I'm level 1100 and still ranked bronze

Yeah no. Your rank doesent really matter if your having fun, but you dont belong on a higher rank if you are not there. And then it wouldnt be a higher rank. It would be your rank.

5 Likes

What’s your goal, Eyevou? If you enjoy the game and want to improve I know a few free coaching servers. They can do VoD reviews or shared-screen replay reviews. There are many friendly and free community resources available.

If you don’t enjoy the game, there’s not much anyone can do to help. I suggest identifying why you’re not happy and deciding what you want to do from that point.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with being in bronze?

5 Likes

I feel like Comp is like drugs to some people

Once you try it your entire focus and life revolves around it and if you dint climb its the end of the world or like in drugs a withdrawal effect so you need your daily fix (SR) to get you going.

Im so happy that i never ever tried Comp, been playing since 2016.

You guys need rehab to get out of comp (SR) addiction.

4 Likes

My advice - look at your mistakes critically. Everytime you die, ask yourself “What could I have done differently in that situation?” Rather than “Omg, that hero is so stupid and broken”, that leads nowhere, and doesn’t help you get better.

If you’re in bronze, and truly belong there at this current time, then you are probably lacking in your understanding of how the game is supposed to work, or your mechanics aren’t very good. I’d recommend looking at guides on positioning, movement, and gamesense, as they’re probably the 3 most important things - mechanics develop as you learn these 3 things, as you are now more aware of when you can do things such as take engagements, or capitalise on opportunities that you may have previously not even seen.

Another thing - try new things. As in, take more risks, or try strategies that you might not have thought of before - this helps to develop your playstyle, and will help you to be more effective on the heroes that you play, as taking risks, and perfecting those strategies that require more risk, usually leads to a greater reward. A good example of this would be flanking, or taking side/off angles as tracer, opposed to staying with your team. This requires more risk, as you don’t have access to your healers and tanks for assistance, however, focusing a support in the backline takes away healing focus from the enemy, and forces the support to focus you, making it easier for your team to kill the enemy. You’ll die a lot perfecting these strategies, but the more you do it, you’ll figure out where you can escape from, and the best times to pull things like this off.

I’m level 1227, so I’m just into gold border, and I’m currently in mid diamond on my dps, with my lowest rated role being tank, which I just got back into diamond. I know that my weakness is often my gamesense, but my movement, mechanics and positioning make up for this. I never focused on improving my mechanics directly - they just got better the more I played, and the more I started thinking smartly, about how I move, and how the enemy moves, making them easier to track and predict.

Just stick at it. Hope this helps maybe a little bit lol

2 Likes

"Guess I’ll just post this whenever I see a “matchmaker doesn’t do anything iffy” post:

Recently it was slipped that there are legacy values. Then take this Blizzard Activision patent into account:

“[0016] In another example, if a player has been performing poorly (e.g., getting killed at a rate higher than the player’s historical rate), the scoring engine may dynamically adjust one or more coefficients to match the player in a game that will improve the player’s performance. For example, the player may be matched with easier opponents, matched with better teammates, and/or placed in a game that is more tailored to the player’s preferences (e.g., players that play in games more closely aligned with their preferences tend to perform better).”

From: `https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160005270A1/en

No words are really minced there. We need this quote to be unequivocally rejected that nothing of this sort occurs in Overwatch.

Or that the abstract for this patent describes matchmaker specifically placing people with unique skins in games with people without them, to encourage purchase of those skins."

You must be right. Let’s ignore an in-game mechanics that’s effectively behind the scenes.

Rest assured, you don’t have to ‘prove your point’. I’m ditching this game for another this month, after the new hyper-pc shows up. Your points would be wasted on someone that A) Doesn’t tow the line of ‘git gud yull climb’ and B) Staunchly thinks that one can play well and not climb to the next rank.

I have no idea what ur trying to say.

Odd. I found it simple and basic to understand. Oh well.

Let me elaborate:
Your example of one guy doing some tinfoil theory with small enough sample size to not even matter even if he had a point and you tie it you with something that has never been linked to overwatch. I am aware of that patent and its highly likely that I have known about it way before you have. So let re pharse my self:

I have no idea what you are trying to say unless you have some actual sufficient evidence. Or well I have a good guess, but it would be rude to say it aloud.

