspect.

Rush has easier to land damage and is a “more guaranteed kill”, in the sense that something like Rein hammer goes through any shield and also Zarya/Dva can ignore stuff like DM for the most part.

having a stun =/= being a rush hero.

Rush heroes for tank: Rein, Zarya, Dva
Rush DPS: Cassidy, Mei, Reaper, Doomfist, Symmetra, to a degree Hanzo, Junkrat, Tracer, VERY niche but can work: Genji (he is a shotgun hero of sorts).

Rush supports: Lucio + Bapt (both must pick at high level, in low SR you can substitute Bapt for Ana or Moira).

The common factor for all these heroes is the fact that all are decent at close range, and Cassidy isn’t decent at close range due to Flashbang but mostly due to right click being a ~250 DPS ability. At the same time he can secure kills from off-angles very well so he is versatile in Rush comps.

So how would you classify a team composition that has double barrier being Sigma + Rein?

orisa doesn’t fit brawler either, but I believe that devs are just changing the name, because the tank name creates an excessive expectation of being extremely defensive.

hybrid Brawl/Poke.

The problem is that Rein is a hero that (especially in high SR) needs the full Rein comp to be viable… which is why Rein Sigma isn’t great in high SR.

Then gain, even in high SR, it’s often 6 offmeta heroes vs 6 offmeta heroes due to the amount of 1 tricks, and at that point, you often see Rein + Sigma win because everyone just sort of does their thing, in an offmeta vs offmeta game, as long as you trade CDs efficiently, you can win on any hero, even Rein.

In general Sigma wants a 2nd tank to poke from distance or play an alternative angle, which is why his best tank complements are Ball, Orisa, Hog, to a degree Dva. He is very bad with Zarya, Rein and average with Winston.

Rein wants something defensive when he starts swinging hammer, so Zarya, Dva or a Ball that soaks up some damage for you from an off-angle. I guess Sigma can soak damage for Rein too but the problem is that there is a dys-synchrony, Rein wants to be as close as possible to the enemy, whereas Sigma wants to be in the 10-20m range and hates being in melee range… and yet to save the Rein with a quick Experimental Barrier re-deployment or with a Grasp, you need to be in melee range with him.

It’s also possible however that the enemy doesn’t run heavy damage comp with like Zen Soldier etc. at that point Sigma can just chill on a high ground and Rein solo tanks on payload and everyone is happy since they can’t melt the Rein due to lack of Zen/dmg boosted DPS.

In general, I reckon given equal rest of team on both sides, Rein + Zarya or Rein + Dva > Rein + Sigma.

Sigma literally played with Lucio in double shield Rush, including but not limited to with Rein.

I’m not sure why you’re tying rush/brawl to headshot…

Sigma has below 22m range AoE attack, very consistent, a self sustain CD, a shield to cover for their second tank. 22m is a lot for a tank but still less range than even the most range-limited hitscan, so he still needs to be somewhat close.

But never mind all that, the fact of the matter is that when you are OP, you can be played in any comp indeed, and poke has shared (and even outdone) rush’s strengths since its inception and even more so after the shield revamp nerfs.

No.

He is confirmed getting reworked for OW2.

I should have said could, rather than can. With some changes, in regards to the OW2 part. ATM, of course not. I should have been clearer!

With no mobility, no armor, and an unreliable precision attack that relies on explosions that aren’t as likely to hit at close range, I’d say no

Sigma works much more like Orisa, just that he has to play closer to the front than she does. Once you’re in brawling range, it’s very easy for things to go south since it’s easier to work around Sigma’s abilities and weapons.

where? In gold?

the point I was trying to make is that a Genji with perfect accuracy against tanks has double his theoretical DPS from right click (which is ~100) so can act as a shotgun hero of sorts.

But really Genji pales in comparison to Reaper or Mei in brawl. And Sigma in spite of very consistent dmg also does lower damage than Dva or Zarya and at point blank range Sigma’s damage is extremely hard to land.

Here’s Dallas fuel in Lijang:

Also double shield was rampant with Lucio and Moira, as a brawl comp, with Orisa and Sigma as well. Just because they ouclassed traditional rush in a poke phase doesn’t mean they couldn’t crush Rein comps in brawl as well. It was a completely busted comp, after all.

LA Gladiators famously played this to its extreme, pushing their Orisa straight into the enemy with speed and building coal as fast as possible.

Funny you mention that:

this is a video from 1 year ago?

LOL

I don’t remember what balance patch that was but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was still the 1 shot combo Sigma iteration or the one with no CD on the shield.

1 shot Sigma was incredibly busted, no wonder you’d run him in ANY comp. Rock is easy to land, and at that point aim at the feet for an entry kill.

here we start, people stuck on the class name. Same logic that made people tank should have a lot of health and shields that ruined the class and made it look “boring” because people didn’t understand