Hitscan is out of control

Thanks, so basically the same story as always…

If we look at the data we have a very diverse meta in which even projectile heroes have their place, but well it’s all about feelings :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah. If we look at Overbuff GM stats for this week,then at least half the roster is doing pretty decently. Which is better than what we could say for most of the previous metas. And if the ExC changes go through for the under-performing characters,then things will be even better slightly.

I don’t get why people complain about hitscans,when the ones that are complained about the most (Soldier,Widow,etc) have a 4% pickrate at best. Which isn’t over-performing in the slightest? The highest picked DPS in GM is Tracer at a nearly 6% pickrate,but most people seem to be fine with her.

Also,Mercy has literally twice the pickrate of those aforementioned hitscan heroes,but people are very against changing her :man_shrugging: I don’t freaking know anymore lol

1 Like

My theory:
People are used to OW being in a crappy state, used to complain, but forget what they want and what being in a good state actual is.

This makes it really hard to shift the blame from “I’m bad, I need to git gud” to “the game is bad”, hence why we see these wild abstract ideas and people defending these ideas like crazy

3 Likes

Admittedly,the game still has some glaring flaws,such as QP matchmaking being nonexistent,Arcade being a mess in many ways,hero switching being an incredibly clunky mechanic,many heroes remaining in F Tier for literal years at this point,annoying or game-breaking bugs appearing in almost every patch,etc.

But yes,the game is much better nowadays than during the era of GOATs or Double Barrier.

1 Like

We don’t include those because those are not your traditional hitscan heroes. Bastion is a Builder and just straight trash, Ana is a support, and Reaper is not what we mean by “hitscan”. We just say hitscan because we assume people know what we talk about.

Oh yes much better now that Ashe, Widow, Soldier, etc. have zero shields to stop them from dominating matches. I LOVE this current balance!!!

:confused:

Clarification, I like the game without shields. I don’t like the game where Hitscans are given free reign to dominate games in the name of “skill”

Yes please. It’s about time projectiles/non-traditional hitscan heroes get the stage. But I doubt they’ll nerf hitscans to the point of making the others viable, or buffing the others to be viable, since the devs probably watch hitscan montages 24/7 to satisfy their OWL viewership fetish.

You can blame the devs and them introducing Sigma.

If it wasn’t for him,barriers wouldn’t have become meta and wouldn’t have gotten nerfed. A lot of people seem to agree that he destroyed tank balance :man_shrugging:. Double Barrier could’ve been a thing before his release with Reinhardt and Orisa,but it wasn’t.

(Kinda like how quad tank-double support was played as a joke sometimes with Moira,but a similar comp didn’t become meta until Brig’s release.)

In my opinion,Sigma is the reason D.Va got pushed out of the meta in the first place. He’s the reason Orisa got nerfed unfairly so much.

P.S.: Other FPS games don’t even have barriers or healing,so OW still has it better with more ways to deal with hitscans.

1 Like

We ain’t talking about other FPS. Hitscans in OW have a multitude of ways to get around Barriers (hence one of the reasons Ashe was Meta during Double Shield). And every meta after Brig was released has just messed up projectile heroes. GOATs is self explanatory, Double Shield made most DPS pretty bad. And even then, Doommettra were subsequently nerfed because somehow that would fix the tank balance??? When Double shields went off, that was probably the best the game had been in imo. Then it came back and now instead of Doommettra, we had Genji Ashe.

I think I fully agree with this, he was the worst thing to have happened to the state of Overwatch overall, not just tanks. I remember so many people (including myself) quitting the game a few weeks after his release, I think I didn’t come back to playing until 6-7 months later.

3 Likes

Weren’t you the same person in another thread saying how Widow will “finally have a weakness just like snipers in other FPS games”? So are we talking about other FPS games or not?

Besides,the meta DPS during Double Barrier were Mei and Reaper. I don’t know about Doomfist,but Symmetra had a 4% pickrate at highest,which is just middle of the pack.

1 Like

So many heroes got unfairly nerfed because of Sigma and Double Barrier,I’m still annoyed about it over a year later.

2 Likes

That might not have been me. I have said that people who want OW to be like other FPS games should be happy if Widow gets things like Breath control, recoil, etc.

This I can agree with. Like I said in my post, nerfing the DPS or Supports won’t make the Tank meta balanced again. I have said this so often.

1 Like

And yet,during both GOATs and Double Barrier,people kept saying that nerfing DPS would stop those metas :man_facepalming: Ah yes,because making it so Mercy can’t damage boost Dragonstrike/D.Va bomb/RIP-tire anymore was totally not what ended GravDragon meta. (for example)

Anyway.

If I could,I would either delete Brig/Sigma or rework them to a point where them being strong doesn’t mean they enable some nonsense meta,which then results in other heroes getting nerfed unfairly.

1 Like

Glad we could find some common ground on this.

I wouldn’t go as far as deleting them, as I find Sigma’s dominance a mix of 2-2-2 RoleQ, and his synergy with Orisa (which is still his fault of course). Brig, though, has really no other excuse. She was OP at release and completely changed the Meta. She forced in a lot of DPS power creep and ultimately led to Sigma’s dominance in hand with RoleQ, altogether destroying the games balance even more.

1 Like

Hitscan really aren’t oppressively overpowered, they’re just consistent if you can land shots. There are plenty of people who can’t play hitscan well.

2 Likes

-looks at the past 6 months of nerfs to McCree, Widow & Ashe- :thinking:

You don’t have to play hitscan, you can play whatever you want.

2 Likes

Imagine being so threatened … by Hitscans in general (Widow has been overtuned for years but suddenly “now” is a problem) that you claim they are out of control, because Soldier now is not trash.

In an FPS.
In a First Person Shooter.

Really? What changed “now” for hitscans? Because Ashe’s damage was nerfed, Widow has been Top 5 DPS for ever. What seems to be the problem “now”?

Only the niche hero 1 trick would hate the state of the game right now. Out of all heroes in the game, Hitscans are the least frustrating heroes to die to, since the outcomes are distilled down to whoever can react faster and can aim more accurately instead of whoever has the better cheese button. You can’t deny skill when you get killed by hitscans, but you always has that iffy feeling when you randomly die to an RNG orb/grenade/arrow or a Doomfist blind punch or get frozen by Mei ect

3 Likes