I really hope there is no role queue in Overwatch 2

And I know that open queue is a thing, but all that does it dramatically split the playerbase, which this game does not need.

Role queue is a such a limiting way of playing Overwatch, and imo it’s not really suited for this game. It’s a game ABOUT switching heroes. It’s a game about counters. Some can argue that at times it’s rock-paper-scissors. And you just can’t do that.

With 32 playable heroes, it’s unlikely that any player will be able to master all of them. Even when talking about tanks, where there are only 8 characters, it’s a stretch to say that 2 players will be able to play all of them well (especially when the game prioritizes some more than others).

Open queue allowed players to swap depending on the situation. I can play Roadhog pretty decently, and if we needed him, it was super easy to swap. You could swap to a character for a second, just to force the other side’s hero to switch and then swap back to preserve 2-2-2.

I just played a game where we NEEDED a Winston, and both tank players didn’t really feel comfortable playing him (which is fine, again, a lot of heroes). But that was the perfect time for a swap. A dps player or healer to swap to winston just to force the other side to switch.

And yeah, you had situations with five DPS and one healer (which imo was really overblown), but I think that says more about Blizzard having more DPS characters than tanks or healers. There’s more variety with DPS, so sure people would want to play them.

I hope Blizzard doesn’t keep role queue in Overwatch 2. It stifles comp creativity and forces losses if you’re not paired up with the perfect people for the present situation.

18 Likes

Or you could just play open queue and let those of us who enjoy role queue play it. Have you even got any evidence that it “dramatically splits” the playerbase? Or even if it does, do you have evidence to prove that that is an issue?

25 Likes

Role Queue is intended to continue for Overwatch 2.

54 Likes

role queue was fine…locking the game to 222 was pretty silly…both from wait time perspective and from variety perspective…

especially considering they already had thrown LFG out there if thats the sort of thing you really wanted

maybe 122 helps (if they go that route)

2 Likes

I think any split in the competitive playerbase in bad. There’s a reason that DPS waits are 10 minutes long. Overwatch needs a solidified playerbase

They won’t drop roleQ for 2.

It changes the nature of problems in Overwatch, but it doesn’t CREATE a problem, the unbalanced amount of DPS / Tank / Support players still exist with or without roleQ, and that always causes problems.

I’m just going to mock you for this one, because we have ALL seen the “creativity” of oldQ.

Yeah, and that makes for a good game, except, what? The support player then gets reported for switching off support? That is what happened in oldQ, and the switching was almost always in the other direction.

Playing tank is frustrating, and most of the time, the people playing them didn’t want to be playing them in the first place, so, they would switch to DPS 1 and 1/2 pushes in.

The arguments that it would be this wonderful game where people would do the right thing falls on it’s face super hard, because… we have played oldQ.

It is hard to convince someone who knows how bad something was that it would actually be good. OldQ sucked, and most people don’t play openQ, because they don’t enjoy that much either.

OW2 will have a 3 way split. OpenQ, RoleQ, and PVE, and given that, I expect that OpenQ may die from lack of players.

Since openQ soaks more DPS players moving them back into a single roleQ would make the problem worse and removing roleQ would just make more of the current tank / support players leave.

Since games where you are play a hero which relies on your off tank, suck when you don’t have one.

14 Likes

T[quote=“RobotWizard-116887, post:6, topic:604058”]
Playing tank is frustrating, and most of the time, the people playing them didn’t want to be playing them in the first place, so, they would switch to DPS 1 and 1/2 pushes in.
[/quote]

I feel like the issue is this more than role queue. If playing tanks wasn’t frustrating, then role queue wouldn’t be needed.

1 Like

Right, so I suppose you’re against all the competitive modes in the arcade too then. Because that would have a similar effect, no?
Heck even if the existence of quickplay and the arcade “dramatically splits” the playerbase, but that doesn’t mean it’s an issue.

And besides, having both role queue and open queue isn’t what’s causing the 10 minute wait times. The 10 minute wait times are due to the high number of DPS players. In fact theoretically these same DPS players would be so fed up by the high queue times that they’d move to open queue, so there would be fewer DPS players queuing up and hence shorter queue times.

You would have to fix Tank and Support, since you are burning tickets for both now, and yes, IF you could fix that, then totally you could go to a more openQ style system.

But I don’t believe Blizzard could do so, and it would involve changes which the DPS players wouldn’t accept.

I think we are stuck here.

Yeah, but it sucks, because it feels like Tank has the potential to be really great (and healer is a lot of fun in general imo). And then it would allow the more creative comps. I for one loved triple-tank

1 Like

I also enjoyed slambulance, which was a triple tank variant.

But if you are going to balance Tanks / Supports so they have the same level of impact as DPS, when they are so highly interdependent, you end up with them being stronger if you keep stacking them together.

So you end up with either them being bad by themselves, or triple tank / support being the go to comp for super organized play.

Which means you have a choice, DPS in owl, or underpowered tanks / supports or roleQ.

If you make them less dependent on each other, then you end up with all supports becoming pocket supports, like Mercy.

Like, it isn’t that they don’t want to, it is that Blizzard’s job there is super hard.

5 Likes

2-2-2 was a God send.

14 Likes

Reckon we’ll find out for sure in 2035

5 Likes

Cries

3 Likes

Yes, and it is by far the more popular mode. Going back to Open Queue as the only way to queue up for games is more likely to simply drive away a large portion of the playerbase at this point.

2 Likes

I know of no valid data to support this claim

Of course there’s no concrete evidence, but one would think that Blizzard would be more willing to make open queue the standard mode if it was significantly more popular

1 Like

The statement I replied to stated that 222 “is by far the more popular mode

This was and is an opinion stated as if it were fact

“Facts” of this sort should be supported by data

Sure, and I didn’t deny that. I was just adding my own opinion to the conversation that while it is not 100% confirmed, it seems more likely given the circumstances.

I don’t see any basis to believe the one is more popular than the other

I’d be guessing if I were to proclaim one as more popular than the other, in the absence of data supporting one or the other as more popular