Internet went out. Got punished for something I had no control over

I was nice twenty of this guys threads ago, now i lost my niceness…also when i got sent to the shadow realm for a millenium and came back as a ghost

1 Like

I used to play Ultima Online…whenever my internet went out my character was logged in for several minutes and often I got back and I have been killed and all of my belongings had been looted…it sucked…

Today I was at work and I wanted to go home and it started snowing quite a bit and there was a big traffic jam on the freeway…it sucked…

sometimes things suck

2 Likes

There is literally NO way for even your ISP (believe me I work for one) to tell whether your modem losing connection is because you unplugged it or the actual commercial power went out JUST from the information available to the connection. As far as your connection is concerned the exact same thing happens when you power the modem down or the commercial power is cut. There is also no difference to the connection between a cable being cut and you unplugging or disconnecting the ethernet or RJ connection in the case of DSL.

3 Likes

I’m not tech wiz (my solution to my internet going out is hitting the reset button over and over until it works again) but is that even possible? Does ANY game do that?

“Just do coding stuff, geez it’s not hard!11!”

7 Likes

interesting…next the op will suggest that there is because reasons

if you don’t like them don’t post on their threads! there’s no reason for you to derail the topic!

I can’t speak for every ISP or game client, but I know for a fact companies like Xfinity provide information relating to specific outages and depending on how big of an outage it is, they will send nationwide reminders of them. As a user of them, this has happened on many occasions.

For game clients, Blizzard has come out a number of times and admitted that some outages with the server were their fault yet they never did anything for compensation because “they don’t have any way for refunding SR”

my friend, in the nicest way i can possibly say this…there is no discussion even here, he comes on and yells about his losses, and then leaves

3 Likes

You can play all you want and if you lose your connection regularly you should probably reconsider comp as you will find yourself with a season ban before long plus you are ruining other peoples games. The penalty sucks but it’s fair.

2 Likes

…That is an outage, aka something they know because it involves there own network, they cant tell if some idiot ripped a cord out of a machine

2 Likes

Yes, as someone who actually organizes and monitors that kind of thing I can tell you that while they have information as to large amounts of people going down at the same time or actual network elements going down (fancy word for the big boxes that split up the internet for individual users) we still cannot see anything beyond a “dying gasp” alarm for things being powered down or a “loss of signal” which means the device is no longer responding to any information. Asking that blizzard request outage information from ALL the possible ISP’s in the area and cross referencing that with your actual account info is not only incredibly implausible but would require an integration of systems that would require investments from all the ISP’s in the area. Something they WOULD NOT DO for a video game company.

2 Likes

Damn, why is everyone’s Internet going out all of a sudden? Just earlier this week I had my UPS power backup go out, and it forced me to rely on my Wi-Fi for a couple days while a replacement UPS power backup came in…

wait…how does a power supply…relate to internet…was it powering your modem?

Wasn’t fair for your teammates either, but they still probably lost SR for your dc.

It powered my Ethernet…when that went out, I had to rely on my laptop’s Wi-Fi to order a replacement UPS…everything is back and functioning now, though…

i see, well thats good (i wont lie i still dont completely understand it, but screw it)

I understand your pain. I stay out of competitive because it stresses me out a huge amount… but you really can’t complain when life happens… cause it happens to everyone.

Never said it was fair to them.

If your internet goes out every day, you may want to look into a different provider.

and also maybe stop queuing for comp if you know your connection is unstable.

1 Like