If I’m Diamond, why is my tank gold?

There is a two rank discrepancy in Competitive that makes it so you can get paired with either two ranks below or two ranks higher.

Think their reasoning is for queue times to be shortened, but what they didn’t realize is that it makes it unbalanced as heck.

Oh, they knew. They just do not care. As long as it does not disrupt skin sales it is not a huge problem. Queue times WOULD. It is obvious where their priorities lie.

I don’t think that’s really the reason, people whined and complained about queue times constantly in OW1, so they made this shoddy solution.

Why did they not do it in Overwatch 1? Because skins were not on sale. Occam’s razor, fam.

Blizzard’s matchmaking is based off of MMR, a number that only they see. The pretty icons they give you for your ranks right now are just that, pretty icons.

2 Likes

My game the other day, 3600 support on their team playing dps.

We had an unranked / gold dps and got rolled. The excuse was that that’s his support SR and not dps.

He was playing Ana and Bap, you can’t get to that level without way above average accuracy and game sense that will transfer into playing dps.

It was a complete shut out. A push map that I just gave up playing after 3 minutes and let them cap. And this was in comp.

Why do changes in OW1 when you have OW2 coming really, it’d just be another thing to transfer, plus, it’d be weird to mess with people in OW1 on how the matchmaker works versus just doing the change in OW2 which is where people expect major changes.

I would agree if Overwatch 2 was not just a patch…

Ideally, I feel the hit Overwatch took during the dark ages fettered the potential of the “sequel” and queue times were a huge contributory factor. But I am not a business expert. Blizzard is. You can really tell.

Welcome to EOMM

Blizzard just cares about your money, not your enjoyment.

It’s the real reason the hid borders and ranks - A lazy way to “fix” queue times since they removed a role. At best, it seems to try and give each team the same amount of crappy players…but some can do better with good teammates, while others are utterly useless and you’re going to lose almost everytime.

You might as well just flip a coin because it doesn’t matter how well you play if you’re a Support main. Sometimes you just can’t play well because your teammates are so braindead that they are impossible to keep alive.

I think they only pay attention to net SR. If you’ve got some 1 SR trash but a 3,999 SR player it’ll say you have a 2000 sr team. There’s probably a limit on how far SR can go from the average on the team so that example won’t happen (probably). If there was a limit on how far they can be from the average I bet they increased it and that’s why queue times are much lower.

I love the difference in answers lmao

1 Like

Did you make sure to check the season 0 maybe because i know alot of people climbed in the first season of ow2

this narrative is completely false. you hate playing tank. it isn’t the same thing. tank is immensely popular right now.

2 Likes

Matches are made based on hidden MMR not on the displayed rank. Matches are also an average of each team’s SR which can lead to a great variation in individual SR among teammates.

They already said why. Check the topic Blizzard posted.

Basically your rank doesn’t mean anything. It’s all about the magical MMR number that we can’t see. They KNOW for a fact they are matching Silver/Gold tanks against Plat/Diamond (and even Masters) tanks and somehow some bright mind thought this would be all right.

It is beyond my understanding how can a team be so clueless about their own game. I wouldn’t even bother playing comp right now. Heck, I wouldn’t even bother login in.

The answer is because the approximate MMR of your ENTIRE TEAM matched the approximate MMR of the ENTIRE OTHER TEAM. The matchmaker is prioritizing queue times and overall team ‘balance.’

In the blog post several people have already directed you to, Blizz acknowledges that this method has problems, and says they are going to attempt to alter the system so that it prioritizes role balance.

It’s not an ideal solution, which would obviously be all members of both teams INDIVIDUALLY have about the same MMR. But it’s probably the best we can hope for while maintaining some kind of reasonability in queue times at the farthest high and low ends of the MMR curve.

Mine was based on the actual information we have, literally a post from Blizzard. The other was based on their own personal feelings. I’d personally follow the info, which matches what people have been saying about weird rank differences in matches over the paranoia angle.

1 Like

Because youre being punished. Literally. Its how it balances things out. The matchmaker kills your momentum to ensure you lose in order to keep you on the hamster wheel. Its literally whats happening.

Because his MMR is masters, and he asks why he plays with diamond as well.

Your rank doesn’t matter. Only your MMR does. If he’s gold and getting placed in your team, it’s most likely his MMR is doing pretty well with a win streak.

This is dumb, but they aren’t gonna change it. it kinda encourages people to throw matches for easier games. Why don’t they just put your SR to the MMR if your SR doesn’t matter? Well, that’s because they’re forcing you to play those higher MMR matches to rank up. It’s not intuitive for players at all. If they’re at that level, they’re at that level.