High Ping to Korean Servers (Asia)

Greetings, I live in Japan and when routing to Japanese servers, my ping is normal as expected (maybe 20 - 40ms.) However, when connecting to Korean servers (ich1), my ping is consistently over 180ms every time.

Now I’m no geography expert, but it doesn’t make any sense why my ping should be hitting 200ms to Korean servers. I have no idea what to do to fix this problem, but since the Korean servers account for maybe 75% of my queues, it’s pretty frustrating.

I DO know that from using CTRL+SHIFT+N that the issue is related to RTT. Anyone else had this issue? Thanks!

Depending on where you live in Japan, the distance to reach the Korean server (by broadband) may be farther than you expect. Looking at the submarine cable map, I only see one direct inbound and one direct outbound cable for Japan to Korea, in Kyushu.

Imgur

There are other cables that connect with Korea from farther northeast in Japan, but they take a much longer route (along the entire east and south coasts of the islands, then wrapping around to Korea).

Imgur

Edit: It’s also possible that the submarinecablemap site’s utility isn’t showing the full story, but this is my best guess at the increased ping.

Woah, I never realized this, huh. I’m surprised it’s not more spoken about by the people I play with on Japan’s servers given the fact that most of my games are being based on Korean servers (I would assume due to player count). Regardless, I appreciate the thorough response - I wonder if there’s anything on my end I can do to increase the chances of being placed in a game on Japan’s servers (such as gtk1).

If you don’t live in Tokyo specifically, you might be able to VPN into Tokyo. But if players aren’t available for the modes you’re queuing for, or in your rank, the game client will seek out the other servers.