How to allocate more ram to overwatch

Title

1 Like

Just curious - what are you attempting to do here? OW will consume all the RAM it needs assuming you have sufficient RAM to start. The only settings I can think of that might make it take more would be the Reduced streaming setting…

2 Likes

I was just wondering if my ow was using efficient ram. I have 16 gigs of ram but I’m not sure how much ow is using.

Close your Chrome browser

9 Likes

I think it automatically allocates the appropriate amount of RAM when you play it

It won’t use much beyond 4 GB if that, I have it up now on Paris, takes about 2.5 GB with the launcher.

Are u having problems?. Usually the OS and game decides it automatically. So u don’t have to allocate anything.

Disable unnecessary process and u disable some of the services you can read it here -

theres a thing called task manager…

1 Like

I know… but how do I see how much ram is being used in task manager?

you click on it, processes, find Overwatch the look to the right where it says “Memory” and should give you a value and %

also you cant allocate more ram it happens automatically

2 Likes

You don’t need to worry. You have far more memory than Overwatch will ever need.

Press ctrl + alt + delete.
Click on “task manager”
Click on “more details”, else you don’t and you will see “less details”
Click tab “performance”
Click on “Memory” to see there details.

i have a question, i only have 8ram, does blizzard automatically put 8 or do i have to do it manually

Me too buddy, me too.

It doesn’t use more than 3,5 GB no matter how much more you have and it doesn’t need to use more if everything that is already loaded.

Also don’t necro old threads.

Ah so we’ve evolved from asking how to allocate more RAM to minecraft

If OW would take up all 8 gb of your memory your pc would stop functioning.

There’s tens/hundreds of background OS processes that require at least some cpu time / memory to make your pc function correctly.

For example if you use a bluetooth mouse or keyboard there’s a couple of services responsible for handling that.
If you need web connectivity(you do) there’s a couple of services responsible for it.

If you like having a GUI(Graphical user interface) and not just type in commands on a command line there’s services needed for that.

Then there’s drivers to make all your hardware function properly if at all.

All in all, usually your OS will need at least 2 GB available to it to function in a timely fashion

It might function with less but your performance will drop like a rock the lower it goes.

haha

You don’t. It’s automatic.

Chrome will use ALL available system memory and a lot of your pagefile.

If you’re reluctant to “lose all your tabs” you can have Chrome save all your tabs and re-open them with all the histories of each tab as if Chrome had crashed. You need to go into:

• Settings
  • Scroll all the way down to the bottom
  • under “On Start-up” there are THREE (3) tick boxes
  • Select the tick box for “continue where you left off”.

Chrome will still be purged from your memory when closed but will then re-open eveerything exactly where you left it when you re-open chrome.

There’s probably the same thing for other browsers like Firefox, IDK.