If we have time advantage, why don't people save ults

Everyone always wastes ults. Why not save them and just spam at the same time? Isn’t it just better to spend the time charging everyone up and baiting out the enemy ults, then just use them all together?

1 Like

The hard part of that strat is baiting the enemy ults without using any of your own. But I agree, if you’re in a situation where you just need to win one fight to win the game and you have enough time to build ults, get a Sombra to emp and then throw everything else you have at them usually works.

3 Likes

The fact you know to do that and are at the same rank as people who don’t means you excel at game sense. Your teammates at the same rank as you probably have better mechanics and/or positioning than you if they lack this in game sense.

It isn’t until higher ranks where people have a minimum competency in all of game sense, positioning, and mechanics.

4 Likes

ngl, my mechanics aren’t great. I can’t flick for the life of me. Pretty good at tracking tho

Perhaps but I’ve also have wondered this and I don’t think my mechanics are or can be that bad considering the characters I use.

I think another possibility is that people may be aware of the possibility but fail to communicate/coordinate. Same thing happens sometime playing at lower levels and its especially noticeable when playing Zarya. You’d be surprised how many people actually know that ult combos are possible when you first begin calling out plans to combo to your teammates.

A similar effect happens in real life in large groups of people when witnessing emergency situations. People have literally died from things paramedics could have saved them from despite multiple witnesses because they all assumed “someone else” probably had or would call 911.

Do not save your ultimate unless it’s 2CP…

Not always true.

If your team has 99-0 control on a KOTH map, big time advantage on a payload, etc it’s better to do a dry run, draw out enemy ults, then push with yours. Otherwise you might end up using ults, not winning the fight, and wasting time until you get them online again.

1 Like

I always suggest saving ults on last round of payload or 2cp if their time is short for the distance they need to push. If you only need 1 stop to ensure a win, seems smarter to hold the ults and ensure you get that stop than blowing them early on a potentially losing fight. Am scrub tho.

Exactly. The issue I have is that I call it every game, every time, in both text and voice, and yet nobody listens.

I don’t know what to do in those situations. It’s very obvious what we need to do to win, and literally nobody listens. It’s not even a case of being bad, it’s just not listening. Is that throwing? That smells like throwing.

It’s just poor game sense by your teammates. If it makes you feel any better it even happens in masters.

I’ll be playing Zarya and call “I’m going to grav, JUST use Hanzo ult into it, SAVE EVERYTHING ELSE” then Pharah/Genji/Tracer/Reaper/etc will ALSO ult into it, Rein will shatter, and just for good measure one of our supports will ult.

4 Likes

I don’t know, see. If someone brings up the idea, then it should just be a ‘duh’ moment. All of the thinking is done for them, they just have to listen. I think it’s mostly people just auto-piloting really.

I think a lot of people auto-pilot, don’t trust their team like in my example of the second DPS ult (or are POTG hungry), etc. But people who deserve to climb will climb despite these setbacks. I’ve lost games with 50 elims and 1 death. Sucks but if you always play like that you’ll climb.

2 Likes