How to edit scripts in the current state of Overwatch 2

As you can tell, the workshop does exist in Overwatch 2, albeit some broken elements right now, like “Create HUD Text” which is a very widely used action that will likely get fixed soon or down the road. But most of it still works fine.

There was an official post saying that you cannot use the in-game UI to edit workshop scripts and that the team was still working on the UI and that it was going to be released in a later update.

HOWEVER, this does not mean it is impossible to use or edit scripts right now. If you didn’t know this, when you create a lobby, in the settings on the right side, there is an option to “Copy settings”. On PC, this will copy all the lobby settings AND the workshop script code to your clipboard. Meaning, you can still edit your scripts if you were to use a program like Notepad++ or just any text editor of your choosing. This is more of an advanced way to edit your scripts and many of the bigger modes that people develop with probably use this method anyways.

Once you have your script edited, simply copy the text again, and in-game another option should appear that is orange saying to “import settings”. If you messed up anywhere in your code as it is generally sensitive, it should throw an error in the chat box trying to give you a rough idea on where it THINKS your error is at, usually with the line number included. It’s not always accurate where it throws the errors, but it’s pretty good at it. This type of scripting will require more 1 on 1 comparisons of what is right in given examples of what the game is looking for, and what your script is. A lot of mistakes really ends up being really simple things like a comma “,” or a semicolon to specify the end of an action “;” or maybe it requires a simple “NULL” somewhere for a function it’s looking for that you don’t actually use.

This is for the current state of workshop and a more advanced way to edit things in general. I do not believe this is possible to do and edit text on console so those users will have to wait. But for PC, this is your only method for now. If you cannot understand what is happening, it could help to try and look up guides, but it may be best to wait until Blizzard officially releases the rest of the Workshop UI as it is definitely a more user friendly experience.

11 Likes

You are a lifesaver ty

An extra note in-case you run into problems importing, if you get a message in the chat saying “SUCCESS” but nothing actually seems like it changed, it seems to really not like maps like “workshop expanse night”. So instead to get around this, look at the text you copied near the top of the list, it should say “enabled maps” and remove all the maps and add a simple map such as the non-night workshop expanse as “Workshop Expanse 0”

{
			enabled maps
			{
				Workshop Expanse 0
			}
		}

Then add the maps you actually want with the in-game UI after importing. That would be the work around for now.

4 Likes

You’re a legend frfr

Another update: even though expanse night is back and loads properly again, it STILL does not like being imported.

Also HUDS are back, since the last patch, but they seem larger and will do a weird text centering even on the left and right sides when they shouldn’t.

Dummy Bots can now say “hello” and “goodbye” but no other voiceline, and you cannot force any player to do any voiceline / emote, and neither does any condition work at all to check if someone is using a voiceline or emote.

The amount of resources each custom game server gets is def less than what it used to be in ow 1, in terms of CPU load, etc. This could be caused by the fact that there are a lot of games and matches running, quick play, custom games etc. so they naturally lower the amount of resources each custom game gets to help with the stressed loads, but this sadly causes some of the more heavy scripts to crash way more often then they used to. Most game modes aren’t so heavy so it’s usually fine for them.

(would be cool if we could have adjustable tick rates maybe in the future, but ofc that’s only if the engine is built around that but options already exist to lower client / server send rate, so I mean why not let us adjust it on the server itself, to help lower some server loads as most customs probably don’t need to be running at the full 63 or so tick rate that every match does.)

1 Like

Seems like you’re pretty knowledgeable with the custom game scripts. Thanks for the information.

I was taking a look at the “Bastion Infinite Stairs” scripts, all of them actually [62TWS, wj5t2, 7R47P], because none seem to work right now… it’s not just slightly buggy the game won’t actually even start. You get like a weird camera angle from inside the floor, but you don’t actually spawn. I thought it may be an issue with spawns so I tried to add a Teleport event but that doesn’t seem to have helped. This is my first attempt to work with workshop game mods and scripts and thought maybe someone with a little more knowledge may know how to get the lobby to at least start.

Cameras aren’t supposed to work.
When trying to start one as a Player you’ll receive the message
“Feature Unavailable”
So all you can do is wait, and hope that cameras aren’t removed.

Can’t tell you why it’s working in the Script, didn’t go too much through it to know.

Shoot, that’s unfortunate. Thanks for the reply. This is basically my favorite past time between rounds. Hopefully they add this back for OW2 workshop!

1 Like

I have not seen any problems with cameras, so idk what Teawy is trying to say about that sorry but I really haven’t seen any problems.

But what is really happening with the “bastion stairs” is because, bastion has been disabled in the game everywhere lol, so when you try to load it, and try to force yourself to be bastion, it just doesn’t work because blizzard removed him from all game modes for whatever reason they didn’t at least keep him in customs. They are going to bring him back soon so these codes will work again soon.

Somewhere out there I remember seeing a dedicated workshop text editing program. Maybe on r/overwatchcustomgames? It was at the very least in production at some point. I’ve never used it so I can’t attest to its usefulness but it might be worth a look.

Thanks for this.

What if I am really dumb and a new to advanced editing for this? I never looked into it deeply, but I would love to make a decent custom game I want as the other options for what I am looking for seem to be horrendous for what I want.

Are there places I look up how to edit? Help!

Do you mean either one of these tools?

1. h t t p s://workshop.codes/editor

2. h t t p s://github.com/ItsDeltin/Overwatch-Script-To-Workshop

3. h t t p s://github.com/Zezombye/overpy

Remove the spaces within the httpses when copying the urls, the last two options require an external IDE program, the first is browser based.

1 Like