Is match-making rigged?

what would you call “you never play people in your SR range only people in your Vibe range” if not “rigged”? :joy:

12 Likes

bad matchmaking. a poor system. a bandaid for que times (that we no longer need).

6 Likes

No, it’s just bad. :joy: (And perhaps not made for 5 vs 5.)

2 Likes

no. it is intentional. they are intentionally ignoring your SR for matchmaking, using only your MMR (vibes). you can win as many games as you want in gold, the game still remembers your first season in silver and will only place you in silver games. what is the likelihood of winning an absolutely bonkers matchmaking game for a former diamond now gold tank playing in silver with some bronzes on their team? 50%. because it’s a literal cointoss if you win or lose. but since it wants 50%, then this chaos convinces it you are at the correct rank. even though the only reason you are now at 50% is the bonkers matchmaking has made none of your games make any sense.

19 Likes

Ah, I see we have achieved vibe nirvana. Very cultured indeed. :relieved:

1 Like

Is it rigged, no.
It It just really bad quality, yes.

Overwatch 2 developer blog: Matchmaker and competitive deep dive, part 1

2 Likes

Theyve always matched based on MMR.
Its just that SR used to be always be close to your MMR.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think it’s that complex, and I don’t think Blizzard is capable of executing something like that.

What I do believe is that they opted to use MMR to open up the player pool and counter que times as a bandaid until they figure out or fine tune a better system, which they’ll also mess up. I honestly don’t think it’s as deep as you’ve stated.

2 Likes

It’s called using mmr. Simple as that. Same thing ow did.

1 Like

You do play with ppl in your SR range if we’re speaking in OW1 terms. Blizzard has added another lends to obscure your true skill tho. Now your “Sr” is also tied in with MMR to create games very similar to OW1. If your sr dipped at the end of last szn (I did as I only played for about the first 3 weeks of OW2) You were still matched with players of similar skill to season one so they could decipher if you had gotten worse. I quickly got back into the swing of things and the game compensated quickly with me jumping 4 ranks after my first 7 tank games.

All these changes were completely unneeded but if blizzard things it will attract more players we can’t really do anything about it. Personally, I I like the new ranked mode compared to the old ranked mode.

right there, in the article you linked, they admit it is rigged to get 50% win rates.

11 Likes

I believe SR was also primarily used as a “cap” for the player pool available to match you with. They basically, as it seems, just removed that. MMR is also more of a long-term thing, which is what makes it flawed, because although your MMR might be solidified by long term data gains, you’re still probably going to get matched with people who’s MMR is not accurate due to less time spent gathering data… ITT: it’s pointless

2 Likes

i think they really relaxed the matchmaking queue for faster queue times. probably the biggest culprit or we would be complaining that queues take forever

50% winrate isn’t the problem.

50% winrate, where every game feels winnable and loseable is the perfect ideal.

But getting 50% winrate by “stomp or be stomped” is a problem.

13 Likes

Which personally, I don’t think we even need anymore. Maybe, I don’t know.

i dont care either i rather have faster queue times but i dont mind being stomped once in a while lol

2 Likes

Yeah, thats something i didnt mention in my post but tis true.
I dont think they “removed” it per se, because I still cant queue comp with some of my friends because they are too low in … MMR or something.

This makes sense. and I agree with Verdict in that this may not be something we need anymore.

2 Likes

you must not have read the developers blog. They say in it that SR has mothing to do with matchmaking. They use MMR only, and hide that number from us. they are pushing for shorter queue times and 50% win rates. SR is meaningless, and they admitted it. they also admitted you are not matched with players of similar skill, you can have a diamond and a silver in the same game. whether they “balance out the team dynamic” doesn’t matter, a diamond and a silver in the same game will create a very unfair situaiton, in all events.

4 Likes

agreed. I’d feel less awful about 50% winrates if it wasn’t stomp or be stomped. going on a 14 game losing streak, then an 8 game win streak, then a 6 game losing streak then a 12 game winning streak to get to 20-20 does not feel balanced, or competitive.

5 Likes

Id argue that stomps are an issue in plat (maybe diamond) and below mostly because the individual skillsets of players just dont mesh well with the given team, to be honest.

edit for an example:
one of our supports could be an ana/zen main, but would constantly be dived, and when switching to another hero they provide even less value jsut because theyre not competent on another hero.

Granted i havent played higher than diamond, and in plat/diamond ive only encountered a stomp 1 in every 15 to 20 games? Im guessing here with regards to frequency, but it doesnt happen often in my personal experience.

3 Likes