I think people got upset about Soldier's announcement because it seems forced

So you’re really upset then that they randomly revealed that Torbjorn has aardvarks without any build-up, right?

Came to the wrong place for a discussion about sexuality that didn’t make you seem like a bad person if you weren’t 100% onboard with it. Your question will be answered with another question.

Remember: If you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, that means you hate them. Clearly. You aren’t allowed the option. Right?

Oh yes…I went there…because here? Here, everywhere I look this is the truth.

blizza–oh wait…er… I mean, Pander Express will always cater. Just enjoy the game for whats left of it and move on. I still play the game - as aggravatingly unbalanced as it is now - while not minding or caring anymore because they’ll just do what they want. Soldier’s rifle still shoots the same, it’ll be aight.

lol we call the game Safespace now too, it the best!

1 Like

Being LGBT isn’t a lifestyle though anymore than having blonde hair is a lifestyle.

2 Likes

No, stop putting words in peoples mouths. I have 0 problems with anybody being gay, lescian, trans, etc, but standing in the middle of the room shouting that you are is always going to bring attention, and a lot of that will not be positive.

At least with Tracer, it was subtle. I had the same reaction from finding out Reaper had a family as with 76 being gay.

It felt rushed and unsubstantiated. Whereas with Tracer’s comic:

• It was not the highlight of the comic.
  • It was at a time where lore wasn’t scarce.
  • It was as subtle as it gets

Was it even necessary in the first place? No.

Even then, their relationships were never thrust into the limelight, aside from Widow who’s lore involves her killing her Husband, who worked for OW.

Ana, cant confirm if she’s still straight, since she broke up with Sam, but also can’t confirm if she’s developed feelings again since she’s a vigilante.

Torb, it’s just a safe bet that he’s still with his wife, since they’ve had so many kids, but still, there is no strong ties between him and his wife, other than the same comic that Tracer was revealed as gay in.

I want to hug this post. Thank you for writing it.

2 Likes

The fact that you responded with that as opposed to calling out my obviously-bogus statement is a case-in-point to what I just said.

…Yeaaahh I’m good.

Mmk.

Being gay is not a “”"""""""""""“lifestyle”"""""""""""""""""

You don’t have to “hate” a group to be prejudice against them, just see misguided statements from people claiming to be Christian and 'not hating gay people but hating their “”""“choice”"""" '. But yeah if you have an issue with gay people existing you’re probably not terribly fond of them, either.

2 Likes

A lifestyle is a way in which a person or group lives. If you are gay, that is your lifestyle. If you are straight, then that too is your lifestyle. You do with your life whatever it is that you wish to do.

Its how you function. Its how you exist. Aside from the actual definition of what it means to exist - which you clearly do - then what would you call it?

Being a contrarian won’t help anyone trying to see themselves talk.

This is what makes people a part of the problem. Study it. Perform in an opposite manner. You can disagree with someone while enjoying their company…assuming they aren’t mass-murderers or…yeah…

Don’t be the problem.

Lifestyle is the interests, opinions, behaviours, and behavioural orientations of an individual, group, or culture.

These can be wildly varied among LGBT people because they’re a group categorized for the way they were born, not a decision they have made.

You mean what would I call people that are LGBT? People, probably.

I’m not going to enjoy the company of some degenerate who judges and “disagrees” with someone for the way they were born, same as I wouldn’t for someone who disagreed with seeing women in games, or people of color in games. I’m not going to be complacent about people discriminating based off something so superficial.

I’m not. I judge people based on what they say and do, not because of the way they were born.

life·style

/ˈlīfˌstīl/

noun

1. the way in which a person or group lives.

Isn’t the internet grand? It varies wildly because people like to speak and have a sense of belonging. At the end of the day, you are who you are, and thats about it, whether or not they’ve ‘made’ that decision.

Lets take this statement here: Obviously people are still people, but did you not present your own interpretation of what a lifestyle was? Would it not be just as relevant here? Of course. But everyone likes to be contrary, in order to make a point to be seen. Now don’t they…?

I suggest that you try to get out a little more. Here: I’ll make it a bit easier:

Person A: “…You’re gay…? I disagree with that.”

Person B: “So…?”

