How is Mercy's super jump not a bug?

Exactly, it’s literally not a bug, it’s just how her bunnyhop FEATURE which the Devs intentionally added to the game works.

Yes it is a bug but they’re not removing it for the same reason why they’re not removing Moira’s fade jump and Doomfists rocket punch jump. Brigitte’s superjump and her jump+sb+whipshot combo were removed because it gave an immobile hero too much mobility.

Edit: it also is kinda difficult to do consistently so it raises her already low skill ceiling by rewarding a player who can pull off a difficult maneuver with extra mobility/survivability.

Straight into the air also, making her an easy shot.

I think they did talk about removing it at one point but they never actually went through with it because it would’ve made her worse.

Well that’s just frightening hyperbole.

“Unplayable” without a gimmicky high jump that maybe .01% of the population actually employ…

Geesh.

2 Likes

Ahh… someone who can think about this logically. This is why I say it needs to either be made in to a feature for everyone (preferable) or removed if it’s a bug. This isn’t an MMORPG, so having features that only a small percentage of the population can enjoy isn’t something I want for the game. Skill ceiling is knowing when to use it, not knowing how to do it (opinion of course).

I’d really like to see them just allow her to double tap space to get some verticality.

It’s certainly both.

That’s why we have animation cancels, odd jumps, shield hops, weird translocator placement and so on.

Mercy already feels like 12 different synonyms for boring. You turn this feature into a double tap anyone could do, it would be like removing Dva’s melee cancels or Rein shield hop.

Let the players who invest some time and mechanical skill into Mercy be rewarded. The Doctor can’t even get on fire rate adjustment for Athena’s sake, she needs the opposite, her kit needs a lot more features like these.

I’m pretty sure the reason it’s considered a feature and not a bug, despite it never being officially mentioned, is because it existed for a build of Mercy on the ptr, then was patched. The community voiced that they actually liked the bug and would like it kept as a feature, and the bug returned in the next Mercy update. No additional comment needed. No fuss no muss.

At least, that’s how I remember it going.

2 Likes

they dont know it exists for sure

Why already kick Mercy when shes already down?

1 Like

Okay.

Oh… okay. So why the previous statement? No one has a problem doing it. You press Jump mid-GA. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

Dearie me… let’s give them something else to strip away to make our resident Angel a little more dull.

Do you mean the “normal” bunny jump where you press “jump” at the end of GA to increase your rang or you mean the “superjump” where you crouch+GA which katapults you into the air?

The first one was originally a bug but the Mercy community was very vocal about having it stay so they made it into a feature. (EDIT: it used to be broken and catapulting Mercy really far and fast, they made it to a consistent distance and speed). I think it’s great, it increases Mercy’s skill ceiling and gives her more depth to her movement.
The superjump might be a bug, I really hope they don’t patch it though. This again gives Mercy a higher skill ceiling, a Mercy who has mastered the superjump is nearly unkillable. It’s hard to pull it off consitently so mastering it should be rewarded (IMO). It still has limitations (unlike DFs current mobility), Mercy relies on her teammates being in her FoV and being far enough away to work (I somehow can’t make it work if they stand right beside me). She also needs to fully fly to her teammate to make the superjump, so she can’t always fly towards danger to be able to jump up because she’d probably die. Plus the flightpattern is so predictable, you’re a free kill for snipers if you do it in the open.

It already is. It was originally a bug that allowed Mercy’s to use her teammates to slingshot. A Mercy main can out fly Pharah without needing to use her ultimate just by taking advantage of her teammates tendency to bunnyhop.

When the physics got tweaked which affected it, they actually added code to replicate the slingshot effect, or atleast as close as they can.

Mercy isn’t even the first one. Lucio also had a bug that allowed him to accelerate while wallriding, that also got affected by a physics tweak and they also added code to replicate that behavior, tho to less success. And that got nerfed later on anyway… tho i’m not sure if the nerf is because it’s gameplay balance, or because they gave up trying to replicate it.