How many people purchased an extra account to increase their SR rank?

it won’t. you will just fall back down. you have to be able to win occasional games with unfavored teams in order to stay at a given rank. ie you would have to be able to carry games at the new rank to be able to stay there, which is unlikely if you’re having trouble climbing out of where you are now

streaks have been shown to lead to toxicity in many games, so my opinion has been they try to minimize it.

As it is, people come on the boards to whine about losing 300 -500 SR, which i don’t know how in hell they manage to do that. just how much do you throw ?? but i guess if it’s over a couple days it’s possible

if a player’s actual accounts are stuck in low ranks like silver and gold then it’s highly unlikely that the player would be competent enough to play at a higher rank (diamond+) on a boosted account. When accounts get “stuck” in low ranks like silver and gold then they’re not stuck, that’s just the rank they belong at unless they improve

4 Likes

I actually intended for my alt to be lower so I could learn tanks. My main (this acc) used to be high plat. My alt is now higher than my main just because it had better placement matches this season feelsbadman. They used to both be around the same rating.

1 Like

I can’t remember the exact figures, but my account was in high silver after mostly being in high gold. I bought a new account because I thought Elo hell was keeping me back. My new account placed about 100 SR higher.

This made me realise that Elo hell wasn’t the issue at all, and that I needed to improve if I wanted to climb.

That realisation lead me to do a lot of research in to how to improve and a lot of self-criticising. During that season I made it to Diamond for the first time.

So, my new account didn’t drop to the same SR as my old one, but only because I realised that I actually needed to improve.

4 Likes

People say that quick play affects competitive. Those people are wrong. See Initial Competitive Skill Rating, Decrypted

To answer the OP’s question, when my main placed 1300, I made an alt who placed at 2156. After playing on both accounts for a hundred games, the gold account remained gold, and the sliver account remained silver (Overwatch Forums).

I then switched back to my main, almost full time. It took me a few hundred more games for it to catch up to my alt (in gold).

3 Likes

Excellent. Thanks, Kaawumba.

i got 2 new accounts… my main account has never been out of mid gold… on this account i think i lost 4 won 6 and placed high plat… the other account i grouped with buddies won all 10 and placed low GM… on the GM account its pretty much a win loss win loss 50/50 scenario… feels pretty balanced there… in gold OMFG the throwers and smurfs just rolling 4 or 5 of my teammates every game… this game is a mess

1 Like

But you’re back to Gold on this account…placing somewhere doesn’t mean you belong there. Initial placements are terrible, they haven’t been since season 3. I highly don’t you have a GM account that has a 50% win rate, but are struggling with gold.

Just so you all know, CptZoom is Zenren and Noobnoob. All 3 accounts are in Bronze, what does that say about the system? If his accounts placed in Silver, but dropped to Bronze.

1 Like

my main was plat (around 2.5k-2.7k). placed 3k on this acc and have been keeping mid-high diamond for about 4 seasons now :thinking:

The mentality behind this is simply the following: You might be good enough to keep playing around 500-750 SR higher than you are but climbing there is a different thing.

If you are stuck at 2300 you might be able to play at 2800 but there you will be avarage or maybe even sub par and kept there by your teammates and the often 50/50 matches created by MMR. To climb there however you need to be significantly better and very consistent in the rank you are currently.

1 Like

Isn’t 100SR differebce practically the same in gold/plat?

LOL… I’m everyone, everywhere. I could be you!

even 500 SR … I have seen people pop tac visor when half of the team is dead into two shields in low silver and in plat :smiley: In higher ranks people are getting more consistent and mechanically better on avarage but high silver to low gold feels mostly the same

1 Like

Pretty sure it does. Got 2.930 or so with my humblebundle copy and two of the losses were pure stomps, then I had a few bad games, a few good ones, I also had to off-role a few.

I did all the games pretty much solo in QP and placements.

Placement results was 6-4 or 7-3 I believe.

1 Like

I have placed multiple alt accounts between 900 to 1300 sr higher than main.

I have gone so far as to only play deathmatch on alt account up to level 25. Not a second of 6v6 quick play to speak of.

First comp game on alt account is always around 2400 to 2500 sr (I ask before game starts).

At 900 to 1300 sr above main, I am unable to keep alt account at that level. Main account does go up due to experience playing on higher sr alt accounts.

Overall, I would say alt and main accounts merge at about 500 sr above main.

1 Like

Did you check the SR of the players in the very first placement game?

That is the starting point I was talking about.

saying everyone that doesn’t play comp is 2350 is ridiculous. that means every quick play game is unbalanced piece of crap.

I have 3 accounts.
They all end near the same SR.

Main (ineedhealing) didn’t place yet, 3.2ish last
couple seasons.

Alt (cheersluv) is 3.2ish too. This one was usually 100-200 more because I tryharded more.

Smurf (this) is 2500 or something, didn’t finish climbing yet but I have like 0 desire to play right now.

What makes you think that you’re competent enough to play in a higher ELO when you have multiple accounts in lower ranks and can’t or barely climb?