Intentional server closing exploit being used to prevent people from saving modes. Really annoying

I don’t want to spend a ton of time typing this out, just venting because this is really annoying. Here’s how people are preventing others from saving workshop modes:

you can afk spectate if you wish, as long as your internet doesn’t cut out this will run your gamemode 24/7 until for some reason or another you disconnect.

-Put something in your workshop that’ll guarantee the game crashes at the end, I think attaching a camera to a dummy bot will do it.
-Start gamemode
-go into workshop once the game starts
-delete all rules

When the gamemode crashes, it for some reason restarts what workshop mode you had loaded before you started that session/game however you call it. when you go to save the gamemode, you’ll see everything except the workshop rules are there. I recorded a video if that makes it easier to understand

https://streamable.com/fts503

I would really like to have a guide.

@OP if you really like and enjoy a certain mode and the author doesn’t want you to copy it, you can always recreate it. Only fair if you invest the same amount of work into it as the original author. (And it will be less amount of work, as you are stealing the idea and only recreate it.)

1 Like

This doesn’t even mean they wanted to re-host the mode. I always check workshop scripts for stuff like host cheats and button combination cheats before I join servers.

I don’t get this mentality. Why would I want to make someone else spend time solving problems I’ve already solved? And if someone wants to copy my mode, I’d rather they do that than subject players to a likely inferior remake.

The point you missed is the initial intention to not share the mode yet.
But if OP is so desperate to get the code, he can still recreate it, since workshop is available for everyone. Its not like its a paid DLC or something. Or that one needs magical skills to do so.

I understand your intention, I just don’t understand why.

If it’s something trivial, yea you can easily recreate it, but e.g. my mode has a complex menu system (ht tps://i.imgur.c om/dPweXS5.png) that had to be carefully written to avoid bugs and reduce server lag. I want other devs to be able to look at what I did rather than waste time solving problems I already solved and possibly end up with a buggier/less performant/less functional result, even though my mode hasn’t been fully released.

I don’t understand why you’d want to force someone to recreate something you did unless you’re simply a sadist.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to force anyone. OP is free to wait for the public release of the mode, look for a similar mode that already exists or simply do nothing. Recreating the mode or something similar is just one of the options he has.

So? Noone says you have to.

I guess if I ever come across someone in the custom browser doing this, I’ll remake their mode and publicly release it (with credit to them). Closed source on something you don’t make money off of will always be insane.

You do know that Null intended this technique to be used to playtest ones mode with other players while it is not finished yet, so noone will spread an unfinished version of ones code. One will release the code later.
I hope you understand now. If not, I can’t help you.

oh. didn’t see this response. Yeah, guess i bugged out, lol sorry about that. thats cringe. Adderall’s a hell of a drug

Yeah, i’m over it. sucks i can’t play the mode (btw blizzard can claim ownership over any workshop content lol). really sucks to see creators who can make cool stuff decide to kill their gamemode by not letting players play.

I’ve made my own modes, I claim ownership by posting the code on forums/reddit/workshop.codes so there’s an associated timestamp. Everyone else who’s made any sort of success/fame off workshop has done so by just releasing the gamemode. Lol blizzard SPECIFICALLY made the gamemode open source to prevent stupid squabbles like this.

I’ve yet to hear of someone claiming credit over a workshop mode, but hey man, if you want to follow in the footsteps of the two other people I know of who did this, feel free to join genji dodgeball and “basketball” in making believe this is somehow helping you succeed. Guess which one of those two decided to eventually let people play their game?

EFNQ0 this is the basketball mode btw, it’s actually kind of neat. Too bad the dude released this code to his discord server (you needed to read a QR code in the gamemode to get onto the discord) and seemed to disappear.

You can actually just put the link between < / a > and it’ll let you post the link, it just wont be a hyperlink, it’ll be plain text. Also yeah. thats pretty funny, i need to stop taking so much adderall, “gotta email blizzard again about this” LOL WHAT EVEN AM I TALKING ABOUT

That’s gold.

Was my guide not clear enough?

Oh suh altimor. Lol I just like to save cool gamemodes so i can play them when people aren’t hosting.