Hero pools= one tricks not playing comp

Why did I spend like 20 minutes of my life reading this argument between EngineAngel and WhiteSnow?

This is such a bad argument though because my response to this is just … Good? I really don’t want one-tricks in the game, so … Bye? Like, what are you hoping to get out of saying this? People who play D.Va and never switch even when they’re getting hard countered by the Zarya, Moira, and Mei on the enemy team make this game miserable. So … posts like this are making me like the idea of hero pools more and more.

1 Like

Maybe we don’t understand each other.

If that is the case then you gotta try to fix them. Either by learning to improve in QP. Or maybe switching heroes. Keep in mind playing a hero you have no experience with will often lead you to have mistakes like this.

So I will play QP until I am ready, then play comp.

This will likely affect flex-players as well. When a OTP is forced to pick another hero that they are not familiar with then the entire team will suffer. There will be much hate and anger, morale will be terrible, and people will get reported and banned.

As I said above, the biggest problem with this argument is that (unless you’re being coached) it’s impossible to know what mistakes you’re making until you’re playing in Comp. I gave my experience with Baptiste as an example–I had a lot of experience using Baptiste during the weeks he was added to QP before he was finally put in Comp. I was “confident” in my ability to use him properly because I was stomping games in QP.

Then, I went to Comp and lost game after game after game without understanding what I was doing wrong. Trying to play in QP again just led to me winning more games in QP, but losing in Comp, and not seeing how or why I was getting punished.

QP only gives you confidence in basic mechanics. It is bad at teaching you how to avoid mistakes.

Good luck with that, then.

In other words… No one cares.

You’re free to one trick, but the game is built around the assumption that you will play multiple heroes. If you put yourself in a position where you can’t play because one hero is unavailable, that is not the developer’s fault.

2 Likes

I respect that, but at least with QP you can possibly train to not make them. Or maybe not make them at all.

Even then it still better than going in clueless. To be fair Bap was pretty underpowered during launch. I still think you are a good Bap though.

Thank you, good luck to you too.

Practicing a hero in comp is NOT soft throwing.

If they are genuinely trying to win and want to improve in an actually competitive environment, they should be free to do so without the threat of being called a thrower

1 Like

No, you can’t. Again, going with the Baptiste example, there was NO way to train not to make the mistakes I made in QP, because no one punished those mistakes in QP. The only way I could learn the right way to play was by trial-and-error in competitive play.

No, I was just using Bap wrong in QP, because I didn’t know the right time or place to use his abilities. For example, I wouldn’t Regen Burst a Dive hero before they went in because in QP, it was more useful to keep the Regen burst to save a dying team. In Comp, that was a bad idea, and it wasn’t possible “train” how to do it right in QP because the things you see in QP are sometimes things that ONLY happen in Quick Play, where everyone else is trying to “train”, too.

For example, let’s say I Regen Burst a Genji in QP but he goes in and dies anyway–so I think “Oh okay, that was a waste…it doesn’t help Genji if I regen boost him, so I’ll just stop doing it.” But what I wouldn’t know is that the reason that player died was because he was a Lucio main with no experience on Genji. By using QP as my trial-and-error, I come to the wrong conclusion based on facts that ONLY EXIST within Quick Play. So, when I get to a competitive match, I use that same conclusion and don’t Burst Genji, even though THIS Genji player actually has dozens of hours on the character and would be able to get a lot more picks if he had self-healing for 5 seconds.

That’s exactly why QP is so bad at teaching you how to play the game. You will make decisions based on factors that ONLY exist within Quick Play.

You could flip what you said and make it as one person putting their fun over 5 other people potentially, and they should find a group of one tricks and form a team of one tricks. Who’s worse honestly? Potentially 5 people, or the 1?

One-tricks not queuing up for comp?

Ohhhh nooooooooo…

How will we ever deal with this absolute injustice?

1 Like

I see this as an absolute win

2 Likes

It is a win for those that see switching as the only way to adapt and if that is you that’s great but remember your playstyle is not the only playstyle in the game. Nothing should negatively affect any player in my opinion. Just like I would be against not allowing you to switch I am against not allowing me and other one tricks the option to play our chosen hero. This change is very much a negative change for the game.

If that’s how he choose to play the game then so be it.

Blizzard have said before they do not agree or necessarily want one-tricks, if you can only play one hero, ranked itself isn’t really the best mode to play.

1 Like

This is a game about switching to adapt to the situation. Your “playstyle” is antithetical to the core concept the game is built around.

This change is very much a negative change for the game.

not for people who know how to play more than 3% of the characters in the game

4 Likes

Why is switching to a hero I a) can’t play well and b) don’t enjoy the only way you feel is the right way to adapt ? Why is changing HOW I play as D’Va not also a valid way to adapt ?

that is perfectly fine, you dont have to ruin the game for everyone else just because you feel like playing something you don’t know how to play, if your answer is that you won’t be playing the game because you cant ruin it for everybody then by all means, don’t play or at least stay away from competitive

Nah, learn more heroes.

One-tricks are largely useless if their hero isnt a must pick.

Switching is the best way to adapt, as it is a drastic change and the game is at least largely based around counter-play. Sticking with what is already failing, and trying something slightly different, is stupid and we all know it.

3 Likes

But 2/2/2 was your dream.

Can you say karma?

If it’s any consolation, hero pool changes frequently and only in comp.

1 Like