How'd you get started on the forums?

I guess this is mostly for the “veterans” out here but it can apply to anyone.

How’d you first start using the forums? How/why did you become a regular (if you are one)?

For me, I started back on the old forums. I think I only had like 3 posts (turns out it’s actually 12). Like most people, I’d essentially go on there just to complain about something. If I had a problem with how something was working in competitive, I’d vent about it then never look at the thread again.

I started becoming a regular a couple months ago (I guess more specifically, 92 days ago). I got a neat summer job that sits me at a computer all day and there’s a decent amount of down time with what I do. I used to spend that down time checking out stuff for OWL but that’d didn’t fill out much time. I don’t remember specifically why I came to the forums, I think I was looking for OWL discussions.

My first week here was… interesting. I immediately got into heated “debates” and got suspended on my first day for bypassing the swear filter lol. I eventually learned threads to avoid and how to talk on hear. Now, I gravitate towards design discussions and the more fun threads, like “what instrument would your main play?”. I’ve also come across a couple neat tricks on here so from time-to-time I’ll teach newer users some of them. Just about everything is available in the pinned HTML Tutorial at the top though.

EDIT:
I just remember something, aside from complaining I had a post about the old Uprising bug. I thought it’d be one of those threads that’d be super popular and get mentioned in a video lol. I feel like I was one of the first people to find this out

Looking at my old post history was pretty fun lol

If you’re interested in a specific person’s story feel free to use the “invite” button at the bottom. Looking forward to seeing what people’s stories are :]

3 Likes

Roadhog got nerfed for dumb reasons, then left at 0.5% pickrate for 3 months.

3 Likes

When I found out there was a forum for this game. I was excited at first than I learned the truth about the forums. It’s a place of suffering.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I started around the uprising event (the first) back in april.

I bought OW day one on console and played ever since. I came on the forums at that time because the aim system on console was still clunky.

Almost a year and a half have passed. Look at my post count and you’ll know how much progress has been done on the matter since.

And yes over 50%of these posts are specifically aimed towards the issue of console aiming.

Try the hearthstone forums… It’s somehow worse than this one.

1 Like

I usually join forums of games I start playing. Boy, do I regret it this time.

…At least this version of the forum doesn’t have downvotes. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I have no idea. Probably got bored at work and decided to tr- i mean have fun on the Overwatch forums.

Ah, the great squealing. Fun times.

I gotta check it out now lol

I got on first because the game got a little bit more toxic after the free weekend I joined on ended and I had a mild suggestions regarding it.

My activity gradually increased as I disliked the support changes to Ana and Lucio and then increased to the current excessive levels after the Mercy changes.

I was mostly a lurker on the old forums, posted on occasion. Then I quit Overwatch for a while and didn’t feel a need to come back. Started playing again and so I returned to the forums to discuss the game. I tend to get fixated on a video game that I’m playing and feel the need to talk about it often, so that’s why I’m here. I also have an incredibly dull night shift job where I have nothing else to do, so that’s a large part of it also.

I got bored mid game so i checkt the forum while i was respawning.
Now i am her almost ever day to see the news about why sombra needs a buff, mercy was better in 1.0 and how often this game has been declared dead.
Oh and i am so good in reading the COC that my main and another alt are already perma banned.

I have a desk job that gets boring sometimes, especially when summer season approaches. I needed some form of entertainment that didn’t involve me watching videos or something highly frowned upon.

Que Overwatch forums

Now I am a forum lurker and meme-er.

But I’ve also met some wonderful people in the process :smiley:

1 Like

I just randomly discovered it. It was on the old forums back it was horrible because downvotes existed but now they don’t :smiley:

1 Like

I started some time last year I think. I never considered it but one day I wondered if Overwatch had a forum and then yeah, lol.

Got a bit of a surpise when I came back to the forums this year after a while and it said it had moved.
I wasn’t a regular just found the posts very entertaining to read and I mean all of them. Right from the megathreads to hero changes and states all the way to the wacky waifu/fanfic-eque posts. Only time I really chime in is with posts I find interesting or funny.

1 Like

I usually always join forums for things I’m interested in. I think my first was a Pokemon forum called PE2K back in like … 2003? XP

Used to post on the WoW forums a bit, so I naturally came over to the OW forums once the game came out.

I had some ups and downs. Mostly because this forum is more PC than any other I’ve been on. Got suspended a couple times for really dumb reasons (like making an off-hand joke at CNN), etc.

So I just started kind of ignoring dumb posts and debating less about things that the mods clearly have a personal bias in, and more on just game stuff. Worked so far, haven’t gotten a suspension here on the new forums yet, though I do think sometimes they still watch my posts. XD

Anyway, now a days I mostly just post in the fun topics or defend Tracer in the “Nerf Tracer because I can’t hit her! Evil Dive! Reee!” threads. :stuck_out_tongue: Aside from that, I just lurk while waiting on queues to pop or chatting with friends.

1 Like

I’m pretty surprised with the community on the forums, and I don’t mean the complaining part of it. I’ve never frequented a forum before so I find it cool to see regulars and make friends on here

1 Like

When Sombra got buffed, but then nerfed just after two weeks.

Since the forums was the only “somewhat” viable way for opinions to be heard by the dev team, I kept posting.

To my sad realization, they couldn’t give a damn.

but, that being said, i’ve met a few individuals and regulars that I’ve come to enjoy seeing.

Yeah, for sure. The forums can get a little negative from time to time, but most of the people here all get along pretty well.

1 Like

I didn’t really know overwatch had a forum. I think I’d heard it referenced in a few overwatch videos but the fact just went unnoticed in my brain. I only became sort of active in June because I went to a link referenced in a video and since then I’ve really enjoyed reading the forums because I like to see the opinions etc. of my fellow players. When I wasn’t checking the forums I honestly felt kinda lonely and isolated. When I’d play overwatch I just queue for some games, maybe have a few short interactions with a few people, get yelled at a bit… So even if a lot of the threads on here are negative or complaining it’s nice to be in-touch with at least some of the community.