High ping after season 10 update

After the season 10 update my ping is unreasonably high. Normally it’s about 30-40, but immediately after the update it’s now 90-250 with 150 being the norm. I’ve done everything on the support page that is recommended and nothing has worked. I also installed OW2 on my PS5 and the ping is 45 there so I know my network in general isn’t the problem. I have run a few games and all of them have normal ping values as well so I have narrowed it down to specifically an OW2 issue, and I’m out of ideas.

Edit: The problem is that even though I’m connecting to the American servers, the game is putting me into European servers. I got suspicious because I switched the European servers by choice just to check, and my ping actually went down. So I used CTRL+Shift+N to check, and the server code was asm1 as expected. When I switched to the US servers, it stayed asm1 with the exact same ping. I initially made sure my VPN wasn’t running, but now I have it turned on and I’m connected to Chicago, and when I launched the game it put me in the US server and the code was ord1. So something is going on where the game is deciding to put me in the European servers rather than US servers. For now I can at least play using my VPN with 40 ping, but I’m not sure if that’s true ping or not since it’s connected through a VPN. Regardless, it’s better than 150. Some help/ideas would be appreciated though.

1 Like

If a VPN fixes the issue it means your ISP is routing your traffic in a suboptimal or incorrect way, which is landing you on AMS1, aka Amsterdam.

Sometimes this clears up on its own, but you should tell the ISP it is happening. Just say you are getting the EU version of websites.

I’ll try to fix it through my ISP, but I’ve played regularly before the update and never had any issues. I’m also not getting the same problems on any other games or on PS5.

1 Like

Game updates don’t change servers you land on unless your region didn’t have a server before. That would not be the case for you.

I have now confirmed it is not an issue on any other PC in the house. Both other desktops, both PS5s, and my laptop all have normal ping. So this desktop I’m currently on is the only thing this I’m having an issue with. I’m not going to bother calling my ISP. Now I’m connecting more often than not to Asian servers.

Change the DNS on that PC.

I tired two different DNS settings and neither worked. I called my ISP and they say everything looks normal on their end. I’m just going to uninstall all the network drivers and reinstall them, and if that doesn’t work then I’m going to do a Windows reinstall.

Edit: As an aside, I know you’re tech support and not one of the devs, but is there any possibility of some setting, either maximum acceptable ping or an option to actually choose your own server, being available at some point? Like I know the game has been out for a while and it has never been a thing before, but in Rocket League I can specify the servers I’m allowed to connect to, and in Warframe I can set a maximum allowed ping. Those seem like reasonable things to have in a competitive game.

Edit2: Neither of those did anything. So I guess the game is actually just unplayable for me since I am out of ideas now.

I’m a volunteer and don’t work at Blizzard, so I don’t have any proprietary insight about what features may appear in the game.

If the issue is specific to that computer, then it could be the port you’re using on the router, network software that is being installed automatically by Windows for specific hardware (like KillerNIC), or perhaps an issue with your network settings in Overwatch.

Ahh, well thank you for volunteering. I plugged my ethernet cable into my laptop just to make sure it wasn’t the port, and that was fine. So far I might have solved it. The last two times I’ve loaded OW it has connected me to the correct server. I used Revo Uninstaller to remove every single blizzard related thing from my PC down to the registry, and then reinstalled Battlenet and OW. So fingers crossed that this is actually a long term fix.

Edit:… it did not fix it long term…

You’ve been playing on WiFi the entire time? Are the other devices on WiFi too?

Windows has this weird setting that swaps between WiFi and Ethernet to follow the best signal, which can cause disconnects.

No, I’ve been playing through ethernet. the only thing that was using wifi was my laptop and that was fine over wifi. Then I figured I’d test the laptop connected to the ethernet cable that’s normally in my desktop, and it was still fine. I have no idea if it’s swapping between ethernet or wifi though. It’s really weird because it’s genuinely just a crapshoot whether I get into the Chicago server or not. When I don’t it usually sends me to the same server for some amount of time before switching. When I edited the previous response I was on the Sydney server, and when I immediately reloaded the game I was back on ord1. So I genuinely have no idea. Also, the VPN does not work. I thought it did initially, but it hasn’t worked since that first day.

Edit: Also, just for more details, I created a new user profile on my PC to see if for some reason it was some windows profile setting that was messing with things, and that didn’t solve anything either. Maybe I’ll do a full wipe of Windows in a couple weeks, but for now I don’t really want to do that. Especially when I’m not sure that would fix it.

I can’t think of anything on Windows that would send you to different servers other than the DNS or a VPN.

Yeah, I give up at this point lol. I’ve spent way too much time on this. Thanks for trying to help.