How much does it take for reports to expire?

They make Blizzard money. Everything is about money.

1 Like

Ah right, better count money instead of apply the code of conduct like is applied to everyone else here.

Maybe if they punish toxic streamers too they will start to give a good example.

1 Like

You would need to accumulate many reports to get a warning. I mean; I use sassy comments and sometimes flame others and sometimes play a suboptimal hero and haven’t yet accumulated enough reports to get a warning.

You must be doing something more. So either you are waaay too toxic or derailing the game by not healing or something.

Regardless, a warning is just a warning. No one here knows how long your account is flagged only Blizzard has those numbers.

1 Like

Honestly the way everyone is piling on this guy because an MVP said something is crazy.

It’s been well known for years that the report system is fully automated and a human only becomes involved during the appeal stage.

People have proven this by making new accounts, not playing any matches and getting people to mass report that account. Successfully leading to suspensions.

Why exactly are people acting like they dont remember the absolute firestorm of posts on these very forums about how ridiculous the system is? It wasn’t even that long ago.

I get that he’s being unpleasant but…ugh.

6 Likes

since I rarely talk, and time ago when I got the orange message the last time I NEVER talked, I know for a fact that what you are saying is false. I also know that “playing games appropriately” (whatever you mean by that, you probably think I jump off the map or something, yeah I don’t). doesn’t let reports decay, time does. Again I know this for a fact no matter how much you guys at Blizzard might wanna sugarcoat your broken, automated, awful, weaponized report system.

For sure, even in the games I was “snarky” (I wouldn’t go as far as calling my behavior toxic, you should know people abuse the report system though it’s been known for years now), I AM NOT SNARKY/TOXIC EVERY GAME so I sincerely doubt that the multiple reports accumulated from my bad behavior or something like that as your post implies.

it has been confirmed by Customer Support to me already that decay of reports is time-based. Not sure why you’d try to muddy the waters.

the report system is fully automated until the appeal action, which is also often (but not always) automated.

yeah I doubt that since today I played like 10 games and was “toxic”, if you wanna call it that, in like 2. Let’s assume 2x5 = 10 reports, which is the maximum I could have gotten, I doubt that’s enough to get the warning with 8 games where I was positive or silent.

I sincerely doubt this since when this incident occurred they didn’t have Replay system in place yet and Blizzard didn’t keep logs so the “proof” Blizzard used to punish the 1 tricks were the words written in the report form, which could have been lies. You know it and I know it.

funny you’d say that, time ago I got the warning after a period spent deliberately avoiding chat where I talked exactly 2 times in… let’s say 1 month and 1/2.

Also while this is kinda unofficial, some sourced told me and I tried this myself firsthand that if all 11 people in the lobby report you, that’s instaban regardless of what you say (you could be going with a 5 stack and 6 stack in enemy team… if they all report you unlucky, 1 month ban).

2 Likes

What matters is this, if you see that warning, something is wrong with your behavior and it is now risking you to get in further trouble. The warning is exactly that… a warning. Carefully think about what you are doing that could make other players upset and see if there is behavior that can be changed. Note, some players will get upset and report others regardless, but as a player of over 4 years, I would have been actioned by now with my known behavior. For example, I typically pick Pharah in many of my Competitive matches and often don’t switch if the opponents start to bring in hitscans, I only switch when I decide my Pharah is not working. Quite honestly I am rather a one-trick Pharah and it does make some teammates upset, but its how I like to play, and I have never even come close to a warning. I am very confident the report system is working to identify and stop consistent disruptive behavior. If you are actioned (which right now you are not actioned yet obviously), I promise you it will be due to consistently disruptive behavior.

Once again, as a MVP I talk with Customer Service quite frequently. Once again, what matters is this, if you are consistently disruptive, you will be actioned.

“Toxic” is a very ambiguous term and I avoid it. More likely your warning stems from multiple matches across multiple days, but only you can evaluate your behavior across multiple days.

The report system has been in place for PC players since game launch, and for consoles well before this community manager response was made. Trust me I document everything the developers have said. I do this for the community and to keep Blizzard accountable just as I want the community to be accountable for their own actions.

In the end, what is important for you GiantDwarf, is that you have seen the warning. I must imply that you are not in trouble yet, but all you need to do is simply provide a positive experience for your teammates.

Play Fair, Play Nice

4 Likes

not… finding anything on google for this… little help? I mean two people have posted this but I’m having trouble finding any correlating evidence which is kinda weird? You’d think this would be kind of a big story.

3 Likes

That’s because Blizzard removes it and bans them.

1 Like

… on all of the internet?
I’m not searching the overwatch forums here yo.

1 Like

I read about Overwatch here. Don’t know if they posted it “on the internet” outside of here.

But yes, they can request things removed from other sources like Reddit as well.

So you mistrust the system, bag on the integrity of the MVP, and say that the company outright lies about things…

but get all your overwatch news and facts from the official forum?

If someone got banned from this game and never played a single match, there should be a post somewhere saying something about it. It’d be huge news. There’s posts outlining the “tests” people have done by having friends report them, posts showing people toeing lines on one-tricking and abuse…

but nothing I can find on being banned without actually playing the game on any message board or community.

2 Likes

I’m only curious about this, saw the post there’s no explanation of what he is doing wrong other than saying he didn’t comply to teammates asking for swap which is basically saying he isn’t allowed to otp.

