Idea for OW2. About 5v5

Keep 6v6, but make it 1.2.2.1
1 tank, 2 dps, 2 supports, 1 flex. The flex can change to any hero in any role.

Sounds fire tbh, would open up alot of different ways to comp for teams.

Sounds terrible. Tanks will get a lot of buffs (like Rein and Winston), so the team with 2 tanks will win forever. We need a fair match, 5vs5 or 6vs6 but fair

Maybe sounds fun on paper, but I bet it would probably be a balancing nightmare and completely mess up matchmaking (No more role-based SR which is kinda necessary for role queue :man_shrugging: )

3 Likes

damn im sure they didn’t hear or test this when creating 222

definitely wouldn’t effectively be effectively triple DPS or anything

No. It wont. They always going to play TANK so itll be 2/2/2 nonstop but maybe thats the reason behind such an idea to begin w/. Tanks are by far the strongest characters in the game and they going to be even stronger in OW2 so yall be gimp w/o 2 Tanks

1 Like

I thought of that already when I first commented. Sort of how, quick play classic works nowadays, going into 2-2-2 standard on a mode made to not be role queue. But I do feel an extra DPS or support can OP in certain situations and that’s overwatch for ya.

2-2-2 (2 tanks with 2 DPS) [Balanced team]
vs
1-3-2 (Rein with 3 DPS) [Super damage, protecting rein] [DIVE]
vs
1-2-3 (Rein with 2 DPS, 3 supports) [Super heals & DPS] [LONG RANGE]

That’s just how I see it. I like 1-2-2 ALOT already though so just keep normal OW2 5v5 is ok with me. It’s mostly the tanks are unbalanced on purpose especially in OW2, where tanks will be buffed alot. This idea could work with old Overwatch tanks imo. Off tanks can be seen as a throw, I’d take a super good damage player as my 3rd instead of a potentially throwing off tank, etc.

The main problem is, it just takes too much communication, which is already lacking on the ladder. role queue solved this. 1-2-2 is fine.

Its not hard to understand, they might be surprised for a few seconds in their first match ever.

1 Like

Nah thanks.

5v5 is cleaner, no third DPS, less damage flying around, less CC.

1 Like

How would you score the flex player?

You cant just give him Tank, Support AND Damage SR all at once, that’d make everyone just queue flex.

Actually literally anyone would just queue flex because its all roles with no restrictions.

6 vs 6 will work with an Open Queue…
OR 2-2-2 with:

• Priority passes
  • Clan system (friend groups flex roles more)
  • Tournament mode like in LoL
  • Remove SR restrictions from 6-stacks and allow 6-stacking in GM too
  • Make a team queue with it’s own seperate SR system
  • Shuffle ranks more with soft MMR resets and SR Decay to reduce smurfing/alt account usage

We both know the flex player will take DPS number 3 most of the time and abuse the shorter queue times. If a team takes 2 tanks then they are likely to face mirror comps, or 3dps and be outgunned.

Nah. They can’t buff Tanks substantial if 2 Tanks is still an option.

Also 3DPS is too many DPS, because then it’s either sniper spam or flanker spam.

And 3 healers could be problematic at high ELO.