How to Fix Strange LOW FPS In Overwatch with Explanations!

This game currently has an issue with computers “System Hardware Timers” and Prioritizes use of HPET (High Precision event timer) which is a compatibility timer over RTC (Real Time Clock with a battery inside your pc) and your CPU’s TSC (Time Stamp Clock) The Problem is with HPET is it runs absolutely horrible with this game for some strange reason and is meant for keeping more accurate time in case any of those other functions fail such as on server use this fixed all the issues i was having i hope it fixes yours.

in order to fix this issue try :
In WINDOWS run this command as admin and restart your computer go straight into bios and disable HPET , This Command will delete high precision event timer from launching on start up by disabling it from the Boot Configuration Data (Windows). This will force windows to run on TSC and RTC as windows uses all 3 timers (4 if windows 10). for some strange reason the game or windows picks HPET as the primary timer which is what causes this issue.

WINDOWS KEY + R

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

The Opposite of this command is :

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

So if this fails to fix the issue go ahead and run the /set command then restart the computer go into bios and reset it back on, that way you have a way to start out normal.

Steps in case you get lost:

1. Disable HPET Priority in Windows
  2. Restart
  3. Go Into BIOS
  4. Disable HPET IN BIOS.
  5. Save and restart.
  6. Launch game and enjoy :]
2 Likes

can u make a video on it or someone doing it? im afraid of going to bios and u knoww…

I could do that, the only issue with it is; it depends on the Motherboard Manufacturers UEFI in Bios; and i wouldn’t be able to post the video here for helpful reference as the blizzard forums don’t Accept URLs.

I would recommend finding Documentation on the BIOS for the Motherboard that you have.

from what I’ve seen it can be worded in different way’s, don’t be afraid of the bio’s they can be Resetted at any time by resetting the CMOS on your motherboard (refer to motherboard manual or look for CMOS stamp on board) as long as you don’t mess with voltages you don’t really have a chance of breaking anything.

sometimes it will be worded as “HPET SUPPORT : [ENABLED]” Set it to disabled make sure you run the BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE command first before doing this, you can do it afterwards but it will require another restart and windows might act funky at first because it won’t know what clock to use.

if your using award software bios aka phoenix it will be located in power management.

Most Bios prefer to have it inside of Power Management.

1 Like

If you disabled HPET in the Bios first before running the command in windows run, can you repeat the process by enabling it in the Bios, run the delete command and afterwards disable it again?

I have disable hpet from device manager, not bios, idk the difference is, but my OV felt slower, but that’s prob just me or because idk, i turned off the PC and the day after which is today, imma try in the next few hours, 1 thing i can confirmed is
‘My sim value is still the same, the first is 5.6 - 5.6 - 5.6 and keep changing from 5.6 to 11 max average, but can go even further making the game felt slow and unresponsive pls help

The sim THAT keep changing ONLY the third value

I capped my fps to 169

SIM value is unaffected by anything other than framerate. It is not a solid objective value of input lag, only a value of your input lag because of framerate. (ie, how many frames are being buffered). There are hundreds if not thousands of other small calculations being done inbetween click and action that dictate [true] input lag.

SIM value is not the number to look at. The only way to truly measure input lag is with a high speed camera and even that is imprecise.

So what your saying is, i should cap it around 250 to 300 fps, cause more framerate more playable right? But idk sometimes in big fights my fps go down from 200 - 250 all the way to 160, it seem nothing, but me as a genji main, it felt like my mouse and movement is like im floating or floaty mouse, idk if it just me or what, cause pros fps always go down from 200 fps to lower, but their aim is still sharp, even HAKSAL fps always go down all the way to 90 fps, but it seems that it doesn’t bother him, please i need help

All you have to do is close the Blizzard Launcher in the background.

I have, i set it to close app when playing overwatch and re appear after i close it

Make sure HPET is also disabled in bios, Technically the game is also limited by it’s netcode which is 63hz, Disabling HPET from device manager doesn’t disable the function from windows completely, I’ve seen videos on it and have tested it myself and it does help with frames but not as much as disabling from bios and disabling the function from starting on start up. I’d reccomend running as high priority too.

@grasshopper

Yes you can if you disable it in bios then go into windows and run the command you will have to restart the computer as a restart is required to turn off HPET since it’s something that runs on kernel level after running the command. if you enable in bios first then go into windows and run the delete command it won’t apply until the computer is restarted, all BCD commands only apply when windows is restarted.

i run overwatch on a laptop and when i go in my bios there is no option to disable hpet please help!

Some motherboard manufacturers don’t offer the option to disable HPET in bios, e.g. Asus for some motherboards.

You can try to disable it in Windows device manager, it’s found under “System devices”.

Btw this doesn’t work for me: I get the error “Element not found.” (I have Windows 7 if that has anything to do with it.)

First off, I know this is total necro-ing and I’m sorry if it’s against the rules.

The reason why I’m responding to this particular thread (vs. starting a new one) is because this is the only topic here where I’ve seen HPET brought up in a manner where the OP seemed to know what he’s talking about at the time he posted it.

So I just wanted to ask if anyone else knows much about this, whether they’ve seen benefits to disabling it, etc…

For reference, I run a pretty high-end system (1080ti / 4790k) but my CPU always seems to be working less than it should (if I remember correctly, even when the graphics are turned down to low). So I was wondering if anyone who’s done this has seen an improvement to their CPU utilization. Or am I already in a good spot because most of the resources are being drawn by the GPU?

Overall, my game runs very smoothly but I’d like it to run even better if all it takes is a quick fix such as disabling HPET.

[Edited by Blizzard] This thread has been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.