Also do they have replay codes of matches to review it.

yeah, there is nothing I am doing wrong. Ty for the moral lecturing but I don’t think my behavior needs changing. The automated report system you are defending, however, most definitely does.

it really comes down to how often you play, how much you like to do comms and propose strategies as opposed to play the game in silence, what role you play and in what SR and in what region. All of these things influence # of reports per game.

good for you but anecdotal evidence is not what I am looking for.

many of my friends, few of them GM/top 500 disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinion of course. Most reputable players disagree with you that the report system is working. In GM there is also a Discord group used to mass report people you want out of GM/banned after inting their games and blaming them, because… the report system is automated.

my behavior is fine. Unless for you stuff like pressing “I need healing” 3x in a row when you are say Widowmaker and a Pharah is diving you to make sure that supports notice you fast is toxic. I am sure people report for that, but I’m not sure that’s a valid report as opposed to a false report. Asking my Hog (politely) to not flank every life in defense is also not being toxic or snarky, but actually wanting to have a positive experience as opposed to wasting 20 minutes (mine and his), but again I’m sure I got reported for that also.

ty for your words, I am not sure why you’re defending a broken report system, and I don’t have too much interest in “winning a debate” over you, so from my side I will drop it. But the report system is broken, weaponized and abusive. If you wanna change the community, end toxicity and gain respect as a company, rework your broken automated report system. You don’t have to agree with me publicly, just think about it. Numerous solutions have been proposed such as for example even a peer-review system preceding a final Blizzard-sanctioned decision.

there are posts and youtube videos about it, look them up. Not sure if you expected that stuff to go on New York Times, but it’s quite public information otherwise.

search harder, there is a guy on youtube who has 100 accounts and used them to selectively ban people he disliked as an experiment after adding them (he added 1 person with 100 accounts and filed a report from each which resulted in a ban for that account).

the decision to action against 1 tricks was just so that the rampant 1 tricking that was going on at the time, especially with exploitable heroes like Torb and Sym would stop. There was never a review of evidence (because Blizzard didn’t keep any evidence at that time other than chat logs, no gameplay save files, no voice logs, so it’s impossible to say whether someone was throwing or not through chat logs alone), and Blizzard was very quick to back up on the decision of banning 1 tricks after realizing that if they upheld such ban policy, a lot of people would quit (many people love to 1 trick, particularly heroes like Dva, Mercy, Genji, Torbjorn and more). So having no choice because they need money, Blizzard endorsed 1 tricking and hasn’t banned for Sabotage since (though nowadays the Sabotage report system is automated so enough reports = ban much like Abusive Chat).

They key thing I want you to take home is that no evidence was reviewed other than what people who reported for Sabotage wrote in the report form (which could be false). I could report a Quickplay Mercy main called Luna for example for Sabotage and write “she rezed me inside the enemy team”, but whether that’s sabotage or true to begin with, Blizzard can’t know.

1 Like

Holy crap looking at your replies, you deserve that warning. You seem like one of the worst types of people to be around.

3 Likes

Link me one please. Can’t find any. Sarcasm aside I understand this isn’t front page news, but it’s likely something that would be VERY interesting to the overwatch community and widely shared.

“there’s a guy”… Can you give me a video title at least?

“you can get banned without ever playing” is a huge accusation to have NO easily found results.

1 Like

It was years ago now and cant find it myself but do remember reading it on Reddit, I believe.

I did find a few about popular streamers creating a custom matches and getting their viewers to mass report them to try to prove that the system was automated though. They always got suspended but I do concede that they wouldnt be new accounts. I’m not going to post the links on here in case the mods get trigger happy though.

Really though it comes back to how weird it is that people in here seem to have suddenly forgotten how the forums were flooded with posts about this a couple of years ago.

The system was definitely, 100%, fully automated despite Blizzard saying otherwise. It resulted in one tricks getting mass reported and mass banned. Given that doesn’t seem to be as common anymore it may be that Blizzard changed something in response (or most 1 tricks gave up and quit). It’s no wonder people dont believe the “official” responses shown in this thread. Why would we?

5 Likes

also, look up “Arrge banned 5th time” on YT. Now I don’t watch Arrge often, but he is… peculiar, and from what I know he never even talks in VC, let alone use toxic language.

In GM+, being suspended/banned for bad hero pool, poor performance & similar is pretty common. It’s always Abusive Chat, the category that gets you banned easiest and that is hardest to appeal.

EVEN IF you got a CS rep kind enough to read a few reports, they would falsely say “said X in voice,” the rep would have no voice logs to confirm it, and would uphold the ban.

yes I know, they actually believe the messages that people write in the report form, pretty much 1-2x times you get “was racist in VC” written falsely and chances of being unbanned are 0.

@Krotoan: look up on Youtube " How to Get ANYONE Falsely Banned from Overwatch (please fix Blizzard)" that’s the original video that I found most interesting, you can watch all videos by that guy pretty much.

Found it. Thank you. Am still dubious but now I understand the source.

There’s like one thread on reddit about the video poster and it’s not particularly flattering… I uh… can guess why it’s not there anymore.

I personally think the ban system is completely automated up until appeal… so I don’t need to, but thank you.

Have… I’m coloring it with how much this guy seems to hate on OW though and his suggestions of a protest by reporting everyone ever aren’t particularly constructive either.

Either way thanks for the info.

1 Like