I can end the MM system debate with this simple question

Another option => just remove the MMR totally

5 Likes

Its not explanation how system works. Its theory not supported with evidence.

3 Likes

It’s a classic realization that people get eventually that detail ≠ evidence or accuracy.

1 Like

If you would have read the thread he cites from the devs statements on how it works and provides observable evidence you can see in your own matchups . I think you’re getting a theory conflated with a guess a theory is backed up with evidence.

I did read his topic and i know his opinions. He thinks matchmaker is handicapping players but doesnt show any evidence for the claim. Matchmaker is creating balanced games 50/50, thats not handicapping. Devs said matchmaker is trying to make 50/50, handicapping is just theory not supported by evidence.

And I do. And i am collecting information about the system for years. There is no such thing as handicapping. He isnt even playing comp several says as he said in another topic. So why do you believe his theory?

2 Likes

Please stop spam-linking this garbage thread now under an alias Cuthbert. You’ve been doing it for years and it’s as nonsensical now as it was then.

1 Like

Let’s give it to him, the thread is probably the most read and commented thread in the forum history <3

Yes because he and his friends are posting link everywhere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Still.

Should be an OW achievement tbh :slight_smile:

Maybe you gain less SR when you are against weaker teams that let you do that with them.

1 Like

For spreading a quote-mining lump of garbage in the guise of a theory? It’s been a disservice to the player base if anything. The post is used by players unaware how Matchmakers work and angry that OW’s works pretty par all things considered. If you feel stuck in a 50/50 win/loss, that means the MM is working perfectly.

2 Likes

Well we know that the Matchmaking system works in this way

1. Designer Scott Mercer explains:

"When the matchmaker creates a match, it determines the % chance for each team to win based on the match it made. The VAST majority of matches are usually near to 50% (especially if you’re a player closer to median skill rating and you’re not in a group). When we do put you in a match that we know isn’t a 50/50, we adjust your SR gain or loss based on your calculated change of winning.

1. The patent that was uncovered from Blizzard for their matchmaking system by a user by the name of PrototypeOW that forced a response from Jeff Kaplan where he did not refute that the Matchmaking actively "handicaps a team to force an “equal” or “50% win chance” for either team.

To quote one of the many articles that came from this debacle
" Instead of putting players in teams where they are on the same level as the players, the game instead puts players in teams that evens their chances of winning. Simply put, players who perform poorly will be placed in a team that performs much better than them"

• Micky.com.au (in a summation of the conclusions of examining the details of the matchmaking system.
5 Likes

The issue with this whole thing is it equates:
“Win chance’ to ‘rigging”

It’s more like this grossly simplified example of:
2300 game might have:
2100, 2500, 2300, 2700, 1900, 2300
V
2800, 1900, 2200, 2300, 2600, 2200

Where the higher ranked (relative) are balanced with weaker and vice versa. This isn’t handicapping; this is ensuring a balanced game (assuming all players’s are accurately placed and playing at average quality).

It’s not making climbing impossible nor needlessly convoluted; it’s just balancing the game.

1 Like

It was already told many times here. Patent content certain parts which are seen in different games like cod or Destiny. Not in overwatch. So this patent is for other games.

And it was uncovered from Activision.

Kaplan didnt refute it? So what? It doesnt mean he confitmed it either. I have seen his response, he didnt say abything about handicapping.

50/ 50 chance to win for both teams is not handicapping. Its making fair match.

This is made up myth which is not true.

You are placed in games randomly based on your mmr to fill team to have same average vs enemy team. Generaly speaking games will be around your MMR. Your level of performance has no effect on getting bad or good team mates.

1 Like

Well, blizzard dont give out any details do they…More damingly, they dont come out and debunk our theories either. And then there’s people like HeyZeus who just disbelieve everyone who even hints at matchmaking shennanigans.
After 5 years peoples experience of MMR differences have both been documented with actual data* and so many people report on this same thing that it’s starting to get into conspiracy theory territory to deny it.

• a few years back I started noticing a trend in my games: My teams were consistently lower SR than me so I started recording this and over over 250 games my SR was higher than my teams in all but 5 games. Clearly not random chance any more, you’d expect a normal distribution (bell curve) around my SR if that was the case. Proof of SR/MMR in one account RIGHT THERE.
1 Like

They did explain how system works in past, people create conspiracy theories going against their statement anyway. Why would they bother to debunk it over and over again when you just watch and laugh how are some people crazy.

1 Like

Their every word is quote-mined into such a contortion it lacks any trace of what it means. Just look at how “50/50 win chance” transmogrified into ‘forced 50/50.’ Why would anyone as a dev speak in that case? Less fuel for the fire at least.

1 Like

How long is conspiracy theory going on or number of people believing doesnt make it true. In past majority of human population believe that earth is flat. It didnt make it true either.

And there is no data supporting handicapping anyway. Actualy there is plenty of evidence its nonsense as players are climbing on live streams if hey are improving.

2 Likes

Yeah they did comment on MMR/SR but they did not mention anything about what else the MM does or answer any questions. They also claimed that MMR chases SR closely wich has been proven to be outright FALSE. (by myself and alt accounts in lower elos)
Then there’s the Matchmaking patents that they hold that mention these EXACT things…If they dont use them in OW, then come out and say it…

2 Likes

Well its more like SR is chasing MMR actualy. Are you sure they didnt say it like this?

Its pretty accurate statement that SR and MMR is very close most of the time, which you can see at SR gains. What do you mean about alts in lower elos and you proving it wrong? Explain it please.

Why do you even care about some kind of patent. I think overwatch is using something different but ok, lets pretend its using that patent. So what? Players are climbing even with it, even stuck ones if they actualy start learning the game, so that handicapping patent kind of failed…

People repeat patent stuff like mantra and if it really is used, it does nothing lol. I climbed multiple times on all roles and didnt experience any handicapping.

Can you explain to me how I could climb in handicapping system?

1 Like