I live in NA but got put into SA servers how do I get back?

No, Blizzard and the client application chooses the target ip, the ISP just routes traffic to that server. If I land on SA servers from Canada, something is very wrong and it’s certainly not tthat the SA server is has a faster round trip time, ping or whatever measure you assume they would use.

1 Like

yeah nah it’s not my isp. it’s blizzard. only America region servers putting me into wrong servers.

Please include a WinMTR so it shows what’s happening to your connection.

WinMTR instructions (click to expand/collapse)

Follow the support documentation for WinMTR. If you’re unable to get into a game for the IP address, then use an IP from the table provided on that page that matches your region. Run the test until you encounter the issue again, or for at least 10 minutes.

Share your results in a reply:

1. Click the “Copy Text to clipboard” button after you’ve finished the test per the instructions.
  2. Paste the text in a reply, then highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.
  3. Break any links by adding a space before .com, .net, etc.

Note: I’m an MVP/volunteer, and I don’t work at Blizzard. :stars:

you know people have done this mmmm 50+ times now?

Here is Drakuloth explaining to players in Sydney how they are ending up on the wrong server, which is likely the same type of situation here.

yeah i don’t need explained basic networking. i want a fix. i am FROM NA EAST QUEUEING INTO FOREIGN GAMES. NO OTHER GAME IS DOING THIS AND NO OTHER GAME SUGGESTS IM HAVING ISP PING ISSUES.

They can’t make your ISP fix it. They choose how you reach the server. If they are using a longer route to avoid congestion, it may connect you to other regions with a lower ping, as described above.

yeah for the 100th time. it isn’t my isp. isn’t it funny that only America region OW games do this? but literally nothing else on the internet. literally only OVERWATCH NA REGION. i’ve called my isp. and it isn’t them. he even talked with me for 2+ hours trying solutions. he even took the time to join your forums just to see how pitiful you guys are blaming it on other people.

2 Likes

I did the following, WinTMR to a Blizz server (central) i have a problem with an NTT node. Then i did a WinTMR to a Dota2 server (east) and i had no problem cause it didnt went through that NTT node, so yeah its definitely not my ISP.

Continuing to blame people ISP rather than looking for the real seems disrespectful and lazy to me, since clearly a lot of other people from different regions with most certainly different ISPs, have the same issue starting exactly at the same time. Though getting angry doesn’t help either, even though i understand the anger since i am having the same issues and i only have issues with Overwatch and AFTER the patch, i literally played just shortly before that completely fine.

I don’t work for Blizzard, and I don’t think they’re being lazy. There is an issue happening with a routing partner in the US, more info there.

It smells like a BGP routing issue to me, but I’ve only administrated networks professionally for the past 10 years. I’d mention something about it here but I know it won’t go any further than the post. I still believe in you Blizzard, I still believe in Overwatch it just FeelsBadMan.

They’ve already identified it as an issue with NTT, which they talk about in the thread I linked.

nah that guy explaining why the people in Australia getting put on the wrong server is not the case. I’ve played through multiple updates and have had no problem like this before. It’s not my ISP or whatever else stupid excuse blizzard comes up with. It’s on their end not mine.

@nicole. i’ve actually called NTT and talked to them and got info from them. Blizzard is using something called low bouncing to connect people to servers. which is severely inefficient. until they stop or add a menu to pick your server on log in, it won’t be fixed.

Well they’re going to have server maintenance on Monday. So maybe they’ll address the issue and fix it but who knows, this is Blizzard we are talking about

Its obvious what Overwatch did, read the patch notes for the summer event. They did some server optimization and tracking in the patch, they obviously messed up the server route optimization. So even though you select NA server, it thinks for what ever reason you should be on the SA server, and nothing you do is going to change that. So your ISP routes you to that server which gives you insane lag and cuts you off of LFG. Bliz needs to at least acknowledge that this is their problem and that they are working on it. Because right now the only thing I have seen them say about it is “we think its a traffic jam with your ISP”. If your network/server team truly thinks that then fire them all, I can do much better by myself.

My experience has been a little different. I do ,more often than not, get connected to a server that is suboptimal, but it changes for me, almost, with each match. I check the server at the beginning of each match, but by now I can tell which server I’m connected to just by my ping lol. It is a real bummer since the event is going on. Oh well.

Don’t they already do that with the server select on the origin launcher? There has to be some optimazation rule they created like “if user has so much ping switch to SA server”

My latency tends to go high when entering maps and such, then levels out. I’m guessing that’s why it stupidly thinks, “Oh, his ping when he first starts is high so that’s what his ping will always be. Let’s put him where his ping is lowest now instead of where it’s going to be lowest when it normalizes.” At least I’m guessing that’s one of the issues.