Hero bans are GOOD for the game

I do see the issue rising if people cannot select the hero they want to play. People are already toxic when they cannot play what they want, hero bans will make that worse. If my main hero is banned as a healer, I can promise, it will likely be a sure loss for the entire team.

1 Like

The only argument that matters is that you are actively telling other players who they can and cant play and i am 100% against that and if added to the game i will refuse to vote for any bans ever

2 Likes

They’ll find a way to ruin it, like they did with 2/2/2

1 Like

If you look at it in terms of statistics, then the game’s balance state will objectively be improved with the implementation of hero bans.

You can make other subjective arguments, but the fact is that when you introduce more data (ban rate in this case), Blizzard has another metric by which to balance their game, and that is a good thing.

1 Like

Fully true. Except maybe in Quick Play.

Sometimes I just want to queue in for a game as my favorite character. I should be able to every single QP game unless someone already picked them.

In comp, yeah you probably shouldn’t one trick anyway in a game that’s supposed to be about switching on the fly.

This is a problem because the players playing overwatch have no idea what an over powered hero really is. Everyone keeps saying that Widowmaker is overpowered. Why? They don’t like one shots or they think “games shouldn’t have hitscans in 2020”.

Those two opinions are completely stupid.

First of all, less heros = less options is just true. That equalling less fun is up to the player to decide. All I know is it’d be scummy for the enemy to ban snipers when they’re planning on running a sniper heavy team, or banning Orisa when they’re planning on running Mei for a few reasons.

1.) It could force you to play very specifically to counter their snipers. You need Orisa and Sigma now otherwise you’re just getting sniped. You may think “Oh, you mean how everyone has to play a certain meta anyway?” and my response to that is “Yes”.

People are talking about bans as if its going to get rid of metas. It won’t. Its just going to give birth to a bunch of new mini metas where you play a meta comp in relation to what heroes the enemies banned from you.

Also

Eeeh, no. The best hero will just rise from that. The hero could be anyone, but eventually the best choice will become the new must pick. Widows banned, but we need a sniper. Prepare to see ashe and bob in every game.

Restricting heroes by adding role queue was already a headache for a lot of people and drove queue times up the wall. Further restricting players by having characters get removed from play could have the same effect due to players not wanting to play that role anymore or wanting to play the role with the most options in case of bans.

Well, that’s a logical argument for you based on something that already happened to us.

True.

I really doubt people will care about losing SR to jump ship from a game where their main gets banned. Of course, they’d be the jerks for that, not blizzard for banning heroes.

I mean, after 10 minutes, I just want to play. Though I’m not really going to have a problem with an extra 30 seconds because I queue for tanks.

Heres a quick reminder that we’re always going to have a meta. Even with hero bans.

Lmao, can you link me to someone saying this? I mean, all of my posts can be boiled down to me saying “I just have a bad feeling”, but my posts usually have examples, reasons and junk based on logic.

Please explain how it objectively makes it better.

Hero ban rate is a statistic that Blizzard can collect. It is just like pick rates and win rates. However, pick rate and win rate data has led Blizzard to believe that Genji and Soldier are somehow in a healthy state.

Ban rates provide a third statistic to help Blizzard in their hero balancing, by giving them more data and insight into which heroes are more powerful. High ban rates indicate power. Whereas it is possible for an extremely powerful character to have a bad win rate (high skill, so noobs play and feed, but still good when played well), if that hero is banned instead, the evidence of their power level is clear.

More data will never hurt. With hero bans, hopefully Blizzard will be able to move hero balancing back in the right direction.

1 Like

None of this is objective, though. You said that hero bans is objectively a good thing; what you’re providing is a speculation of what hero bans MIGHT do for balance, which isn’t objective. :confused:

3 Likes

More data is objectively better than less data. How is this subjective in any way?

1 Like

Legitimate concern :
Hero bans will be used to target one tricks and those with mains to harass them.
Legitimate concern :
Hero bans will cause a more stale meta as all matches will be mirror of the heroes left after the banned heroes from a list of which to ban is used
Legitimate concern :
the hero roster is not large enough to support banning heroes currently
Legitimate concern :
this is not a MOBA

1 Like

Ok well if you read my post, I have answers to half of your claims.

2 Likes

Yes but your answers are wrong, all those are legitimate concerns.
I am a one trick. the game specifically was marketed as a team based shooter with a diverse cast where you can choose from different types of heroes to play. I play one of those as I don’t like the rest (especially in the very restrictive tank roster) . If my hero gets banned then I’m stuck throwing, do you want me throwing on your team because you don’t like the one hero I can play well ( or with if the other tank picks her but you are removing that option too) ?
Hero bans = forced throwing or dropping games. It does nothing to improve the quality of the game.

Except if you play supports or tanks, in which the damage role outnumbers them more than 2:1, and the other heroes aren’t your playstyle.

I do swap when it doesn’t work, but 9/10 times, I don’t need to swap. And since I play off meta, the people who are telling me it “doesn’t work” are telling me before the match even starts. I really don’t want to be policed by others on how to play the game, especially when blizzard doesn’t even have an even roster to make that feature fair.

1 Like

No offense but you didn’t exactly give a reason why it’s bad for the game.

So then tell me, in what aspect hero ban would hurt you ?

I personally feel hero ban is an extremely good idea and has very few downsides. What I want is the possibility to remove boring strats from my games. What is it you want ? Or fear ?

Who would unironically ban Dva in 2020?

On a more serious note: if you can only play Dva and you only want to play Dva (or any character for that matter), then competitive is NOT the game mode you should be playing. You can go have fun playing Dva in quick play. But if you are going to choose only one hero, regardless of situation, regardless of your team’s needs, and regardless of the enemy’s comp, then how are you playing a team game? You said it yourself. Overwatch is a TEAM based shooter. If you aren’t going to play with your team, then why do you belong in the game?

2 Likes

I want to have a chance (out of the two tanks) to play the hero I want to play, if I can’t then I want to play with them.
Hero bans can remove that choice.
Plain and simple there is nothing gained from hero bans except a more restrictive meta and I don’t care about the meta at all.

1 Like

My only issue is that sometimes I just want to play Hog, or soldier, etc… I would hate for that said character to be banned and I would hate to do that same thing to someone else.
However, this is if it was implemented into everything and not just comp. I play differently in comp, as in I play around my teams set up to create the best synergy (i’m decent at most the characters). My only qualm is if this is put into all game modes.

Jackal in seige is a prime example of this. He wasn’t strong, but his ability was annoying to play against so he was consistently banned until they fixed him.

Maybe you shouldn’t of chosen to be a one trick and actually played the game properly through working with your team?

1 Like