Person A: “Meh, fairpoint. Where y’wanna go eat at?”

See that? Now, the analogy you present is the one where person A openly flames person B about it or treats them differently for coming out to them.

In your world, both personnel would avoid eachother because one doesn’t agree with the other. A ruined friendship based upon the honesty of one.

While the points that you’ve addressed are on the more extreme, it is important that education is key. I have a friend who hated BF V because they had women soldiers, but he still played, and we’re still friends. Upon further study, he was proven incorrect(obviously), but it changed nothing. Moral: Learn you a book.

And the way in which LGBT live, again, varies wildly from person to person. I know the common sentiment on the forum seems to be that all gay people have the exact same personalities and vocations but it isn’t true.

No, I squally just posted a dictionary definition of the word.

Absolutely not. I don’t reward that behavior, I don’t condone it. It would be the end of the conversation and my relationship with that person, just as it would be if they said the same thing for race or gender. This isn’t about a disagreement with what someone thinks the afterlife is or whether they like olives on pizza.

It’d actually be a friendship ruined because one person chose to be, and I’m using the technical term here, a festering pile of garbage.

1 Like

That’s exactly what makes it feel forced.

Give it to an old guy who we have seen nothing but “Hardened non-dead war veteran/ex-general.”

If they showed any aspect obviously before this it would feel better. All we got was him holding a very vague picture in an older comic.

0 hints about Soldier’s past or anything just one day the lore dev’s go “Ohey he’s gay now.”

I don’t care that he’s gay, but the way it was presented was forced.

Edit: I feel it would’ve been more non-forced if the lore was presented during Soldier’s early OW days. Where he tells people and it’s done more naturally.

It wasn’t forced. It was a subtle suggestion in a moment where they were reflecting on their pasts. It couldn’t be any more subtle without just not doing it.

Which is what the people who are upset seem to want. “It seems forced” when it’s incredibly subtle. They’re just upset that he’s LGBT. Nothing more beyond that.

6 Likes

It’s like saying that all straight people are clearly psycho murderers because some psycho murderers have been straight. It literally makes no sense whatsoever.

Also I thought everyone had enough sense to realize that stereotypes are bad, but I guess some kids haven’t figured that out just yet.

1 Like

Is that an actual thing? Because even then, I’d be a little peeved, yes. I am upset at bad storytelling, but you don’t seem to understand that. It would be the same as suddenly saying “Mercy is actually the leader of Talon” and then that’s not her lore. There has been no hint towards it, no lead up, nothing. Bad storytelling is bad. If they had a better lead up to Soldier’s sexuality reveal, I’d be 100% down for it, because it would be something. But me disliking bad storytelling and bad lore development makes me homophobic because that’s the only “logical” conclusion, right?

All I hear is “I was tricked into liking a character that didn’t read as stereotypically gay and I’m mad about it!” lol ~ like, it’s only ‘forced’ if you think that there would have been some subtler way to say that Jack was gay; which would be what, exactly? Oh yeah, kinda nothing, because the news would shock everyone due to our societal preconceived notions about what a gay man looks and acts like.

1 Like

Hair colour is genetic; hair colour is also a lifestyle otherwise hair dye wouldn’t exist. There’s no “LGBT gene” and no gene for hedonism either but you can choose to live that way.

But they do, do they not? You’re actively agreeing while still trying to maintain a debate. Its odd.

But the ordeal I was leading you toward is basically the fact that as opposed to attempting to educate someone for the better - to think in a different manner for but a moment - you simply judge. People enjoy judging before making the attempt at rehabilitating disreputable, unfair behavior. Then again I think my age may be showing.

I’ll close with: Just because you disagree, doesn’t mean that you have to hate and/or insult someone.

Don’t cut out part of my sentence to make it seem like I’m saying something I’m not. It might work on you but it’s insulting to the intelligence of everyone who clicks that little arrow to see what I actually said. In fact, I’ll even save them the trouble.

It’s not my job nor anyone else’s to educate ignorant people about their bs, antiquated ideas. It’s not worth my time to try and make them into better people, it’s not worth my effort. If they want education, we live in the information age. If they actually gave to craps to find it, they easily could. They instead chose to be human garbage. They can die shunned by society and alone for all I care.