How to detect cheaters?

I already saw a few posts saying that the game is filled of cheats, but I wonder how can you recognize that someone is using cheats? I been playing almost every day and I never saw some kill cam where I could definitively say “Ok, this one is cheating”.

Sometimes I got killed by insane shots of Widow, like I’m moving, first widow aims like 1 meter next to me, and right before shooting she’s able to re-aim to my hitbox. But when I watch the game replay everything seems so legit that I can’t ever tell for sure that someone is cheating.

The only time where I reported someone for cheating was few months ago, where I saw an Hanzo that was able to instantly shoot me right after Blinking with Tracer (even if I tried to dive from his back, he just turned around and headshot right after a blink :s). I told in the chat the he may be cheating, he just laughed telling that he was a console player using Aim Assist.

There are people who point fingers at anyone doing better than them, because you’re obviously cheating if you’re outperforming the god of gaming.

2 Likes

All major games are infested with cheaters, we don’t know about the state of OW, but it is very unlikely that it is different for OW

How do I detect cheaters?
I play a lot of Sombra, you know with what you can get away, what the normal reaction time is, the aim and game awareness.
If a silver player shows very good aim, high reaction time, than you know he either can’t be a silver or he is cheating.
There can be small giveaways like short tracking through the wall, looking on the floor most of the game, but also movement types.
Good tracking when you are in the face or when a target flies over someone and you have to move in arc to track is rare at plat.
If I see that consistently than you have my suspicion

My quickplay range is usually around silver to plat.
Yes, it is heavily based on intuition, but that’s not a surprise cheating got incredibly sophisticated.
I get a thank you message for most of my reports

Edit: You see people shooting at one target in a group but then jump between targets, that’s not normal, people usually hard focus on one target and not jump senselessly between them

1 Like

The vast majority of cheaters are using a softlock aimbot in this game.

There’s a chunk of wallhack users but you won’t spot them unless they chase you around the map or stare thru walls on the replay.

The softlockers you will eventually start spotting.

Usually the poorest cheaters spam their softlock aimbot when they panic and/or simply don’t know what to shoot in an engagement. You’ll notice all manner of strange aim behaviours where people’s crosshairs bounce around onto some target. That’s the softlock bot.

The not so terrible players will only use it to secure kills at the end of an engagement when they’re struggling to land the finishing blow and they’ll be hard to spot.

If you play Pharah, Echo, a flying character, Sombra (invisible) or Wrecking Ball, you will spot softlockers panic hardlocking you just to secure a kill. If someone in QP has their aim glued to you with amazing tracking whilst you air dash as Pharah or make some odd parkour as Ball, you can spot the softlock aimbot easily.

I spot someone cheating nearly every single night I play, just from standard killcams which show blatant softlock snaps.

2 Likes

Don’t forget lucio, i play him as my main for support, and it can be real easy with the same logic jumping between walls over a targets head and speed boosting on walls, i like to jump off land and reverse with speed boost to dodge and you will see them arc with you along the wall but stay right on you as you do a full 180 movement then jump across a gap.

i have a feeling it got worse due to the last 2 seasons being dive meta, and so many people have issues with getting rushed so they turn them up to get kills.

No way to know completely, If i am sus i just report and let bliz figure it out, sometimes i am notified of actions taken other time i am not…

Like this video
htt ps://youtu.be/mha6F4dqalM?si=YKz0C0yYv6JVXb6F

i HAVE been noticing quite a bit lately. i played comp overnight a couple of days ago and had a BIG loss streak so i went to watch replays and yea… saw some sus stuff from some players, ranging from genji, mccree and soldier. also a lot of smurfs in the after midnight hours lol…seems like.

i dont think ill play after midnight again or if im just bored and brave

Bored Brave or intoxicated those are the only ways to play overnight.

1 Like

I mean, is that here an exemple of softlock or aim assist?

Usually I directly aim to someone and shoot, I do not adapt the aim just the moment before shoot

It doesn’t even matter anymore. Cheating is so prevalent and sophisticated that there is no way to ever be sure you are playing a legitimate match.

then it’s very convenient for us how few smurfs there are. oh, wait…

Smurfs are cheaters as well, i see the new account with god aim i report regardless.

1 Like

This can make some doubts also,
Before playing OW2, i played lot of other FPS games like COD, Counter Strike… because of that in the first games I had quite decent aim/reaction, specially with easy hitscans line Soldier

Haha, get owned smurfs
If you try to get an unfair advantage you are on the same level as a cheater and you deserve to get permabanned. No mercy

i do have this video from a week ago of a suspect sojourn player i recorded.

also have the replay code if further investigation. was kinda suspect most of the match and maybe walls?

replay is YMNE97

video is

3 Likes

Natural Aiming vs Un-natural aiming is discernible in replay cams.

• If the player is not making a linear motion to point their cross-hair at your character, and suddenly they insta-snap to you and the shot goes off at the same time the cross hair connects to the Hitbox of your “puppet” (as they call it). that is a discernible cheat.

Flick shots look similar, except you will always see “over-aim”. While an aimbot you will not.

the next thing is looking at the precision of the player’s inputs. If they are always nearly the same. its fairly safe to say something may be suspicious.

1 Like

That is a REALLY good video of someone cheating!

1 ) Shows someone tracking someone that they could not see through the wall.

2 ) Using an “aim toggle” and “toggle tracking”.

1 Like

If you can’t tell they’re cheating, that means they probably don’t.

Aimbotting and wallhacking is quite easy to spot with kill cams.

i have a couple of other older videos of suspect play (both a month ago). one from a tank

https://youtu.be/t18Ji6bocpw?si=441VNUPXfUvRmY-0’ short version
https://youtu.be/THi1C_7HDXk?si=f_KnEaWD7Fpir83h’ long version

and an illari hacker
https://youtu.be/CebmS2nxL84?si=U-sx8HFYFBNCg-ZQ’ long version

1 Like

You have people who actually aim decently but have the awareness and the reaction time of a potato, hence why they are a low ranking player
Lets look at the triangle: Reaction time, aim and awareness/game sense
Silver and below: At least two of them are sub par
On Gold, they are usually equally “good”
Plat: One gets stronger
Diamond all are getting decently good and consistent
(there always outliers, performance can shift from day to day, but overall it’s mostly applicable and all of this oversimplified)

Cheating detection is a guess game and we see rarely hard lock on. Sometimes you do, especially during a Genji deflect. Looks always funny if they perfectly deflect everything back to each singular shooter, but most of it is more comparable to aim assist.
The goal is not to be a “GM Player” but just to be good enough to get an advantage. In quick with such a wide skill range and many private profiles, it is even more difficult