High dpi low sense same thing as vice versa?

My mouse is subpar. Comes stock with 5 dpi settings 400-4k. But can’t tell which I’m on. (Ya I know).and no software with it. Stuck with this mouse ATM. Anyway. Mose pro players run 800 dpi and 4-8 sens. I run 4k dpi wnr 1.70-2 sens. Which is very close I feel accurate. But I’m just wondering in general. Is 4k dpi and 1 sense. Same as say 400 dpi and 10 sense?

High dpi and low sensitivity is to prevent pixel skips so that when you sweep your mouse to get that sick head shot you don’t miss because you skipped over their head.

1 Like

So high dpi low sense has same effect as low dpi and high sense? If they both ewuate to to 5k total it’s the same no?

Yeah, DPI doesn’t matter that much as long as you get smooth cursor movement. Sensitivity multiplier is what you have to be concerned with.

Isn’t that mouse acceleration? Set dpi to max then set sens down to a comfortable level.

Does not matter in the slightest. Use DPI based on your preferances while moving mouse on your screen while out of games (such as browsing etc.) and then set ingame sens to whatever you want. There is no reason to set 15000dpi (it’s just marketing to fool clueless people).

The only thing that causes irregularities is Mouse Acceleration (some mice had it forced and you can’t even turn it off) and Polling rate (sometimes skipping frames if set higher than 500). Other than that you are good.

What’s that?. My dpi is 4k and sens is 1.90 atm. Which is pretty on par with the he whole 800 7.5 sens theme. It’s the same on paper no?

1 Like

You can use this tool (dpianalyzer on mouse-sensitivity dot com) to figure out your DPI. It won’t be a whole number, so just round to the nearest hundredth.

Yes, high dpi and low sensitivity = low dpi high sensitivity, distance wise. Lower sensitivity can mean pixel skips depending on your resolution. Use this tool (look for pyrolistical’s dpi tool on Github) to figure out if you suffer from pixel skipping or not.

If you do suffer from it increase your DPI and lower your sensitivity, making sure to keep the same ratio so you don’t have to re-train your muscle memory.

When you do change your DPI make sure it divides evenly into your mouse’s native DPI (you’ll have to look up the sensor your mouse uses). If you do an uneven DPI ratio the driver will do smoothing which can mess up your tracking. This is why 400, 800, and 1600 are so popular - they are typically even ratios between most (all?) sensors.

A good example of this is my Deathadder Chroma has a default DPI of 6400 (seems to be native?). If you set this to 1000, you have a ratio of 6.4 which is uneven. However, 1600 gives you a ratio of 4, which is a whole number.

2 Likes

Ok, let me tell you this. You won’t ever be able to know the best DPI settings because there are too many variables. It depends on your resolution (if you have 2k+, use higher DPI, if not, 800 should be perfect). Then there is mouse native DPI steps. Mice have their sensors configurated at certain native DPI (CPI) with 100% precision. This fact is why you see large amount of pros running 400/800 DPI, because old mice (and it is the safest option atm too) had native DPI at those values. And finally even DPI increments.

The guy above me wrote it pretty accurate, so use that.

I’m using 700 DPI on a log. g403, 3 sens ingame and 6 on 10 with mouse acceleration off in window’s control panel. Make sure you find the perfect settings for YOU and never change it to build that muscle memory. Also, run the game on low settings with character model on high, get a large mouse pad and a monitor running on 144hz.

Tip: I find that the best way to practice your aim is to play free-for-all games. Every character in the game has a different way of moving around, the key is to know where to aim when you flash a bobble head Zarya, pre-aiming where a Genji will end up after he double jumps, predicting a Tracer’s recall… and etc. Practice against real players! Don’t do Ana bots or shooting range it’s counter-productive…

I just set mine based on what feels good, not on how it is ingame. I use the fingertip grip, so my entire range of motion is about 2 inches across (the width of a mouse). Regardless of mouse resolution whether i was using a high DPI gaming mouse or an office mouse, it’s always set to allow me to do a full 360 turn in two inches (i.e. one full swipe on a fingertip grip).

Something good to be aware of is that even the best sensors use interpolation and smoothing when you use CPI (DPI) higher than about 2,100. I’d recommend anywhere between ~800 and that value, depending on your screen resolution and what is comfortable for you.

To expand a bit on what others have said, the sensitivity in-game will determine the smallest distance (how precisely) you can move your crosshair. A smaller value will mean a smaller increment, which can make the game feel smoother to a point. At 1080p, it’s best to have it around 4 or below, but that’s far less important than having it at something comfortable for you to use.