How to counter a good widow in a 6 stack without having one yourself?

Both of those become ineffective against a good Widow if she is at sniper range.

Good Widows want 2 things - Sight line and distance. More on Sight lines.

Soldier can’t beat a Widow that is far away. Halt is a slow projectile and Helix rockets is a faster projectile, ultimately they are projectiles.

It’s not an effective counter; because, it’s so easy for the Widow to survive and quickly get back into the fight.

Well you’re right. About orisa. I feel soldier is better than mccree at being her counter. So if you agree about mccree and not the soldier then…

Mecree is as bad. He has damage fall off, so at range he is similar to Soldier.

With that said, his damage will be more consistent at a range than Soldier and Osira. So if he can get like 4, 5, 7 shots on the Widow; then, he can kill her. That’s a lot of shots on a small target from a long range though.

1 Like

4, 5, 7? How do you calculate. Lol. 2, 3 heads shot and she’s dead.
With soldier, a quater clip and a helix rocket.
Orisa, don’t count. Just pull her in and open fire.

I don’t know. I’m more afraid of Hanzo than widows.

Mcrees buffs will help him be more valuable at rang, but now youre taking into account headshots from one end of the road on 2nd point dorado to the other and no mcree, not even Pine could pull that off.

Again, damage fall off and distance.

Soldier has spread, at long range he will hit very little bullets. Even when managing the spread. Helix is a ability. He can’t spam it. It’s easy for the Widow to fallback and heal if her team is nearby.

Mecree has damage fall off. Headshot on squishies at sniper range? Unlikely except at top tier. That’s like less than 5% of the Game’s player base. Source - Competitive Mode Tier Distribution

1 Like

You forgot about Mei with her falloff removed

still a projectile that takes a second to spin up. not to mention mei is so Niche, you wouldnt really be in that position to often lol

DVA + Rein or Harambe + Rein

I don’t know. I’ve never had problems killing her with soldier. And obviously she’s not gonna be right next to me.
Like I said, she plays far in the back line. She takes advantage of you being bust fighting her other teammates and not focusing on her. Once you can see her, she’s not much of a problem

DVA + Winston may work better. A widow can take out half+ of Winston’s health before he lands. DVA can defense matrix him in.

In otherwords, go with Dive comp. Comp that counters Widow.
If comp can’t work; then, yea. Winston has more pick potential; but, it will be harder at longer ranges and depending on map.

DVa will be able to contest more easily; but, may struggle to get the pick alone.

You’re in gold. “Good Widows” would be in the higher ranks.

There are some good Widows in Gold; but, you can’t compare them with Widows that know how to stay alive and hit shots.

Did you just list soldier, reaper and orisa as Widow counters?
I guess gold widows must be awful and even more so if it’s console.

1 Like

Easiest is with orisa. Set up shield, widow isnt enough damage to break, shoot at general direction to where widow is she will move/retreat. Keep doing until she gets frustrated and switches off

I’m not in gold because I suck. I’m not gold because ever since I’ve moved back to Nigeria in Africa, I’ve been having issues. I hit diamond while I was in UK. I’ve had my fair share of widows.

Play your sight lines right or a dive comp.

I was kinda struggling vs a good Widow yesterday. I was playing damage for my six stack (I’m pretty bad at tank, kinda passable as support) and a Widow was just shutting us down. We pulled through eventually by just bunkering on 2CP but I’m wondering what I should learn to counter her. Does it make sense to try to gain competency at Widow just to counter her? My tank players aren’t as comfortable with dive tanks.

I get that alot the problem with bunkering is it is quite map specific and if they run widow along with something like pharah or junk and rein and zarya it is very hard to run or if there is alot of flanking routes and once you lose a squishy or two they will grind out the fight win, not to mention you are grouped up for the enemy to hit a good ult on you, even if the widow does not achieve much kill wise the value she gets from restricting the movements of an entire team and enabling her team is undeniable.

As Reaper I kill a lot of Widows.

Dive requires alot of coordination to pull off even in a LFG 6 stack and your players may not have the experience and skill on the heroes required to pull it off, whereas all widow has to do is get her pocket mercy to heal her as she grapples away, even worse often she is sniping so far back that you need to push forward usually past a spamming junk or pharah just to reach her and by that time you usually have lost a player.