If heroes are ready why are you shelving them for 4 months or more?

How dare you not call BOB unique

1 Like

She’s not a genetically modified hamster in a mech. That’s true.

Saying something like:

I’m not sure what to say other than I still completely disagree.

As for your point about her being released so quickly after watching a CGI short, I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. You know those shorts take a long time to produce, right? I saw Matt Mercer (voice of McCree) on Emongg’s stream recently, and he was saying how hard it was to keep a lid on all the cool stuff he knew from the short for a year, so I think it’s safe to say she’s been in the works for a long while.

I just find that a lot of the time, people make posts like this asking for a flood of new content at all times, and that’s fair. People can ask for whatever they want. But people often seem to completely disregard, misrepresent, or simply fail to understand the resources required to make something like an entirely new hero.

Yes those CGI shorts take a long time. But the development team apparently fell in love with her after they saw the short. And wanted her to become reality. It’s highly unlikely they wanted her when she was just a sketch on a storyboard by the art team.

It was my understanding that they fell in love with her during the development of the short, not after it was complete. I’m not sure how it could work any other way.

Didn’t they say they’re being developed, not ready? Either way it’s going to be painful waiting 2 years to get all of them.

i’d imagine they short was near finished for them to actually fall in love with such a character. Which would still mean it was during development. I mean, i would be inspire to make a character such as Ashe after that short too. But not really during the early stages.

They space them out for their investment quarters. It’s all about the investors, always has been.

Yes, we get that. It’s about money. Drip feeding content is the carrot on the stick of games as a service. Always has been. But it doesn’t mean it’s always has to be the case. It’s why i mentioned Street Fighter V releasing 2 characters at once. It was for a special occasion, and special occasions should be the exception to the rule. Jeff Kaplan kind of misled us at Blizzcon by talking about each member of the Deadlock gang and Echo, i felt like he was gonna announce more than 1 hero, being as it was Blizzcon and all. Saving a hero reveal for a big event is kind of pointless since it’s done regardless every 4 months. But two heroes would of been a big deal.

Seeing all the design iterations of Ashe leads me to believe they fell in love pretty early on. They wouldn’t be making all these different looks and styles for her after the majority of the short had been made. Just doesn’t make sense.

Those designs was the art teams conceptualization for the animated short from what i can tell.

So I guess we’re both just speculating and neither of us can say when Ashe went from a villain in a short to a full-fledged hero. I think it makes much more sense that this was a decision that happened 6-12 months ago, but maybe it was as quick as you say.

You realize B.O.B probably required a HUGE refactor, right?

Probably to make sure they have stuff ready for the following months if something gets delayed. After all, the winter skin names got leaked during the summer.

I agree that it takes too long to release stuff. if we are not getting any story modes and the heroes are going to be the main type of content, then at least have them coming more often. The heroes are what makes the game right now.

“Ready” could mean a lot of things. The character can work in game. But a lot of stuff is left to do. Maybe they need to higher an actor, for example. You’d also not want to release characters like that. You mean well. But you do not want to blow you load in a few months. If they did release the 6 characters within 2019. We could be waiting a whole year on a single new character, after that point. Don’t get greedy.

I remember WB’s doing this when Pokemon became a monster. They aired new episodes so often. Sometimes even 2 or 3 times a week. The crew just ran out of episodes to dub. So there was a MASSIVE 6-8 month wait for new episodes. Than CN pulled the same thing. When they got the rights, for the first time. That was the beginning of the franchise losing people.

There’s more content outside heroes they could drip feed. Balance patches, Stages, Events etc. Some heroes are needed sooner rather than later for META shifts. By all means not every hero needs to release right away when “finished” but they really should of done it at least for Blizzcon.

My take is Hero 30 will be teased during WW. Maybe get on PTR too.

That’s assuming the characters they’re working on will cause a meta shift. Or a character that people want. People want more tanks like Reinhardt. But they have to make a new character act similar to him. But not rip him off. There be no point of Rein or the new character. Or they don’t want some sort of double main tank shield meta. In conjunction with snipers/Bastion to happen.

They could have set release dates, to influences the balance patches of the current heroes. If they don’t have a rule set. A balance patch for X will make them OP. Because a new hero came out and caused some sort of abuse problem. I’m on everyone’s side. They need to make more heroes for the other roles. But there’s no point. If they just rip off Reinhardt. Or make a character that no one wants to play. Because they made a character who tanks so much. They are that boring to play, more so than Reinhardt.

This is why junk takes so long to make. And has like 2000 planning steps.

I really think that “Magnet” hero they discussed will be the “Rein” hero that plays similar but very different. A Tank that can push forward through a choke.

He can absorb projectiles and shoot them back out. Like the Titans vortex from Titanfall.

As Jeff said, Job security.

Actually what they meant by this could be that its the same case as Brigitte

Source: