If this game had 40 million players

It’s not so much lying as it is ‘PR speak’. Since every company does it, it’s seen more along the lines of ‘acceptable deceitfulness’.

They equate copies sold to players. :confused:

1 Like

I suspect you will face the same people over and over that are near you and have a close sr to yours. I pretty much face against the same diamond to gm people constantly when i play as a 5 or 6 stack.

2 Likes

Queue times are upwards of 1 minute for a 12 person game in gold QP for me.

Or you play at off hours, regions exist, and your skill level limits it further. (The top and bottom are underpopulated as any bell curve is)

Plus we all know at least 10 of those 40 million are alt accounts and not everyone logs in at once. Crazy I know.

The matchmaker likes Qing you with the same people if all of those people started Qing at the same time.

1 Like

40 millions accounts. Split between 3 different platforms, multiple different regions, then based on mmr and ping… yea, makes sense to see the same people sometimes, especially at the top or bottom of the ladder.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure they also include accounts made during free-weekend.

1 Like

Actually I really dont care how they made up that number. They use it for marketing, so I use it here.

ok but you’re in bronze and 8% of the player base that does comp is in bronze its the 3rd smallest rank behind master. plus I’m pretty sure that QP and arcade are more popular than comp

1 Like

That’s funny, because I read the very same complaints about seeing the very same people over and over again by people that play other ranks than bronze and top 500.

1 Like

no its backed by statistical data Competitive Mode Tier Distribution

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that!

I’m in gold and bronze, and see many of the same people.
lol

1 Like

I’m at 2500 pretty close to gold but rarely will I see the same players, maybe 1 or 2 but still infact plat has less people than gold but I dont have this problem

Thinking about it now, it might be because I play at like midnight…

Not to mention my 5-7 min wait times to find a match

1 Like

It’s 40 million accounts made, not players currently playing.

Companies like to talk about accounts made to make it seem like there’s more people playing than there actually is.

This is why I like Steam. Steam publicly shows actual current player count giving you a good idea if the game you’re buying into is likely dead or will be dead soon, especially considering you can’t rely on a player base to accurately tell you because they’re so heavily biased.

My shot in the dark guess is Overwatch has around 200,000 concurrent players. But that’s just a shot in the dark guess. Could be more, could be a lot less

It doesn’t.

It has 40 million accounts, not unique players. Many users on these forums have ~5-10 accounts. Most of them are to circumvent bans/suspensions too.

Considering that my friends list is about 10% filled during peak hours on a weekend, it’s pretty safe to say we don’t have 40 million anymore. Most of my friends list hasn’t been active in months. The only ones that are either play daily (3 count) or are measurable because they have the messaging app.

or bc you all left a game at the same time and searching at the same time it auto qued you as being ready and in range.

it’s why after every game i stop playing for 3 minutes then reque or play a quick arcade/qp match to help me get back into the right headspace (aka let the salt wash away lol)