I’d rather have Sym’s turrets removed

Idk Torb seems in a better place than Sym

4 Likes

I’d rather her be a Support, just give her Orbs the ability to heal allies, or turn her right click into a healing beam.

1 Like

Her turrets are oppressive in lower rank. Three extra sources of fire on players who (1) take longer to find the source, and (2) have crappy aim.

2 Likes

This wouldn’t help her any. She needs to get up close and personal to do anything and she’s just to squishy.

1 Like

I want her little shield and auto lock back so bad lmao

1 Like

Just on the topic, one of the designers wrote about their experiment with giving her healing turrets in the first reply here:

But that was a couple years back though, so I wonder if it’d still be clunky now that her and the game have changed so much.

Remove turrets and let her generate those Oasis cars using her hard light… to wash some cars in the blood of her foes. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Why didn’t they give her turrets a healing aura (a la S76’s can of beans) instead of firing healing lasers, or speed up the deploy speed so that her healing turrets could keep up with OW’s pace? Weird.

I’m not qualified to say if Torb’s up to par or not, but he feels much better to play than Sym, imo. His turret can’t reach the same DPS potential of all of Sym’s turrets at once, but frankly, it feels better to have a sturdier, single turret that’s available more often. I wish his RMB got its damage reverted, but that said, his gun can do work. Overload is a swiss army knife of an ability. Yeah, Torb’s cool in my book.

I don’t think one can objectively say it’s her turrets holding her back at all but I agree nevertheless.

Why I think turrets not being a problem is because we had over a year of a completely unnerfed sym3.0 i.e. non-infinite tp sym before infinite tp patch. And in that year+ we had many meta shifts and sym was objectively underperforming throughout. i.e. big indicator that there’s room for buffs (not necessarily on turrets, but the rest of her kit) without making her OP nor oppressive, esp now when everything of hers has been nerfed.

what’s obstructing healthy sym changes are the devs’ mentality and the community’s bias. both of which are subjective reasoning rather than objective.

5 Likes

She’s a useless hero anyway so might as well do a full removal on the hero entirely.
I mean if you’re going to suggest a identical ability from her kit to be removed so beam can be powerful. Remove the hero entirely because more power isn’t what she needs.

No.

NO. The game doesn’t need even more CC than it already does.

How much worse can these suggestions get?? :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Now call me crazy but what if Sym had 2 or maybe just 1 barricade that had her turrets that would just destroy someone that is on the enemy team trying to go threw it and it can be placed anywhere but the spawn.

here’s what I’d do
Make it so each turret has minimal value, and instead is invisible until hitting a target. It would be used like venom mine, rather than as a microwave

2 Likes

Whether it is holding her back or not. The real reason why they will not remove the turrets is because it would be a waste of an asset.

The turrets are already modeled and textured for each skin. It is very unlikely they would throw away something that took time to make.

Though they might reuse the turrets for something else, but not fully remove them.

1 Like

Or we could straight buff other parts of her kit, since she doesn’t need compensation nerfs and just needs tp and primary range buffs.

2 Likes

I’ve actually wanted something like this for a while. And if it’s implemented like Fortnite, so be it.

I know people want every hero to be balanced (i do as well), but I don’t want it to be at the cost of their unique abilities and inspiration.

Don’t want to see Sym become a squishier Zarya that can teleport on occasion.

Leave beam alone.

Revert Orb damage to 120. Increase low end damage. Speed them up to allow aim to be rewarded.

Turrets no longer slow, damage nerfed to 10-20 DPS. Durability increased to 50. Turrets now tether their target within their 10 meter range. Target cannot escape unless they destroy the Turrets that bind them or they have an ability that breaks beam contact (Zarya bubble, Recall, Wraith Form, Fade and Barriers)

Here’s a spitball thought. Don’t remove turrets, but take them off the ability slot and make them tied to alternate fire. Like this:

Alternate fire orbs now spawn a turret when hitting a surface. Turrets have 10 HP, and deal 15 dps with a 5% slow. Maximum 3 active at once. This effect can be toggled on or off with the weapon swap key. (So you don’t just constantly replace your own turrets)

Then open up the SHIFT ability for something shielding related such as a version of her old photon barrier / photon shield / shield gen.

Just an unfiltered thought.

1 Like

Do I really need to say in detail how terrible such an ability would be for the game lmao?? :rofl: :rofl:

More than the turrets I think it’s her teleporter that holds her back: On paper it’s an extremely potent tool that can bypass chokes and blindside the enemy team.

In reality, and for most of the player base: not so much. In most maps it’s really only useful in one particular location, and in most other cases killed by the interminable cooldown.
Even if it works, most of the time it makes her a one-gimmick hero who is switched off as soon as that gimmick no longer is useful.

Still, when balancing Blizzard has to take the potential of it into account (otherwise Symmetra might risk becoming OP, and we certainly can’t have that!).

1 Like