I still dont see the problem with a ladder reset

so what if i spend a week playing against top 500 players, i don’t care about that if it proves the point that ladder reset wont matter; but i feel that blizzard is afraid of the fact that it’ll show their matchmaker is fundamentally broken and i think we will see those who are constantly ranked in top 500 or ever gm drop down a rank.

maybe i am wrong, but we won’t know until something like this is done. blizzard either needs to do this, or deal with people complaining the same thing over and over and over again. if they do it and everyone is still at their normal rank at the of the season, we will have proof that the system is right and it works, but until then, the forums will see something like this pop up every season.

i am in gold btw, i don’t believe that i am top 500 nor even gm material, i do believe that there is a elo hell seeing as i have gone down about 900 sr over a single season (season 9 btw). i do believe that i may be a plat player. go ahead say all the elitist bs like “git gud nub” and all the other crap, i am ready for it and i don’t care what you have to say if it’s not going to be constructive you can do it on a different thread.

But it wouldn’t matter that’s the thing.

They don’t need to prove anything. It’s already self proven. Do you really think Kabaji, seagull, Wraxu, sure4 etc would stop being GM and you would climb up, may be not GM but say diamond with a ladder reset? Why can’t you climb now?
I don’t see how it’s gonna help but blizzard should just do already so it will shut a lot of people up.

4 Likes

Ladder reset is very bad idea but honestly i would like it, it would be fun to stomp players below my rank while i would be climbing back to my elo. You get it why is it bad idea now?

1 Like

Here’s a fresh person about to prove to you already that ladder reset doesn’t matter and matchmaker isn’t broken. Your inability to climb is yours alone and not a fault of anything other than your skill (or lack thereof).

1 Like

And another one

Oh and this guy made thread about vod reviews, nobody interested because people who are stuck dont want to do some work to actualy climb.

2 Likes

Get a fresh start for $15 with the black friday sale no need for a ladder reset.

1 Like

The ladder reset is the last thing the ladder needs. Each season sucks for the first 2 weeks while it sorts itself out after initial placements. You are a fool if you think the ladder would be awful for just a week.

It would take the whole season for it to sort itself out and then we would just repeat it again with a ladder that is never settled.

Don’t get me wrong SR is pretty meaningless only accurate to about ±500 but a ladder reset would just makes things 10 times worse

1 Like

tbh i have improved my skills from when i started from where i am now, but i do agree with elo hell. ive seen my rank bounce back and forth and at the end of the day this game is based on having a good team. as seagull said you get games where your team is fantastic and you stomp, or you get games where you get stomped cuz your team is trash. like ranked is still a coin flip no matter how good you are i don’t believe that you can climb up ranks unless you are about 2-3 ranks above where you are right now. ranked can fluctuate between 500 sr and that in of itself i feel isn’t a good thing.

(copypasted from another topic I posted this in)

Imagine the very first game in a hard-reset season, and the teams end up looking like the following:

(All listed ranks would be from the previous season)
3400-2250-4670-1310-3300-3750
vs
<500-1560-3800-1800-2200-2860

This can happen because Comp never actually took ANY other game modes’ MMRs into account, even though a lot of people keep saying that they do.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SecretiveHeadstrongWaspOSfrog - JAKE taking a fresh account, where he was playing against GMs and Masters in QP as he hit Lvl 25 on that account
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20760837867#post-3 - Jeff saying that Comp MMR is separate

Also, you could get to Lvl 25 and become Comp-eligible without ever having played QP, so Arcade-only or even Practice vs AI-only.

Now, with that all being said, since everyone is hard-reset, literally the entire playerbase starts at the same point. As a result, sorting the ranks out would take a VERY long time.

Think Seasons 1 and 2 (3-month seasons at the time). Obviously, everyone started at the same place in Season 1 because Season 1. It took the great majority of Season 1 to get some kind of sorting out since matchmaker was also really loose at the time, not to mention even looser grouping rules (Under the SR1-100 format, a 50SR difference between the lowest and highest SRs on the team was allowed, translating to basically a GM-low Silver allowed grouping).

And then came Season 2, where the ranking system was changed from SR1-100 to SR1-5000. What happened in this season was that it was not quite a full-reset, but the ranks were very compressed.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GiftedShortLEDHeyGuys (Mercer said only a little bit, but the ranks actually ended up more than “a little bit” compressed than he expressed, also there’s Seagull in that clip)

Took nearly the entirety of Season 2 to sort out the ranks again as a result, and so many games were so bad for everyone. And THAT is why they don’t want to full-reset, ever. At this point, since it’s now 2 years, maybe sure, once every two years is ok, but who knows how the entire playerbase will feel about it.

2 Likes

you also get bronze players, you basically make every game have 4 throwers and 4 smurfs on average

pretty much anything the forums complain about right now would be amplified by at least 300%

and it’s not just a week or so, there are people who don’t play for 2 months and then you suddenly get that one top500 or sub 1000 SR player in your otherwise balanced game

2 Likes

They should try it. I bet a lot of people are only high rank because they climbed when you could pick a skill based dps and carry. But now with all the dumbed down characters, and skill based characters nerfed and countered I wonder if they would still be able to climb. Prob end up with 95% of the playerbase in gold/plat.

This is bordline disrespectful. You don’t get to be GM/Top 500 with good mechanics. It takes plenty of understanding of how a team fight works, game sense, general game knowledge, how to properly counter etc… A GM isn’t a GM just becaude they can climb, a GM is a GM because they have such an in depth understanding of the game along with being able to apply it in their gameplay.

1 Like