I want to play overwatch but

With each passing day, i feel less and less inclined to press that play button.
I have this growing feeling of doubt any time i’m about to press it.
I sat down and thought about it for a while.
Overwatch is a great game, it really is. But only when you get to play what you want to play. We’re spending so much time playing things we don’t want to play.
We try to make that which we enjoy playing work, but if you get countered that’s just it. Swap or lose. Play something you dont want to play, or lose.
It’s frustrating. Sometimes you just don’t know what you’re going to play when you press that play button.

Just wildly throwing examples here, but i don’t want to play Mercy or Moira.
I don’t want to play Brigitte or Reinhardt. I don’t want to play Doomfist.
You can make them as powerful as you want, i still won’t enjoy the game playing them. I don’t want to play tanks unless i really, really have to. And i always have to. The only supports im willing to play are Ana and Zen. If i’m getting countered, i just can’t be bothered. I’d rather lose than play one of the other healers.
I’d genuinely rather play Tetris than play Mercy or Moira. Even if they were overpowered beyond reason. Should they ever become meta, that would become a massive problem for me.

Just think about it;
Overwatch’s biggest selling point is the variety of characters and playstyles. There’s something for anyone. But if you can’t play what you want to play, then why play at all? Mercy is a character that appeals to a lot of people. But a big part of the community also has this burning hatred towards the idea of playing her. Myself included. What do i do when she becomes meta again? Do i just drop the game? Do i suck it up until i get burnt out and never look back? I don’t know.

This game is a moba, first person shooter, tower defense, world of warcraft fighting game.
There’s something for anyone. But nothing for everyone.
You’re trying to make everyone happy.
But in doing so, you’ll end up making nobody happy.

6 Likes

Eh to me it’s the fact QP is garbage. So many people playing “what they want” it’s usually a total shut out victory or loss. OW is not balanced to allow different levels of skill and team comps fight eachother and the match maker fails horribly as I’m a bronze player often put up with Plat or higher in QP.

Comp is garbage at my rank, LFG is dead 20+ hours a day and the wait time for a match is 5-10 minutes. Thus I find myself mostly in arcade these days.

Most of the problems carry over though and the best team comps you can expect are in Mystery Hero’s… Sad I am more likely to get a tank and a healer in a random shuffle than letting people pick. It’s also the fastest mode, with almost instant que times around the clock.

But one of the initial selling points WAS counters and swapping when countered… Like I feel this is less a problem with the game and more not wanting to play it how it’s played.

Though I do get the sentiment, and I say in counter, that they should be speeding up the development cycle by A LOT and get more characters in the game for people to actually enjoy rather than having to pick from a relatively tiny pool.

It was also about shooting things.
Not swapping from playing an fps to playing a first person world of warcraft.
Fps and moba elements coexisted at the start. But the game has been gravitating towards the moba aspects more and more.

1 Like

I think something like this could work.

More of a streamlined way to join a leaderless LFG group as a role, that then automatically starts queuing for comp.

There’s a point we get bored/tired of all games. You might have reached that point now.

Well because most if not all elements of a “gun” have been covered. They’re trying to explore new ground they haven’t touched as much. Let me ask you this, for your ideal character release, what’s their primary that doesn’t overlap with any of the other primaries already in the game?

SMG? Done. Pistol? Done. Assault Rifle? Done. Machine Gun? Done. Grenade Launcher? Done. Rocket Launcher? Done. Sniper? Done. Semi-Rifle? Done. Shotgun? Done. Thrown projectile? Done. Spawned projectile? Done. Laser? Done. Melee? Done. Bow? Done.

So what are they supposed to do without stepping on what they have? Obviously they’re gonna try to flesh out the lesser represented part of the game, aka the more “moba” elements as FPS was already plenty present.