I made a Bastion Rework

I’d like to preface this by saying the following: I AM NOT ASKING BLIZZARD TO USE MY IDEA. I put this together purely for fun and to test out the new Progress Bar and Custom Color values in the workshop, so don’t take this TOO seriously!

Here’s the code: 51ZZ8

Recently, I’ve been thinking about Bastion’s current state. He’s not in as bad of a state as he has been in the past, but he still could definitely use some work.

There were some problems that I found with the character. My main goals for this were:

• Make Bastion a more skillful hero to play. Right now, a gold player can get relatively similar value from Bastion compared to a Masters Bastion. While of course the Masters player will have better targeting, mechanics, and likely positioning, the Bastion in gold is still perfectly capable of performing well due to the worse performance of all players.

• Don’t alienate Bastion’s current players. Many reworks drastically change his current playstyle and would ruin many players’ favorite heroes.

• Give Bastion more opportunities to reposition. Currently, his only method of travel is by walking in Recon. Allow him to get back to the fight/reposition without making him a mobility-focused hero.

• Address some of the problems Bastion Players would like solved. Things like lower configuration times.

So, here are all of the changes I came up with:

General

• Base Health reduced from 200 to 100
  • Base Armor increased from 100 to 175 (Total Health now 275)

Reconfigure

• Damage reduced by 35% during animation
  • Knockback received reduced by 50% during animation
  • Both effects wear off after the duration is completed
  • Does not protect against stuns or hacks

New Ability: Shock

• Bastion redirects electricity from his sentry into a single bolt directed to whoever is closest to him. This bolt slows the target by 45% and deals 50 damage over 4 seconds. Bastion’s Sentry is Overheated (see below for details).

• Cooldown: 12 seconds

Configuration: Recon

• Primary Fire Damage increased by 10%
  • Max ammo reduced from 35 to 30

Self Repair

• Healing reduced by 25%
  • When in Configuration: Recon, Bastion will now consume an additional 14(ish)% resource per second
  • When in Configuration: Recon, Bastion now gains a 30% speed boost
  • If Bastion is below Max health, the speed boost consumption will stack with the health regeneration and will consume more resource.
  • No additional resource is consumed in sentry form

Configuration: Sentry

• Max ammo reduced from 300 to 250

• Now has an Overheat mechanic. When firing, the overheat bar will increase by 17.5% per second.

• After not firing for 0.5 seconds, the Overheat bar will decrease at 35% per second. This automatically triggers when leaving Configuration: Sentry.

• From 0-30%, the bar is at Neutral and deals 75% of Bastion’s current value.

• From 31-70%, the bar is at Warm and deals 100% of Bastion’s current value.

• From 71-99%, the bar is at Hot and deals 125% of Bastion’s current value.

• Does NOT affect Configuration: Recon.

Configuration: Tank

• Now grants 75 temporary armor upon activation
  • Armor is removed once the ultimate finishes

Please let me know what you think! Again, keep in mind that I’m limiting myself to what I can do in the workshop and that I’m no professional. I’m a flex player in Plat, don’t take my balancing ideas for gospel or anything.

You can add a Reinhardt Bot by pressing the interact key/button.

Thank you to all those who gave feedback in the previous post! Any more is appreciated. I will continue to update the rework for as long as I’m interested, so if you have an idea or recommendation, I’d still be open to hear and make modifications.

3 Likes

Time to bust out the Switch and give this a go! I’ll be back shortly after experimenting.

1 Like

First of all, this is super fun I won’t lie.

Secondly, I’m noticing that hitting the button to spawn a Reinhardt just adds another one to the game. They respawned in their spawn and are not coming out. Any way you could fix this so they teleport to my location instead?

Ahh yeah I can put a quick fix for that. You’re gonna need to re-enter the code when I fix it and reset the custom game. I’ll edit this when it’s fixed

1 Like

Nice, thanks. Overall this feels a lot like what I wanted for Bastion. Maybe if possible, a QoL suggestion I have is add a mini version of the overheat bar next to my health, so I can see how charged it is while out of Sentry

Kinda like how Rein and Sigma can see their barrier health while not in use

Alright - I added both of your suggestions to the code. It should still be the same code - 51ZZ8.

I couldn’t make the bar smaller, and it can only be at the top. So I just made it so that it is always there.

1 Like

Yeah, I expected technical limitations lol

Thank you for this, being able to see my Sentry meter while not in Sentry is rather handy.

I’ve always had one last idea for Bastion, if you’re interested… an E ability (or right bumper button or whatever lol)

I really wanted to add one. But I just couldn’t really decide on what I wanted… nothing I could do realistically would mesh super well with the rest of his kit.

Here were some of my ideas:

• Rocket Jump: Bastion creates a small explosion around him, knocking other players back and dealing moderate damage. It also bounces him up (intended for him to reach high ground easier)

• Shock: Bastion shocks everyone around him, stunning them for a short duration and dealing minor damage over time. Overheats Bastion’s Sentry doing so. (Intended to help against dive)

Hm… interesting ideas. However, I must say that rocket jumping has always been a part of Bastion’s kit, thanks to Tank mode.

As for Shock… I don’t really wanna be that guy, but… do we need more stuns in the game? I know it helps overheat the gun, but stuns would just give more people more reason to hate this hero lol

Hmm… now that I think about it, there might be a way for the Shock to work.

Let’s make it a single target ability versus an AOE. He needs to be close to them. He shocks one person, and instead of a stun, they get slowed and take small damage over time (let’s say 50 or so).

That way he can’t use it offensively (no reason to get up close to an enemy mccree or something when all you’re doing is slowing them.)

He’ll only be using it effectively to escape from divers like Winston or D.Va.

Damage over time is better, no doubt. But I still find myself wondering: why an ability about killing dive tanks? Bastion already shreds Tank heroes in general, especially Winston. I personally think a defensive ability might suit better

Although this shock ability is interesting and hope something like it gets used on a hero

That’s what it is. 50 damage is NOTHING against a Dive Tank, and the slow would be what he uses it for. He’d slow the Dive Tank to allow him to escape from being killed.

Yeah, the slow effect will definitely take it’s toll on dive tanks. It’s not about the damage. Bastion’s damage in Sentry is the main reason why he wrecks them.

It’s really a matter of “why would Bastion use Shock and then run, when he could use Shock, slow down the tank, and burn then down instantly?”

It’s just making him even better at killing tanks he was already good at killing

Hmm… what I could do is make Shock overheat his Sentry. As in, all the way. He can’t use Sentry and his only option will be to A) Shoot at it with his Recon Gun (which would barely kill a Winston in one clip, wouldn’t kill D.Va) or B) Use Self-Repair to escape

I could also make it a punishing cooldown. The Dive tanks could escape or get to cover until the slow finishes (via leap or rocket boost) and then dive the Bastion again if he decides to stay where he was.

Yes, make it punishing if used poorly. Make sure the cooldown is lengthier than Winston’s Leap, D.Va’s Boosters, and Ball’s Grappling Claw. That way, like you said, Bastion can be dove again if he risks holding his ground.

Probably a 12 second cooldown.

I’ll get to work! If the experiment doesn’t work out very well, I won’t add it. I’ll reply again if I can get anywhere.

1 Like

Okay, sounds good. I’ll keep all notifications on for this thread so I get an update

1 Like

Alright, I’ve updated the code with Shock. I’ll change my OP with the new patch notes.

Tell me what you think!

1 Like

I say that, and I’m a day late… whoops

I’ll be on my Xbox in a few and I’ll try it out

I knew that would happen. I was like “huh… they haven’t replied in a while” but then realized I hadn’t hearted your post. And it worked

1 Like