Is cloning a thing in the OW universe? If so, how could it be implemented?

Cloning today isn’t nearly in a perfected state, and continues to be controversial. But by the time of Overwatch, I imagine it could be a thing, yet perhaps still controversial.

If you’re wondering why I’m bringing this up, I was binge-watching Star Wars Clone Wars. What a great series.

Now, as for having it in Overwatch, I have a rough idea of how it could be implemented on a story level. Gameplay-wise, I don’t think it’d really be applicable outside of holographic decoys, but that’s entirely different.

During the Omnic Crisis, one of the Overwatch heroes was highly celebrated for their achievements in battle, but near the end of the war this hero gave their life to save countless innocents. However, because this hero had been such an asset, a project was put in place to “replace” them if they were ever to be lost. This project was intended to clone said hero, creating copies of them that could continue to protect the people, but this project soon went astray with the desire to turn said hero into a weapon for the greedy and corrupt.

The project proved unsuccessful, as only one functional clone was ever produced (all other clones suffered crippling genetic defects or died during growth). This clone would eventually awaken and, imbued with some of the memories of the original, took up their mantle again upon learning of the new Omnic Crisis.

It’s a tad generic, sure, but it’s a starting point. Feel free to discuss it, but please be civil.

1 Like

That’s very interesting. Because Mercy and Moira can regenerate/replace cells, it should be possible to replicate cells.

2 Likes

Indeed, but replicating someone’s personality, skills, memories, etc. into a new organism? That is tricky.

1 Like

PLEASE NOTE: This forum is not for Fan-Made fiction.

You can make the thread without the fan fiction. The only dead member of Overwatch from the Crisis is Liao. And Liao didn’t die during the crisis.

On the topic of cloning, I dont think even omnics can have their minds “cloned,” let alone humans. As far as we know, there is no backup copy of Mondatta, the various mass produced omnics still seem to have their own unique personalities, and even Echo is taught through machine learning rather than mass production. Maybe Overwatch 2 will shed more light on this with Null Sector, but if Omnic AI cloning is not possible, I don’t think human cloning will be possible either.

2 Likes

The bigger issue with cloning isn’t whether it’s possible or not, but whether it is ethical to do.

3 Likes

I was simply using that “fan fiction” as an example of story, but it seems that’s not allowed…

As Moira would put it, “Philistines…

Yes I’m sure no large power in the Overwatch universe would allow for cloning to take pla- Moira walks in

5 Likes

I think this rule is only there so that this forum doesn’t get flooded by fanfictions posts. Yours isn’t one and invites discussion on the lore so I don’t see any problem.

Indeed, but replicating someone’s personality, skills, memories, etc. into a new organism? That is tricky.

We see in the comics that both Symmetra and Sombra have the technology to teleport. If we consider these canon in the Overwatch lore, it means they are able to disintegrate a whole body and recreate it somewhere else without any ill effect. If a “cut/paste” of someone is possible, I think a copy/paste should be as well (though probably not advisable).

Also it poses others questions: Does it mean that Symmetra dies each time she takes a teleporter, and the one we know is in fact just a copy of a copy of a copy… of the original?

Oooor teleportation has a completely different functioning, similar cut/paste on a same drive partition. Meaning for exemple that Sombra doesn’t move nor is copied when she uses her translocator, but she instead rewrites her Space/Time coordinates to be assigned in another location. “Hack the planet.”

I need sleep.

3 Likes

I can’t speak for Symmetra’s hard light teleportation. But I can speak for Sombra’s. She adapted her translocator from Tracer’s Chronal Accelerator. So hers is more along the same lines as Tracer’s blinks.

As for Symmetra, and this is pure speculation, but I dont think its teleportation in that sense. Considering its shape, I think it is meant to be more akin to a wormhole or portal. Much like the portals from the game “Portal.” Again, just speculation.

While Symmetra’s is more debatable, I don’t think Sombra’s falls under the same theoretical debate. Her existence and nonexistence is theoretically the same as Tracer’s existence and nonexistence, which is handwaved as Chronal Disassociation.

6 Likes