The evidence is a patent from a company that has full use over that Mechanic. Add in the other mechanics to the matchmaking system that are kept from players, and you’ve a great little recipe for a system that just isn’t up to par with all the other FPS games taken seriously besides this one.

In addition to the above, I’ve a rather disturbing number of hours (weeks) dumped into this hot garbage fire of a game it turned into. Some accounts, do not climb to the next rank, even though that account has improved over the hundreds of hours. Enough to advance to the next rank.

And you’ll disagree. With all I’ve said, and all I would say, on the topic. As with each and every thread on this forum, only a very few are open to discussion, and the vast sweeping majority are only interested in fighting.

So why bother continuing communicating with one another? Unless you’ve some reason I’ve overlooked.

No its not. How do you fail to understand that?

I’ll quote myself.

Ofcourse I disagree. What else can I do? Should I get a tinfoil hat now because you have one or what? Bring E V I D E N C E. Do you understand that:

1. Blizzard/Activision has a lot of games.
  2. Even if that they can use it on any game, just having the patent is not evidence that they use it on any game, yet alone on Overwatch.

Bringing your evidence, would require the OW Dev team admitting that the patent shown above is being used in game. All we have is what’s out there, and not what is in the Dev HQ.

You think it’s not used? Cool. Good for you.

I think it is used? Cool. Good for me.

Who cares either way? I’m the hell off this game in a week or so for a better FPS with a system that doesn’t use SR/MMR.

You’re effectively yelling into an empty room, making generalizations and judgements on someones gameplay you’ve spent not 1 minute with.

So once again, “why bother continuing communicating with one another? Unless you’ve some reason I’ve overlooked.”

Bring me one of these accounts and I will prove you wrong. Oh you wont? Ahh, a huge surprise. I have seen plenty claim this, last one was like a week ago and he even challenged anyone to prove him wrong. Me and one other guy volunteered and guess what, he instantly backed off, even tho he said “anyone” can take the challenge like 20 mins ago. I wonder why… Are you up for the challenge?

3 Likes

I can imagine being very frustrated with everything, especially if you’ve devoted so many hours to the game, only to remain stuck.

I would say my advice would be: pick one hero per category to focus on learning to the max. Just get used to playing that one hero really well, and becoming knowledgeable enough with that one hero to carry your games. You want to be able to reach a point where you’re winning more SR with your wins than losing with your losses (remember that no matter what, your winrate will almost always be close to 50%, so you want to maximize your SR gain with each win and minimize your SR loss with each loss), and you really can best accomplish this in bronze by maximizing your abilities with one (maybe two) heroes.

Artemmy? There is nothing under the sun I can say to you to sway your mind an inch to what I’m talking about. Nothing. Let’s pretend I provide you some account that gives you what you’re looking for. You honestly think you’d go ‘Well. There you are. You’re right. Fair enough.’?

Why prove a thing to some anonymous person over the internet that they petulantly demand? What will that do? How gives a rats behind what you think? I’ve sunk 1700 hours into this account alone. I know who I’m routinely paired with. The types of players. They’re sure not like myself. And I’m sick to death of being mired with those types. Time to pull the ripcord and find enjoyment in an FPS game elsewhere. That’s it. That’s all.

So once again, “why bother continuing communicating with one another? Unless you’ve some reason I’ve overlooked.”

Don’t worry, I’ll cry with you.

It’s not possible to climb anymore– especially as a tank or support main, and especially if people aren’t willing to work together and switch to counter what’s rolling you to begin with.

3 Likes

No. There is nothing you can say because your claims are not evidence. But like said, it wasnt a huge surprise that you wouldnt accept the challenge. Also you seem like you are sure you posses one of those accounts and you seem to leave the game anyways, so why not donate the account for science? So after you leave the game you can at least learn that you were wrong? Or your just not interested or what? You wanna stay in your comfy bubble?

2 Likes

Already done, Sir. Already done. There comes a time in some hobbies where you’re just not going to advance, even though you know for a fact you’ve improved.

How? Any number of things to improve ones play. Reviewing each win and loss at length, aim practice for days on end, watching any number of high end players to learn ins and outs that others just done use. Simply playing, and marveling at the plethora of players that refuse to simply retreat. Etc, etc, etc.

Eventually, you have to say 'Enough nonsense. This other game just plays better, and has a better internal system the Devs give every iota of ‘how it works. Time to move.’