How to scale the supports vs dps vs tanks

The target. I think they should pick what ratios they want, and aim for that.

I think aiming for 1:1:1 would be actively harmful.

I think aiming to be somewhere in between where we are now, and 1:1:1 would be good.

Then STICK to that ratio. If you start drifting away, then do work to get it back.

In which case, yes.

^^^ - this right here.

I think that the difference in role ratios getting worse, is literally the biggest problem that Overwatch faces.

Overall retention ultimately is based on it.

3 Likes

I mean, maybe I just need better wordsmithing, but I’ve been saying this for at least the last 5 months.

Balancing the game towards more Tank popularity is important.

And with 2-2-2, it’s no longer important to balance the game in such a way that DPS have equal overall value as Tanks.
Tanks can have more overall value than DPS, and it’s not going to cause 3-4 Tanks on a team.

Said simpler:
They should intentionally powercreep unpopular Tanks, in ways that give them more self-reliance away from their team.

They could just ignore this Statement since tanks are supposed to be bulky unless it gets too out of hand

1 Like

I think is important as hell. I think Blizzard hasn’t done it, because they believed in the trinity a little too much. But ultimately, DPS didn’t rely on the tanks / supports nearly as much as the tanks / supports rely on each other.

Supports will need to be good at something else, as this is where a lot of their value comes from. That will have to come from other places.

Yeah, the right answer is “Good, they are meant to feel that way” - as long as the game doesn’t stalemate or the TTK gets too long, then this is a sign of a job well done.

3 Likes

Overwatch is doing the same thing as FF14 when it comes to character releases, prioritize DPS over the other roles because it has the largest playerbase. Healers haven’t gotten a new character in what, four years? Lol

1 Like

Well also it’s really pretty simple.

It boils down to

1. Fix Orisa, Sigma, Winston, D.va
  2. Greatly weaken or Remove strong “unmatrixable” AntiDive from heroes that aren’t offtanks (or make them into offtanks)
    • I.e. Brig, Bap, Mei
    • The crazy huge knockbacks that come from heroes that aren’t Tanks/Doomfist

I think that OW is quite as bad as FFXIV, which is a bit of a pathological case.

Support is the one role which had 2 heroes released back to back. I can’t fault Blizzard on their releases since, except maybe Echo. That was… a thing…

Then you have the other problem - Why play support?

You realize that support is ALSO losing players really fast. PriQueue was because of that too - you don’t just tanks, but a mix of tanks and supports when you select flex.

Flankers WRECK the support lineup. Removing any counterplay from there will lose you the support players, and the anti-flankers ARE the anti dive heroes.

2 Likes

I figure for the vast majority of players they spend a lot of time “poking at the choke” or “trickling”.

And for high tier players, they have teammate peeling.

And if it’s too much, they just buff the selfpeel on healers.

Supports are also the only role to lose a character to a different role. Which I believe is the reason for the double supports, as a replacement.

And Tracer as the #1 pick, which gives you an idea of the effectiveness of it.

You can’t peel for dead, peeling takes time, and support / flanker fights don’t leave time for that peeling to occurs.

Peeling for supports in high ranks is like trying to heal though a Widow head shot.

Making them anti-dive.

That is the issue, anti-flanker and anti-dive are very similar, you can’t put anti-dive ONLY in the Tank lineup.

I don’t get why having somewhere for supports to switch to, to have influence on the games outcome is a problem for you, but, most of your suggestions are “throw the supports under the bus, and then…”

1 Like

Specifically, you can make it so that “Unmatrixable Peeling” is something exclusive to OffTanks and OffHealer Ultimates.

Or at a minimum make it a lot weaker. I.e. Revert the changes to Lucio boop to 2018.

Cool with that.

Supports need something to deal with Tracer specifically, and it has to work.

should of just left it open queue, i primary support mostly i play open queue. Forcing roles down peoples throats isn’t right, especially when damage is lacking the ability to change party comp dynamic on the fly is what makes it fun.

I’m of the opinion than Dive heroes should be the most dominant at the highest skill tiers.

Because Dive is the only meta this game has had for any meaningful length of time, that wasn’t either

• Sniper Dominated
  • Excessive Defence

Then your can counterbalance the PeelTank portion of AnchorTank+PeelTank vs Dive.

Then they would have lost more people.

RoleQ brought an area of stability. OpenQ doesn’t have a lot of players. Hell, Top500 in some areas is in Plat because of how few players it has.

I’ve of the opinion you would lose your support players, and could have Dive for long since, your player ratios between roles would get bad, very quickly.

Dive is as bad as it gets for one of the roles. Why play support in dive? Literally there is nothing you can bring to the fight, which isn’t discord.

Dive was Zen + Lucio, BECAUSE Zen was the only person who could bring anything to the fight, and Lucio was only to speedboost Zen.

Queue times says different, and i would like to see stats on that if you have them

I figure you start with making Dive dominant. Then buff the Peel aspects of PeelTanks.

Such that the game alternatives between

• Dive meta
  • AnchorTank+PeelTank meta

But you’d need to create that scarcity of peel for AnchorTanks, to justify running a PeelTank when paired with an AnchorTank.

Assuming of course, this is also paired with buffing barriers back up to where they were in 2019.

Not having to wait for tank players is why they are different.

2 stats I can bring. Top500 IS much much much lower in openQ, which means, you can measure where you have only got 500 players playing above rank.

Top 500 in open queue in top top parts of GM in roleQ. This shows a LARGE difference in population.

Secondly, I’ll see if I can find Blizzard own “who popular each mode is in each region” data release.

You still haven’t given the supports a single reason to queue.
The game is completely out of their hands, why queue for that?

1 Like

I think you overestimated how many Support players were really focused on Peeling.

Brig has never really been popular below Masters, and a lot of players would prefer Brig with buffs to her brawling.

Baptiste Peeling, similarly rarely ever gets executed properly below Masters. And a lot of Bap players would prefer some sort of “selfish” buff.

And a lot of Lucio players would be happy as long as the overall changes make him more played. If that’s not enough, toss him a small buff. Like faster Ult charging.

Much less how competant non-Smurf Tracer players are below Masters.

I think you VASTLY underestimate the time the support have.

Look at GM right now. Tracer is #1 DPS pick, that is 100% because Brig can’t peel as effectively as before.

And yet, in the place where you say it IS executed properly, Tracer is #1 pick.

Brig was the ONLY reason Tracer stopped being #1 pick, and now she is nerfed, Tracer is back to being #1 pick.

Because the supports NEED ways to defend against flankers. You can’t have tanks doing it, because you give up an offensive tank to do so.