I don’t understand why Colony and Paris was removed

if they remove paris from qp i will riot😤 i am paris’ one fan and you will have to take it from my cold dead hands

1 Like

forgive me if I sound silly, but what is a denizen? Lol

I never really saw anything wrong with either Paris or Colony - I can accept it that they’ve taken them away but why is it still in QP and Arcade is my question lol

I actually quite enjoy Paris - contrary to popular opinion.

I always thought it encouraged creativity in terms of compositions and was one of the few maps that always required more teamwork from both sides - which was entertaining.

But I still think it’s unfair to leave the map in the game modes where players are most affected by the flaws with the maps whereas they removed it from the one gamemode where you can play on both sides? It’s just unfair lol

They pulled it from comp, because people were leaving to cancel matches, it wasn’t a case of people not wanting to play a certain section. It was no-one likes it and would rather nope out than endure a 20+ minute match on there.
In QP or Arcade a leaver is replaced via backfill and the matches are 1/3rd to 1/2 as long as general comp matches are.

In QP/A you aren’t being ranked and expected to perform your best, in comp you are and leaving as an immediate impact both on your score and reputation. Enough people were leaving and cancelling matches to warrant removing them while they are reworked, you basically need a whole team to bail for a QP match to boot you to the menu so it’s not nearly a problem there.

2 Likes

Denizen: “An inhabitant or occupant of a particular place.”

1 Like

Players didn’t like them because it gave Rein and Ana vertical disadvantages.

They also made Teleport useful, we can’t have that too.

Yes. They also think that 2CP, as a mode, has “fundamental flaws”:

What I’m picturing is a drop down box that allows each player to not be put into that game mode type, possibly for QP/QPC only. You’d only be allowed to sit out of one type at a time - 2CP, KoTH, Payload and in OW2, Push. (I combine hybrid and payload because let’s be honest, the CP in hybrid maps are just flavour and the meat of the level is in pushing the payload.) There’d still be some question of separating players, but considering that one game mode is viewed as problematic by the devs themselves, I think it’s a price worth paying.

1 Like

i have no stats to back this up, but i have a 99% winrate on that map, both defense and attack, so i don’t care about fair :rofl:

also it’s qp, if someone really doesn’t want to play it just leave, it has no negative consequences in qp unless you’re a chronic leaver, it’s not really comparable either to comp since matches are so short anyways especially on paris if you get snowballed lol

if we’re gonna start asking for qp to be the same as comp then i want purple credits there too :triumph:

1 Like

People literally would leave games and take the 50 SR penalty and suspension from comp… simply because they got these maps. If that doesn’t tell you something is wrong then idk what to tell you.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter - if it’s deemed unplayable by the developers - then the only right thing to do is to pull it from the game whilst it’s reworked.

Backfill is just as much of an issue because leaving disadvantages the team with the leveller - meaning that whoever is being back filled is 9 times out of 10 put into a game where they’re likely to face a loss.

Backfill in my eyes is not a solution for keeping something that they see as a mistake in the game modes. In fact, it only shows their bias towards competitive and their negligence towards the casual player base and their experience of the game

1 Like

I thought they removed them to work on them some more. Was that not the case?

Only for Comp. We still have them in QP. :unamused:

Maybe? I have no idea what they could possibly do to make it work.

Personally I would be avoiding KOTH every time if I could because that’s the one gamemode that I despise with my entire being

I think the fundamental issue isn’t the gamemode but perhaps the fact that the didn’t establish a “classic” gamemode? There is no gamemode that is viewed as the normal one so they can’t base it around that - which would’ve been helpful to them if they did.

Honestly, I win a lot of the times on Paris too, but again, this isn’t about me-experience but Blizzard’s lack of consistency with their message and actions.

As for gold guns, I have no idea why they blocked it behind a special currency and didn’t make them achievement based as then it would show a degree of skill to achieve said item.

Well, the thing is, they deemed them as unplayable but kept them in the core game and only removed them from competitive which makes no sense but heyho

I think most people view payload maps (both kinds) as the default. Sure, people don’t like Havana, but the complaints about that are always about it being a sniper-fest, rather than the actual gamemode. I would guess that when most people think of THE Overwatch map, they think of King’s Row.

1 Like

Backfill allows a match to still happen even if someone leaves, without it that match was wasted matchmaker time/resources.
As the population dwindles in higher tiers that becomes far more egregious. People waiting an hour for a match, loading in to Paris/HLC and immediately getting hit with someone leaving (or leaving themselves) simply because the map is bad is much more of an issue than someone in QP or Arcade getting a leaver who will be replaced.

They left them in because out of 100 matches if Paris/HLC make up ten, in Comp those ten may as well not be matched as people leave early enough to cancel it and boot everyone back into queue, under the same constraints in QP/A those ten matches give them data of who’s frequently picked, how certain strategies perform and even if the map has a noticeable bias for attackers or defenders.

They aren’t unplayable. They’re community wide despised for making an unenjoyable match.

I don’t think it’s crazy to ask Bliz to take maps that are “community wide despised for making an unenjoyable match” out of QP, too.

1 Like

I don’t think so either, personally I think they should only be available in skirmish rn, but Blizz works in mysterious ways and I don’t claim to understand them.

1 Like

So I guess we’re actually in agreement then. Cool. :slight_smile:

They should establish Payload as the classical game-mode.

That’s how something like CSGO did it, theres plenty of game modes that one can select, and play if they desire to (which they can then select which maps they want to play) but the competitive experience is based on their core gamemode - which is the elimination style objective gamemode. Same as Rainbow Six seige, you either kill everyone or you complete the objective to win the round.

Personally, I was always part of the Dust II crowd, with a bit of cheeky Mirage and Inferno on the side. But the reason that worked was because Valve established what they wanted their core game and representative gamemode to be.

Blizzard for some reason seems to be too afraid to take charge and establish what their game is meant to be and remain in this limbo of uncertainty - which is consequently affecting their player base

So what does one do when they’re trying to play a match with one or two teammates constantly backfilling because they don’t want to play the map?

Backfill isn’t a solution - it’s an excuse to let others have their experience ruined by someone who is unwilling to commit to the match. Yeah, maybe it is just “quickplay” but there’s a reason the core game came with QP and not competitive.

Backfilling is enabling for people to have the freedom to leave without punishment for THEM, but it affects the people that stay in the game and the players that have to backfill for those.

Players don’t queue to join a game that will disadvantage them.

If the map is an issue across the board, then it should be treated that way too - not just be removed from competitive.

I personally see backfill as a lazy solution to a bigger problem, which is why I can’t accept that as a reason for the maps staying in the core game

1 Like

EVERY game mode is designed “for fun”. Thats why they call them GAME modes.

Me and you clearly have very different ideas for what counts as fun.

Would you rather I waited until 3 minutes into the match before leaving and leave you with a 5v6 scenario where you’re almost never going to win?

Or should i leave at the start. Cancel the match and nobody except me loses SR?

I’m playing games to have fun. I’m never having fun on numbani so theres no way I’m “Sitting through it”.

No offence to you but that’s just the way I am.