How to fix Bastion

I think there are a few relatively simple changes that need to be made to get Bastion in a better place.

Recon Mode:

Bastion needs to be of value in any configuration. Turret mode isn’t a normal ability in that it can’t be used in addition to his normal kit. It’s one or the other. Right now in Recon Mode, Bastion is just a worse version of Soldier 76.

1. Bastion Can Reload While Using Self-Repair.
This change could be a huge boost to his effectiveness in Recon Mode. Right now, after emptying his first magazine, he’s often stuck healing, then reloading, then having to heal some more, and never getting to shoot again. The same change could be applied to his Turret Mode as well depending on how it meshes with other changes, but I think it’s probably the best option for beefing up his Recon Mode. It would likely improve both his damage output and survival rate.

2. Decrease Bastion’s Recon Mode reload time to 1.5 seconds or add 10-15 ammo.
While this is a small change, I do think this would be an improvement. Given his size,the focus he draws from enemies, and his complete lack of escape, Bastion needs to be dangerous in any configuration. Without the ability to repel enemies with damage pressure, he’s dead meat (I mean circuits).

Sentry Mode (Turret):

Turret Mode is Bastion's big weakness. In that mode he has no mobility whatsoever which makes him a very large sitting duck that draws a lot of aggro. Yes, he can have his team defend him to some degree, but often the benefit his Turret Mode grants is not worth the effort that requires.

1. Reduce Spread in Turret Mode.
Turret mode is supposed to be a trade-off: sacrifice mobility for damage. But the damage can be underwhelming at range or on small targets. In fact, in many scenarios he’s capable of more damage in recon mode. Right now turret mode is a high risk move that often carries no reward. He should not have pinpoint accuracy, but he needs to be able to apply pressure to characters with small hitboxes. Several of the healers, which are often the most important characters to kill, are very difficult for Bastion to deal with at medium-long range.

4 Likes

Second one is preety pointless and weird without the first. But great ideas.

1 Like

Thanks, I think you’re probably right about the headshots. I think I’ll remove it.

I don’t think giving Sentry mode mobility would be great. I’d rather have more access to Tank mode for mobility. Use Tank to get into a good spot, then Sentry to do some damage. After you’re done, or if you’re spotted, use Tank to escape.

Do decrease the spread in Sentry mode though, it feels very frustrating to use on smaller targets. I really wish Bastion had Hammond’s spread…

Tank mode is an ultimate. How do you give him ready access to it without making him totally OP?

I’ve made a thread about it you can read if you want. In-depth "Tank on E" rework for Bastion

Basically reduce the damage to 120, and it drops to 75 beyond 40 meters or so (Alternatively, just set it to a constant 90 or so. That will 2 shot Tracer and Zero Suit D.va, and 3 shot everything up to Mei/Reaper/Brigitte). Limit the ammo to 3, make it recharge like Doomfist’s gun at 1 shell per 2 seconds. Remove self damage. Reduce transform time to 1 second.

My idea is we can make tank mode its regular mode. Nerf the damage to 100 or 120. Then give bastion a new ultimate.
Currently bastion is either crouching behind a barrier or sneaking to find someplace to config into sentry mode. They should make bastion useful when moving. Buff the recon mode damage and nerf the sentry mode damage done upon heroes.

I like the changes to his recon!..But as for sentry, it seems a bit tacky for his tool kit.

I know I’ve said this in multiple bastion threads, but he needs his shield back

As a Bastion main, i like everything here! :smiley_cat: Except for the “Escape Tool”…

Ya see, Bastion has a Very Different intended playstyle from most heroes… He’s not a “Get in, get out” Kind of hero.

He’s a “Hold my ground, or peel with the team” Kind of hero.

He’s supposed to act as the biggest damage possible when being attacked from the front, acting as a literal defense to any and all area’s where he’s allowed to set up.

