How Mercy SHOULD have been Nerfed. (From a Master Mercy Player)

The change from 50 to 60 healing was poor and disrespectful because it made her borderline unviable in most situations.

Instead of a flat healing reduction, her Guardian Angel ability should have been increased from 1.5 to 3 seconds. Why? Because her infinite mobility is the actual problem with her.

With this nerf, her skill cap will be increased significantly without lowering her effectiveness by any considerable means. She will still be the most mobile healer in the game. This nerf of her GA from 1.5 to 3 will separate the Mercy’s that know how to mechanically utilize Guardian Angel and punish less skilled players that just spam it endlessly and still avoid most dangerous situations.

Im confident with these changes, she will still be as effective as she was before but just require much more mechanical coordination and skill to play effectively.

6 Likes

Ok look. People have said these after every nerf (not really the same exact way but you get me):
Why? Because her infinitely good healing is the actual problem with her.
Why? Because her infinitely OP valk is the actual problem with her.
Why? Because her infinitely OP res is the actual problem with her.
Why? Because her rework is the actual problem with her.

Honestly I don’t think there is more rooms for nerfs to her. Any nerfs are gonna make her even worse than she is (she is now the 3rd of the worst characters in the entire roster).

What I think is they should either go for a new rework, but then they might make her OP again so I would say revert her to the throw pick she was in season 3 and then start making changes like nerfs to rez/healing or add and E ability if possible. I think most of the playerbase will be satisfied with “dead but fun” mercy rather than the current mess we have

22 Likes

no one cares. mercy being a must pick to thr extent that people would scream for her before games in spawn room, and tilt like mad if no one picked her. it ruined the game for months. good riddance to the must pick, the variety of healers being viable now is amazing fun.

i mean except for bitter mercy mains

3 Likes

I think they should center her around her Rez being her reason to be chosen. Keep her healing moderate and consistent but buff her Rez so it’s not so static ie: on a long cooldown.

Hmm the large amount of forum activity from mercy and non mercy players disagree with you. I also don’t get why people act like the mercy player base asked for the rework then went to the Devs personally and made those bad design changes…

5 Likes

What? Mercy wasn’t a must pick because “omg OP ability guardian angel”. She was picked because every 30 seconds she could ressurect a teammate and before that she could also rez 2 teammates instantly when she was in Valkyrie. Nobody ever said that Mercy was a must pick because of her mobility. She had one buff to it that she could glide past a temmate, but that was a bug beforehand so they fixed it and included the extra duration into the cooldown.

6 Likes

incorrrect. most of the player base are just glad to see less of her.

2 Likes

You are… proving my point??? If she is dead, but fun the only people having/wanting to play her will be the mercy mains…

1. She doesn’t have good healing. She has consistent healing.
  2. Valkyrie isn’t infinite, nor op compared to other ults.
  3. Rez CAN be op, but many times it can be useless. It’s a “coin flip” effect.
  4. Her rework is much healthier than 1.0, it just needs tweaking in the right places rather then flat nerfs that make her unviable.

Like I said, reverting the healing nerf and increasing her GA cooldown from 1.5 to 3 will make players actually THINK before using it.

I’m a Master level mercy main, you have no credibility bro.

During 1.0 she never was an OPAF must-pick and viable at best. Her rework killed any other sup for almost a year and you say it is healthier. I dont think you know what healthy means.
Breaking the game and hero forcing a meta around her self is in no way healthy. Now being and underpowered trollpick once again also isnt good balance at all. The tweaks would have been needed before this awful rework. Old Mercy was better balanced then valk Mercy could ever be. They should have sticked with that and try tweaking and adjusting her further.

Nice some rank shaming and talking down to others if that isnt a nice way to discuss and engage with people…

Should I now ask some GM Mercy mains in here to tell you how wrong and disrespectful you are?

4 Likes

Her GA is actually 1,5 seconds by the way…

Indeed.

Firstly, it isn’t infinite mobility if GA has a static CD and secondly, no. Her GA has never been an issue, ever. The only issue we’re dealing with right now is Resurrect on E.

No. It’s just a nerf. It doesn’t increase her skill cap at all. That’s like saying nerfing Widow’s scope damage will increase her skill cap.

Ok, then don’t nerf her mobility?

Or it will just be an unneccessary both that will make Mercy even more tedious to play.

~ Someones who has over 400 hours on Mercy and has consistently been in GM since season 3

3 Likes

GA is not her problem, it’s a limited ability with more requirements than any other mobility ability in the game. Ez Rez combined with Valk Chains are her problems. They drain the enjoyability, power, and skill ceiling from her kit and need to be reevaluated before more changes are made.

4 Likes

Resurrecting up to 5 players is not healthy at all. Resetting an entire team fight is poor game design and should not be something players can do, unless you are a developer using console commands lol.

And of course, character MAINS, especially higher elo ones are more valuable opinions/feedback than non players. No offense whatsoever .

Hi. Don’t touch GA, unless you secretly hate her, its not where her issue lies, I’ve never in over 500 hours on Mercy had anyone ever complain about how hard it is to hit me using GA, it’s completely team reliant and even then your own team can cause it to accidentally backfire (stops short or you go backwards) you move ( for the most part) in a predictable motion, it’s not what needs looked at
The only variant to GA is bunny hop and that still requires you to rely on your team
3s is entirely too much

1 Like

Also, why should Mercy’s GA have a longer CD than Tracer’s blink when she’s also limited by range and LoS of her teammates? Just like Tracer Mercy is highly dependent on her movement to do the most basic aspect of her kit. Not to mention Mercy’s lack of self defense makes it essential for her to be on the move to not be easy prey or demand a “baby sitter”.

It could be 2 seconds CD, but certainly not more.

3 Likes

She needs a higher skill ceiling before she gets buffed

No. Just no. Nerfing GA would leave her even more useless in higher ranks. She needs the 2 second cooldown to escape from flankers with a lot of mobility. Nerfing this wouldn’t make her more skill rquiering, it would make her even less fun and you’d be feeling even worse after dying.

2 Likes

Thing is, the devs needed mercy nerfed harder at higher ranks than lower ranks.

So they went with the right nerf.

It just wasn’t scaled properly when factoring in the Ana buff.

Right now, the most basic buff would be something like 55hps, and 1.25sec cast on Rez.

I already feel bad dying to a genji swift strike that caught up to me before I could fully reach my team while trying to GA to safety