How often do I water a strawberry plant?

We have a garden in the front and we bought a strawberry plant in a pot that we hang on top of the roof behind the garden in the shade. My question is how often should I water it and should it always be in the shade?

7 Likes

What climate do you live in?

If it’s especially hot, take it out of the light at extremely high temperatures (I think 40 degrees Celsius is too high)

If it’s moderate, all day should be fine. Water daily if its not getting any rainwater, probably more than once daily.

1 Like

I live in Texas and it’s about to be summer, its always in the shade since it’s hanging on the roof. Also how wet should the soil be? Should It be moist or pretty wet?

1 Like

I’m no gardener but it will need some sort of sunlight since it needs to photosynthesize. As a last resort you could probably put it in a mini-green house.

As for soil wetness, while you need to water a plant, overwatering it will actually “suffocate” the plant. Since plants take up minerals/water/oxygen from their roots, and of course oxygen can’t dissolve in soil, it takes it from air pockets. (That’s also why you till soil)

Moist, but not all of the time in short. Also make sure you’re not covering the bottom of the pot with things that could prevent air from reaching the soil.

2 Likes

Strawberry plants are OP. They just sit there in sunlight and take 1-2 inches of water daily.

1 Like

i think the devs should reconsider its abilities. I mean what should I do when it reaches summer time, do I take it out of the sun or what?

2 Likes

You should definitely make sure it’s getting some sunlight, but since you live in Texas, all day isn’t optimal. Try to put it in the sun during the mornings and evenings when it isn’t as hot. In my experience, strawberry plants need about 1 to 2 inches of water daily, maybe a bit more to account for the hotter weather. When the weather gets bad, check how moist the soil is, and if it’s really dry then feel free to water it more. Remember to take the rain levels into account.

But yes, summer weather is a pretty hard counter to strawberry plants. It could probably use a buff or two considering how bad the heat is getting.

1 Like

Jelly is in love with this thread😂

6 Likes

just water it every know and then

1 Like

Strawberries need a ton of water to grow well - at least 30-50mm per week. Out of all the plants I have in the garden, strawberries by far need the most. You don’t want the soil pooling water, but it definitely needs to be kept extremely moist. Strawberries want a lot of sun if you want good sized berries.

1 Like

You need to water them often, they have very shallow roots.

Oh, and don’t let them get on the forum, salt kills them.

2 Likes

I haven’t watered it well in a day and a half. Will it be okay?

1 Like

Yes, most likely. As long as you water it normally again it should be fine ^^

It will be fine :slight_smile:

I water mine twice a day, just before I head out to work, and when I get back.

But I have gone on 2 week holidays, and while they looked pretty sad when I returned (I’m sorry little strawberry plants!!) , they were fine.

2 Likes

Thanks, I almost got teary eyed. I can’t let my baby die.

6 Likes