I petition For a name Change : Hammond

Wouldn’t Orisa’s name actually be OR-15A; almost like military vehicles have a designation like F-14A or F-51C?

Because we call plenty of heroes by their stage/hero names. D.Va’s name is not D.Va either, like Soldier 76, Mercy, Symmetra and many more are not their real names.

Using stage and hero names is what Overwatch has done since the beginning, why stop now? Especially since Hammond became champion of the scrapyard without anyone knowing he’s a hamster. It is pretty much a cover.

I agree to the name change, Hammond is a better name.

https://www.change.org/p/13328069/preview?source_location=header

why are so many people butthurt about the name. He has the name cus that was what he was called in junkertown. Noone really knows him only Winston would know him by his true name

Border line against the guide lines

Yeah i reported it just waitting for it to be taken down now.

2 Likes

I’ll never call him ‘Wrecking Ball’. Rather, I’ll call him ‘Hammond’ or ‘Hamster’.

I rather just call him hamster it seems eaiser. Its not like noone calls Winston Winston everyone just says monkey. or noone calls soldier soldier 76. and etc.

Winston was exactly the hero I had in mind. I typically refer to him by his name (e.g. “[Player name], can you go Winston?”), just not in the heat of battle (e.g. “Monkey one! Monkey one!”). Only time will tell if I shorten ‘Hamster’ to ‘Ham’, since telling someone ‘to go ham’ currently means ‘to play very aggressively’.

He’s called “wrecking ball” because that’s what he called in junkertown. It’s his alias. It’s the same way hana song is called D.va in game

1 Like

Or why reaper is called reaper its an Alias. Or how Phara is a Alias most of the heroes never use there real name. just code names.

1 Like

I completely agree with you I hate that they’re calling the hero by his mech’s name. Was wondering if this also bothered anyone else. I really hope before it gets to live they change it to Hammond.

1 Like

About half the heroes in the game are known by a different alias than their first name. We don’t call Doomfist Akande, we don’t call Widowmaker Amélie, we Don’t call Reaper Gabriel, so why is calling Hammond Wrecking Ball any different?

1 Like

Because Wrecking Ball is the mech, and the hero selection screen and portrait show Hammond’s face instead

What does that have to do with anything? We also see Doomfist’s face in the hero selection screen instead of his gauntlet.

[Hesrightyouknow.gif] Hammond is the champion. He’s the hamster. The ball is his super suit/Meka/weapon. Wrecking Ball is a reaaaally bad name. It may be a nickname, so that could be how you’re justifying it. But it’s a bad nickname. It’s longer than his actual name.

#petitionsigned

1 Like

In the cinematic trailer and everywhere else, they call Doomfist “Doomfist”.

In Wrecking Ball’s origin story, they never mention “Wrecking Ball”, they talk about Hammond, how Hammond is smart, how Hammond escaped, they talk about how Hammond is looking for adventure and even Wrecking Ball’s pop-up screen at first login starts talking about Hammond.

Hammond has been focused too much to name the hero after his mech

1 Like

There’s no comparison. Stop comparing this situation to other heroes.
Bottom line: Hammond has more of a ring to it, has more personality and is the name we are all familiar with; Wrecking ball just sounds… like a missed opportunity

Since the community has been introduced to this hero since lunar colony launch as, “Hammond,” I think it’s right to just keep that name. Wreaking Ball is fine, but the community will most likely continually call him, “Hammond.”