Which is why i actually Liked The original longer setup times, since it further impacted the high risk high reward playstyle…

If you DID Get setup without being punished for it, you essentially had proper area denial.
(Depending on the player’s skill, of course.)

Yeah. That is also what I think. When the game came out, they made many defense heroes extremely powerful under some circumstances and garbage under the others. Now they have to fix bastion’s vulnerability when it’s moving.

1 Like

I don’t think an actual nerf to his Sentry mode damage would be a good idea, he already struggles to kill smaller targets (and even some larger ones) at medium range, I don’t think making that even harder would be good. I would be fine with reduced damage if it also came with reduced spread and headshots. Allow a slightly higher DPS than he currently has, but only if the player can get like 40% headshot accuracy… I hate to post so many links to my own thread, but here’s an example of that too… Public opinion on a small Bastion buff . It’s also in the “balance nerfs” section of that other link, but this one explains it a bit more… Reduce the damage by 3, add headshots, lower spread.

1 Like

Maybe nerfing the sentry mode damage on heroes is not necessary.
I was thinking bastion should count on tank mode to hit enemies far off. Maybe tank mode would even be able to disrupt widow like hanzo does.

1 Like

That is definitely a concern, yeah… I wouldn’t want him to be a reliable counter-sniper to Hanzo/Widow… That’s where the damage falloff for tank comes in on the other rework. Or just have it as a flat 90, they both do roughly the same, thing. The 90 damage with no falloff is easier to heal off though, which is fine, because Tank is more for burst damage and rocket jumping than killing. It can finish someone off if they’re fairly low, but it can’t do all too much on a full health target.

If a Bastion has a Mercy damage boost and a Zen orb on a Tracer or Zero Suit D.va, he can one shot them, but that requires a fair bit of coordination, and hitting those small targets isn’t easy…

Oh, oops, read that wrong… You wanted him to use Tank for long range… Yeah, he should be able to force them to move, but not easily kill them at long ranges… If a Widow takes 90 damage from a tank shell, she’s gonna move, you don’t really want to stick around for another 90…

While I do think it would be interesting to be able to use tank more, I think my suggestions are much easier to program and more likely to be implemented. I mad some changes to the OP and my suggestions if you want to check them out.

Yeah, they’d definitely be easier to code, but Blizz seems to be pretty intent on reworks for f-tier heroes… If they do plan on reworking him, I just want to give them some ideas to work with that the community likes (Well, the Bastion mains anyway, not too many other people have commented on them… a pretty good portion of the Bastion mains anyway…) so they don’t work on things for a long time like they’re doing with Torb, and they have a clear goal from the start.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by #1 for the Recon changes. Are you saying that he can reload his gun while repairing, or that repairing slowly refills his ammo too?

He reloads while repairing and the minimum repair time is now the same as reload time. Allowing him to multitask this when he’s getting pursued would be a huge boost.

Not sure if I like that one… I like the idea of allowing him to multitask, what with him being a computer and all, but I wouldn’t want forced multitasking… I use repair for small things a lot, like taking a couple shots, and wanting to heal that up. If he was forced to repair for 2 seconds (the reload time for both weapons), then I’d waste half of my meter repairing 20 damage…

But those times aren’t nearly as important as when you are getting dived and running away. In those times you use a mag, then reload, then stop reloading to heal, then you die before you can shoot again. Yes, Bastion has a lot of health and a self-heal but he’s also has a big hitbox, draws focus, and has no escape. Without the ability to do damage to pressure people off of him, he’s dead. This allows him to keep up the pressure while also increasing his sustain.

Also, in the times you are describing, you will have time to regen some heal resource before you need to use it again.

Yeah, but I mean, why not just allow him to reload and repair at the same time? They’re different arms, I never really understood why he can only do one at a time…

I just think that forcing the player to use half of their resource would feel kinda clunky…

That’s fine too really. I also think he should reload in recon faster. Maybe 1.5 seconds.